Show Us Your Favorite Knife
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Show Us Your Favorite Knife

Show Us Your Favorite Knife

This is an original Buckmaster. Wish I hadn't beaten it up so much and had the original box.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The is my favorite

It's not very big but it is pretty.

Hi guys: guess I had better get my camera battery together as I made Custom knives for about 10 years, sold mostly in Va, Md. and NC. I have a few left, not many as I have given some away of the last years for special occasions. Made probably nearly 1,000 total, most belt grind(stock removal), but about 50-75 forged. Did my own heat treating(kiln for belt grinds and forge w/quench). and did all my leather work(a nice break from the specifics of knife construction.) Also made several pistol holsters. Worked with D-2, A-2, 1095, 5160, O-1, W-1, 440C, and some of the others including CPM440V(I believe).
    Last edited by dogonit; 10-07-2014 at 04:13 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yes... Yes my friend please get your camera ready. We would love to see some of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonit View Post
    Hi guys: guess I had better get my camera battery together as I made Custom knives for about 10 years, sold mostly in Va, Md. and NC. I have a few left, not many as I have given some away of the last years for special occasions. Made probably nearly 1,000 total, most belt grind, but about 50-75 forged. Did my own heat treating(kiln for belt grinds and forge w/quench). and did all my leather work(a nice break from the specifics of knife construction.) Also made several pistol holsters. Worked with D-2, A-2, 1095, 1065, 440C, and some of the others including CPM440V(I believe).

My favorite knife is probably not all that impressive. At least not in the big knife contest. But it is always in my pocket or near at hand. I can clip it on my hat brim (for the flashlight), start a fire, cut stuff and it has never let me down.

It's a Tool Logic SL Pro 2 (silver).
    tl_slp2.jpg
    Fred likes this.

For many years I shot competition in PPC, police pistol combat matches. Often the prize for taking first place was a very nice gun but secondary prizes we usually lesser value things like real nice knives from the sponsor, S&W. I won a number of real nice S&W Military and police knives that have since been made totally illegal here in NY because of auto opening. Won't be showing them here.

I bet I have a box with well over a hundred nice knives but to pick one as a favorite I would need more to go on. Favorite for what? Pocket carry, cleaning small or large fish, gutting a deer or for skinning one. I don't bring a knife for personal protection, have guns for that. Belt carried "Hunting Knives" I find pretty dumb. Never killed an animal with my knife and never needed a big hunting knife or found any of them very useful for gutting, skinning or much of anything. Shrade was a leader in this type of knife and I have a number of them that never get out of their boxes. I use a very small Shrade single blade lock blade for the intricate parts of gutting a deer and a very nice Browning 3 blade for most of the rest because it has a blunted gut blade, saw blade and a very sharp regular blade. If I go camping I always bring my USN issued Kbar sheath knife very similar to the one in post one but without the rear facing points.

There are lots of great knives from years past and today from companies like Shrade, Buck, Gerber, Browning and many more but it all depends on what the knife is used for. Wustoff is hard to beat in the kitchen but for in my pocket every day as a utility knife I am very happy with any of my Shrade knives and particularly the ones I made when I worked there briefly right out of HS and up until I joined the Navy in 1970.

GaryL
    Fred and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

My favorite knife is stuck in a light salted and peppered filet mignon, medium rare, next to a big baked potato with butter, pepper, and sour cream, and a couple ears of Silver Queen dripping melted butter.

Easy My uncle Don who is 94 and lives in Ashland Maine he made me two knifes and sheath's he made the blade's from the sawmill blades when it would be replaced and had a leather sewing machine in his basement. 10172289_10202528740211830_1585037782_o.jpg

Good steel is the ultimate key to a good knife. I wish I had the metallurgy knowledge of what steel is the best. I have knives made of many different types of steel and some are very easy to sharpen while others are a PITA to get sharp. Some remain sharp a long time while others dull rather quickly. Some blades rust and tarnish while others are high quality and very hard stainless steel or even chrome plated. I just don't know the best all around steel to use or to have in a knife. There is science involved and I know Shrade made knives from the highest quality steels available in many of their knives. They would rust and tarnish but they were easy to get very sharp and held an edge about as good as any. Sadly, finding the specs of the actual steel used in various models are well hidden secrets. I do not like serated blades but they sure do stay sharp enough for some rough cutting duty where a regular sharp would be dulled fast. I have both respect and an honest fear of the knives I use for filetting fish. They are sharp and if you get your fingers in the way you are cut deep before you even know it. There is also science involved with the grind angle where sharpness is concerned. Just a degree or two of angle makes a big difference. The angle on one blade or type of steel may not be the best angle for other blades or types of steel.

What works for you might not be what works for me on my knives and how you chose to sharpen your knives is completely a personal choice. A good butcher or Japanese chef can keep his knives super sharp with a few swipes on a steel. I have a local smoke house here that specializes in smoked fish, mostly Salmon. Watching the guys work and slicing smoked Salmon almost paper thin is an art. They don't use any motorized slicing machines at all and do it all with very sharp knives. Just once in my life I had the pleasure of getting a shave at a high end barber shop. When he put the straight razor on his leather strop and then to my neck the little fellow did the turtle but he never cut me and it was the absolute closest shave I ever had. Yup! I am easily impressed by super sharp cutting tools.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Hi zdiver1: Sawmill blades make for great knives. Also, I used a number of car leaf springs over the years when forging. Needless to say with them more of a Bowie knife size.
    As far as my favorite steel it's probably 5160, while it has a low chrome content, it still doesn't rust like O-1 and some of the other non-stainless ones will and it doesn't leave a metallic taste in stuff you cut and holds an edge well even with a mid 50's Rockwell. D-2 in the almost stainless category is good to, but can be hard to resharpen, depending on what Rockwell Hardness you treat it to as it has a high molybdenum content.
    Last edited by dogonit; 10-07-2014 at 04:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links