My boys new 12.5" Oset Electric Trials Bike
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I originally planned to pick up a Yamaha PW50 for my 3.5 year old son to start learning on but then came across the Oset electric bikes. After looking into them and talking to other owners of Oset's I thought they had several advantages over the PW. Everyone said their kids learn faster on the Oset vs a PW, they learn to stand quicker and develop better balancing skills. Because it's electric you can get away with riding it in parks, your front yard, etc where you can't ride the gas setups and because of this they get a lot more time in the saddle. I also liked that I can lay it in the back of my wife's car, no gas to spill, no hot muffler, no starting the engine etc. Runs a couple hrs on a charge and has a max speed of 15mph, you can adjust the governor from 0-15mph. I currently have his bike slowed down until better throttle/brake skills are learned.

Here's a short vid of my boy on his new Oset taken at a local park, this was his third time out on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h_qhnwN8Pk

Hodakaguy

Excellent, Hodaka Guy.

Great father-son time. And I'm glad to see Ryan wearing a helmet.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Thats a sweet little bike. Looks like Ryan is getting the hang of it.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Get some boots over those ankles before it is too late. Why would anyone think 2 minutes of instructions is appropriate for a 3-year old. I even got bored in that amount of time. Better to fire up your own bike and take turns playing follow-the-leader. Little kids learn best by following example, not by instruction. Monkey see, monkey do, and all that noise.

Okay, that's the pre-school administrator coming out.

WOOHOO!

That's the grandpa in me coming out.

PM the measure of that number plate and a mailing address, that bike really needs a big #1 on it along with the kid's name.

Give the kid a worthwhile goal--chase the dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Get some boots over those ankles before it is too late. Why would anyone think 2 minutes of instructions is appropriate for a 3-year old. I even got bored in that amount of time. Better to fire up your own bike and take turns playing follow-the-leader. Little kids learn best by following example, not by instruction. Monkey see, monkey do, and all that noise.

Okay, that's the pre-school administrator coming out.

WOOHOO!

That's the grandpa in me coming out.

PM the measure of that number plate and a mailing address, that bike really needs a big #1 on it along with the kid's name.

Give the kid a worthwhile goal--chase the dogs.

Yeah boots are on the list of items to pick up for sure, along with gloves! 2 minutes of instruction is not all I had planned though, today we are taking the BMW bike to the park for me to ride....I don't think I'll get away with bringing my KTM 530 to the park

Thanks for the offer on the sticker, I have access to a viynal plotter but I haven't decided on what to put on there yet. I'll probably let him pick what he wants on the plate.

Hodakaguy

So cool! He does great for his age.
    Red Max - 1996 TW200 - 14/45, 320mm toothed brake disc, X-Racing titanium exhaust, Ricochet skid plate, Mule hitch pins, large pegs, VeeRubber VRM274&275 tires

What a lucky kid! That really seems to make sense as a way to start learning to ride, and I like the idea of no hot engine/muffler that might accidently burn him and scare him away from riding, as well as all the other positives you posted.

From your previous posts, I know you are pretty skilled at wrenching on bikes, fabrication, working on ultralights, etc...., so I was wondering about your perception of the quality and reliability so far of the Oset. I shared your post/video with a friend who runs an independent cycle repair shop, and he expressed some reservations about those issues, and parts availability, should this be a Chinese product, compared to the more traditional gas powered Japanese bikes like the PW50. From what you have seen so far, are you looking at this as more of a disposable toy to learn on for a few months and then move up, or do you think it has the quality and parts availability to be a long term tool for your son and maybe even be 'passed on' to another child?

Corey
    two 2009 TWs, Ricochet skidplates, Moose Racing 'Expedition' rack (like a Borrega), DID 428V O-ring chains, DMoto2 -style black steel footpegs from eBay

Great video.

I wish I'd been able to be in that position when my kids were young.

Unfortunately, fortunately I was given 3 girls who didn't want anything to do with motorcycles.

Way cool!

I would jump on any motorcycle at that age! No way I could have driven this one, though...

Red Max - 1996 TW200 - 14/45, 320mm toothed brake disc, X-Racing titanium exhaust, Ricochet skid plate, Mule hitch pins, large pegs, VeeRubber VRM274&275 tires

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links