Manual or Automatic Transmissions?
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Manual or Automatic Transmissions?

Manual or Automatic Transmissions?

Who likes manual or automatic transmissions in their cars and trucks?
    I strongly prefer a manual, especially today because I am dealing with probable fried clutch packs in a 4L60E slush box from my van.
    So I am biased today; but in the past other automatics have left me stranded in the back country. A brand new Bronco once lost a vacuum diaphragm and sucked all the ATF through the engine creating a glorious blue smoke cloud and a 15 mile hike out. A manual often can be push started when an auto would need a tow truck for dead battery, bad wiring connections, corrosion, solenoid, starter problems, etc.
    I have driven manuals in heavy stop and go traffic but not consistently for day in day out commuting so I can understand some wanting autos.
    So I was just curious if TW owners are statistically different from average driver. Manufacturers will tell us that only one in eight want a manual but I find this hard to believe. If you want a manual in an american pick-up I think only choice in 2014 was a Dodge diesel.
    I miss the old granny gear low of older pick-ups.
    kj7687 likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Manual for me.

We as a society are getting very lazy. A Swedish friend was once surprised that we Americans were so lazy that we eat pre-sliced cheese. I assured her that I could certainly cut the cheese. Anyways I like shifting gears. I think manuals keep us involved with the driving experience, force us to pay attention and thus make us better, safer drivers.
    Last edited by Fred; 10-11-2014 at 12:34 PM.
    Dryden-Tdub and williamemack like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Depends on the intended purpose. Achieva, bought for price of scrap, came with an auto. Everything else has a manual, including the 601, which has a ground adjustable variable pitch prop.

Last edited by qwerty; 10-11-2014 at 11:41 AM. Reason: kant spel

I have continuously owned at least one manual transmission car/truck ever since I started driving. One of my favorites was an old GMC pickup with a three-on-the-tree shifter. I also made sure that all my kids learned how to drive using a manual transmission.

One of the reasons that I enjoy motorcycles is the fact that you are so involved while riding one. You need to use both hands, both feet, both eyes and both ears. If you aren't paying attention, you crash!
    Fred likes this.

Prefer manual. Got it in the VW New Beetle, but had to settle for automatic in the RV.
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

My truck and car are both sticks and my hot rod is a auto. I got it all bass ackwards.

3 months ago i picked up a "new" 2000 4runner. while it was the last year for a manual 5spd i couldn't find one... looking as far and wide as san diego to portland. i was even willing to pay a couple grand more just to find a stick

on a side note: when my wife first got here from south america, the first time she tried to drive she got confused looking for the clutch; she had never seen, nor even heard of an automatic. ha!
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I dunno, sure is easier to text with an automatic transmission. WHen I was young I swore I'd
    never own an automatic but in these days of commuter stop and go and arthritis in my life , when forced
    to drive, I find I tend opt for the Mercedes with auto over the Tiburon with 5 speed, though the "shark" is much
    more thrilling to drive. Mostly I ride anyway where I have yet to try an automatic that gave me
    the control I prefer on two wheels.
    Tonto on the "Left Coast"
    1987 TW200 (2) 2015 BMW F700GS
    More Wagging and less Barking
    "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"
    Make Love not War

Strongly prefer manual. If I want to dump a gear or just lug along I get irritable with an automatic arguing with me about it.
    '01 TW200, '03 Z1000, '09 KLR 650, '13 CRF250L

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links