Getting In Shape for Adventure Ride 2015
Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Getting In Shape for Adventure Ride 2015

Post Getting In Shape for Adventure Ride 2015

Part #1:

After Six Months of owning/soft riding my 2014 t~dub I have decided to make some changes in my lifestyle that would allow this 65 year old body to get out and ride some serious dual sport riding next Season.....

After my check up at the VA in Columbus last month, my blood work came back as I suspected...somewhat high Cholesterol levels{total 266/Bad 160} and borderline Hgb Blood Sugar being elevated....weight was up to 195...now this is nothing compared to my competition weight lifting days...I was 220 and had High Blood Pressure and was pre diabetic by the time I got my head out of my backside...I dropped down to 183 and felt pretty good, albeit by my 63rd birthday I was in the Hospital for Carotid Artery surgery...nice BD Present...since that time I have been back and forth on the Healthy/Unhealthy line...still working out and officiating umpiring upwards of 200 High School and College Contests per year, I try to stay in good condition, but you can't stop Mother Nature and Father Time...but you can try to put them a bay for a few more years...

I no longer weight lift in any competitive form{like my younger 59 yr old cousin}: Houseworth: Powerlifting Champ Next Door | The Community Post

But I still hit the lighter weights and walk, along with my running up and down football fields in Autumn, basketball courts Winter, and baseball fields in the Spring and Summer...BUT that's not enough.....so back from the Vietnam Reunion in Kokomo, I began anew....a more healthy diet, less fat, less Red Meat, fewer Cigars and less{but not quiting to be sure} Beer...

So here I go....already down to 189{first time below 190 since Summer of 2011} and with more energy than just a week ago, I am ready, willing, and hopefully able, to get down to 175 and get into a climbing and incline walking{at my age, running IMO is useless and harmful} regiment to be ready to rumble on the TW for the Long Haul next season as a 66 year old....wish me luck, I'm gonna need it, but will keep periodic posting on the progress....If it doesn't Kill Me!
    Last edited by Hoot Gibson; 09-24-2014 at 09:07 AM.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Good luck to you. May you have many, many days of riding ahead of you!
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

If you have dogs, work and walk(get yank/pulled by them) even if they get enough exercise on their own. There isn't a bone in my body that hasn't taken a hit over the years and plenty of arthritis. I make my own walking sticks. Helps with artificial parts. We all deteriorate over time, but can't let time determine for us how we attempt at least to live our lives. In my case it's motorcycles that aren't quite as powerful or heavy as in the past. Also, I now use an hydraulic log splitter almost as much as a maul. Take care and may you have fair weather flying.
    Fred and Hoot Gibson like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ambitious, noble and worthy goals there Hoot. It ain't easy getting back in shape, especially the diet sacrifices. But you seem to have the determination and discipline to make it happen. And the 'it", adventure touring, need not be that strenuous if you take it easy with moderate daily goals. Shucks, the TW seat would chase me out of the saddle after a hundred miles or so anyways. Glad to hear of your plans, go for it.
    littletommy and Hoot Gibson like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

GNOLLS.ORG - Home of J. Stanton and The Gnoll Credo

Eat like a predator, not like prey
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

frozen wasteland of the barren north, Yukon Territory, Canada
    You can do it Hoot! I have no doubt.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkfchef View Post
    GNOLLS.ORG - Home of J. Stanton and The Gnoll Credo

Eat like a predator, not like prey
    Believe me MK, I eat well, no fried foods, eat butter, fruits, veggies, chicken, fish, and plenty of Pork, along with Red Meat....but...I have reduced it to 2000 calories and less than 150 carbs per day, even with the beers, and that seems to work, plenty of workout time, and officiating....BUT, I'm still 65 1/2 and have the family history....saying that, compared to the way most 65 age folks live, I'm in pretty good shape....BUt{another BUT}, you still have to work at it....
    Mkfchef likes this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
    Believe me MK, I eat well, no fried foods, eat butter, fruits, veggies, chicken, fish, and plenty of Pork, along with Red Meat....but...I have reduced it to 2000 calories and less than 150 carbs per day, even with the beers, and that seems to work, plenty of workout time, and officiating....BUT, I'm still 65 1/2 and have the family history....saying that, compared to the way most 65 age folks live, I'm in pretty good shape....BUt{another BUT}, you still have to work at it....
    Awesome!! Good to hear... With your workout and training history I figured you knew a thing or two about how to eat! I started primal/paleo eating 2 1/2 years ago after I unexpectedly lost my mother to cancer. The restricted food choices took effort and discipline which gave me something to focus on besides dwelling on the tragic loss. I'm not 100% at sticking to it but I stay pretty close. It's definitely leaned me up. I try to avoid wheat as much as possible....except in beer of course!

Keep us posted and keep at it!
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
    Just keep on keeping, and somewhere I read that beer was the "staff of life", or was it "the stuff of life?" Maybe just in my imagination.
    Last edited by dogonit; 09-24-2014 at 01:13 PM.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

Good Luck! I have worked out my entire life, born the son of a wrestling coach and went from there....
    I started working out with kettle bells 3 months ago and love it, good functional strength for everyday life. Check out onnit.com (I'm in no way affiliated, just like their products and free videos.....) I couple the bells with cycling, skiing, hiking etc.
    I hit 50 this year and can for sure tell the body is turning on me like a mongoose......
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links