Rustoleum Never Wet---Mistake or not?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Rustoleum Never Wet---Mistake or not?

Rustoleum Never Wet---Mistake or not?

Has anyone used this product? Opinions?

I hope I didn't just make a big mistake. Not yet sure but will be soon enough.

I saw this new paint advertised and bought the two part spray to treat my satellite dishes for TV & Internet. Here in the north east when I get wet snow it sticks to these roof top dishes and cuts my signal off. In years past I always try to do something to guard against this happening. Tried car wax, tried Pam cooking spray, tried Rain X and nothing so far has worked well. Sometimes I have to climb the roof in nasty weather to clean the face of the dish to get the signals.

Never Wet is advertised as a hyperbolic coating that is supposed to shed water much the same as Rain X on our windshields, which works great!

Both of my dishes are now coated with this 2 part spray application and I am a bit worried. The coating is listed as Clear/Frosted and I was expecting a very slick shine that water would roll right off of. Instead, the finished look and feel after following the directions to the letter is a rough sandpaper finish that sure does seem like water, snow and ice will cling right on to. Hope I am wrong and this product performs as advertised because I will be screwed if it doesn't.

Have you used this stuff? Used it on satellite dishes? If so, what are your findings?

Just so you know, I would not recommend this paint anywhere on a TW for any reason. Even if it works fantastic at keeping water off surfaces the finished look is rather ugly and I don't see any way of applying it to look good.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Go spray it with your hose and see what happens.
    Fred likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Be careful putting that Chit on your Satellite Dish. It draws in Aliens. Look what mine drew in.
    image.jpg

Then this one came in and ate the Little White One

image.jpg
    Last edited by TopPredator; 10-13-2014 at 12:42 PM.
    Fred likes this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

I bought some for a pair of work boots … they turned purple and leaked in a few hours. READ the reviews on AMAZON. Complete waste of money.
    Chris Reitzel
    Hidden Content
    2007 TW 200
    Too many Hummers

I would not even try this stuff on fabric or leather. They say it will work but I kind of doubt anything that will work on wood, metal and cement will also cross over to flexible items.

like I said, I will know soon enough when we get a frosty morning. Dragging my garden hose up to spray the dishes is not an option I can do here. I did bring up a bottle of water and it did seem to roll right off. It does not feel or appear to be any sort of durable finish but outside of an occasional bird poop my satellite dishes don't come in contact with anything but rain, ice and snow. I will update this thread when the weather turns and I have any results to report. Spending another $160 on a fancy sock that might also get covered with wet, heavy snow and ice is also not an option. Worse case is I go without TV and Internet until the storm passes and I know you guys won't miss me that bad.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I too have heard only bad reports on NeverWet.
    I have my dish accessibly mounted to deck railing so I can keep dish clear of snow and ice safely. With a name like Forestburg it is safe to assume you have many more trees probably blocking sky and limiting options than I. I sympathize with you GaryL.
    Post a follow-up if you find anything that works. Maybe run heat-tape on backside of dish to melt away snow and ice? Switchable on and off in case it causes signal interference, laid in "s"curves rather than spiral to minimize induction interference?
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I too have heard only bad reports on NeverWet.
    I have my dish accessibly mounted to deck railing so I can keep dish clear of snow and ice safely. With a name like Forestburg it is safe to assume you have many more trees probably blocking sky and limiting options than I. I sympathize with you GaryL.
    Post a follow-up if you find anything that works. Maybe run heat-tape on backside of dish to melt away snow and ice? Switchable on and off in case it causes signal interference, laid in "s"curves rather than spiral to minimize induction interference?
    Great assumption there Fred! I am surrounded by 90-120 foot pines and hemlocks so the dishes have to be high and point high. I suspect that running electric tape to the dishes would be a direct path for lightning and that is highly discouraged here. I will update my results as the weather turns in the next month to month and a half. I could be wrong but it just seems to me that a rough surface gives water, snow and ice more grip to stick. Rustoleum is a rather well trusted brand around these parts but you can be sure I will hold their feet to a very hot fire if it makes my dishes worse. Satellite dishes are a large picture on the packaging and in the TV commercials, if this crap makes mine worse you can bet that Rustoleum will be paying for the replacements and Directv will be my back-up!

GaryL

Ooops, hadn't considered zap factor though heat tape wiring figuring since the dish is already grounded via annular braided ground mesh of co-ax cable it would provide the primary path to ground during a lightning strike. But sure, why take chances with lightning? Just trying to figure out how to help you from running other risks while clearing a roof-top dish. My dish's co-ax also has ancillary 14guage ground wire hooked unto house's primary ground stake, but I suppose amperage of a lightning strike would happily melt that too.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    That's how you know it worked!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    ...My dish's co-ax also has ancillary 14guage ground wire hooked unto house's primary ground stake, but I suppose amperage of a lightning strike would happily melt that too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links