Source original (not rewritten politically correct versions) of children's books.
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By qwerty

Thread: Source original (not rewritten politically correct versions) of children's books.

Source original (not rewritten politically correct versions) of children's books.

I have been asked to write an integrated (language arts, social studies, science, math) curriculum that will expose children to the history of racism of the past and need original versions of the Tom Sawyer, Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew, and Hardy Boys books. My deviousness will use the books overtly to stimulate discussion on racial attitudes, ideals, and sterotypes over the years, covertly to demonstrate that even those whose racial attitudes would be scorned today still demonstrated positive ethical and moral values not so apparent in our politically corrected world. Yes, we have traded one set of sins for another so today is really no better than then for anyone, no matter what the unmaintained wheels squeak. In many ways, our social ills are worse, typically because those unmaintained wheels are just that, minds neglected by one-sided propaganda. It is required of minds to understand all views to judge a topic. To do otherwise results only in hatred because a lopsided mind will hide its ignorance through culturally aberrant (mis)behavior to (mis)direct observers from its ignorance. Ah-HA! There's the WHY? the curriculum needs!

Problem is, I can't find sources for the original texts--they've all been rewritten to the modern standards of political correctness and they simply suck as literature. Can you imagine a pansy Nancy? Runaway Jim described by his "White slave owner" as an "African-American". No wonder the world is so screwed up! How will anyone learn from history if it's whitewashed by all Ted's friends?

Anyone have a shortcut on how to identify the original versions--many have no publication dates?

Hoot Gibson likes this.

New edition of 'Huckleberry Finn' to lose the 'n' word | Shelf Life | EW.com

The old classics on my Kindle e-reader are unabridged. Got them free on Amazon.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

This claims to be "original and unabridged":

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer: Original & Unabridged: Mark Twain: 9781499261745: Amazon.com: Books

And as mentioned, there are Kindle versions available for free.

Hmmm? I'll have to see what the distribution and sharing restrictions on Kindle are. The legals have been problems in the past.

Sponosred Links