Can you help with log splitter knowledge?
Close

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By old white truck
  • 1 Post By Padilen
  • 1 Post By rbm
  • 1 Post By BillMichaels
  • 1 Post By williamemack
  • 2 Post By old white truck

Thread: Can you help with log splitter knowledge?

Can you help with log splitter knowledge?

My Dad's 90th birthday is coming up. He has spent a great deal of his life cutting firewood for heat, exercise and as a hobby. It has allowed him to stay fit and healthy and sometimes even I have trouble keeping up with him.

I would like to get him some help on the larger, knottier, rounds of fir.

My brother and I are considering buying him a log splitter for his birthday.

I wondered if any of you use splitters or know about them? I see them ranging from 10 - 35 tons and priced from $1000 to $3000. Based on the size & type of wood he needs help with I am guessing we will be closer to the upper end of the power range. I also know we will want one of the models that can split in both the horizontal and vertical positions. Other than that, I am not sure what I am looking for (brands, features, etc.)?

Anyone have any experience they can share?

Thanks.

No he won't need a larger one. The 20-22 tons work good. 5.5-6.5 horse I think. 4x24. $1000
    But loading a log splitter is hard. You have to lift the big un split. Or have a vertical / horizontal. -reread post you want that feature .
    Mine is homemade but similar to a husky from TSC.
    Just checked phone I don't have any pics- and loaned my splitter to my friend.
    I think Northern tool has a nice selection. I like the Idea of a 4-way wedge. But my chunks are way to big for that to work.
    I like bigger wheels that are road legal. I loan mine out and my church has a firewood ministry and uses it too.
    So it gets around.
    Would he have help? It's still a lot of work.
    old white truck likes this.

rbm
    Go for one that can do horizontal and vertical for sure, after that, read the reviews and buy the largest one in your price range. More power is always better for larger rounds.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Check out "Iron and Oak". Very happy with mine. I think I bought it 4 yrs ago from "Buy Ace Hardware dot com". Way cheaper than my local "Tool and Saw" shops.
    1998 HD FLHTC

2004 TW200

2004 TW200

I like that!!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

winters in Sudbury, MA, summer on Squam Lake, NH
    Check out the Timberwolf,www.timberwolfcorp.com/brand. Considered the best in these New England parts. You can buy a basic model and then add a log lift and a splitting table later.
    I sell TW200 stickers for $2.00ea. delivered. See Hidden Content for details. Hidden Content

2014 TW, DMO pegs, Yamaha rack, Doubletake mirrors, Jimbo shield, extended pilot screw, Snapback clock, Ebay risers, Seat Concepts, o-ring chain, Ricochet skidplate, brake leash, IMS folding shift lever, ProCycle tool tube, 130 main jet and two shims, route sheet holder, compass, temp/humidity
    indicator.

I still use a wedge and sledge, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help.

You guys are great. Thanks for getting me started on figuring this out.

Padilen - thanks for being the first to answer and thanks for your personal experience. We don't have any TSCs in Oregon so the Huskee brand is out. Except... The Huskee brand is made by Speeco and there are Speeco units available around here at our Coastal Farm and Ranch stores. I will take a look at those. I really like your comment that he won't need a larger one. It is hard for us to justify those in the higher $$$ range for our non-commercial use.

Williemack - thanks for the info on the TimberWolf. I took your advice and researched those. From everything I can read you are right - those are the Cadillac of log splitters. However, the price range on those is out of reach. Thanks though.

RBM and Padilen - thanks for the input - we will definitely get one with a vertical option.

Qwerty - your method is what my dad has been using for decades. We are just trying to give him an option for the larger, knottier stuff.

Revelation - Great videos. I don't know much about horses. How the heck do they convince that horse to do that? I expected to see a carrot dangling in front of him.

Bill Michaels - I looked at the Iron and Oak website and it led me to a great idea. There is a place on that website that mentions rentals. It turns out that there is a location near me that rents that brand of log splitter. It also looks like Home Depot rents another brand of splitter. I think I will looking into renting a splitter at one of the places around here and get an idea on sizing and features and use that to help make our decision. Thank you also for the feedback on your personal experience with that brand.

Like I said, you guys are great.

This is what we use at work and a friend that sells wood swears by his and our Home Depot rents them too.The Speeco's have a very weak hitch and are way heavier then they need to be at least the ones I've seen and used do.
    Wallenstein WX Series Wood Splitters - Wallenstein Outdoor Power Equipment Made in Canada

here's my homemade one and a few of the split wood.
    1030101112a.jpg1030101128a.jpg1030101128b.jpg

Sponosred Links