Deer Season
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Deer Season

Deer Season

Some folks here are hunters and fishermen, others not. Wild game sure is tasty and without chemical additives or growth hormones.
    Whether it be the rut, or hunting pressure, or change in seasons but the mule deer are really coming out of the hills and into suburban landscaped salad bars. Last night going to and from a wild Halloween Party I came close to collecting some radiator grill meat several times as deer would pop onto the road in front of me. One was a really nice buck who whose antlers came close to being my wife's new hood ornament. Thank goodness for strong brakes and a low blood alcohol level ( costume party was for some high energy Cross Fit exercise and Brazillian youthful friends and featured a lot of alcohol fueled funny business).
    So wishing good luck to all those heading out into the hills for your deer, elk, moose, bunny rabbits, whatever. And if unsuccessful finding game check under your neighbors azaleas and rose bushes, thats where they may be hiding
    elime and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Funny you mention this because yesterday a buck, forked on the left side and spike on the right, crossed the road in front of me. It wasn't close as we saw each other and I slowed down leaving plenty of room for him in front of me. My camera was off so no video.
    Fred likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Our white tail bow season started. But deer always play in the road. And on the trails.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Here's a little tyke I came across this spring, moma is in the background. About 6" away from my hand.
    Fred likes this.

Wow, ski pro, what you view in disgust , I view as natures wonder. After all they are wild.

Deer Season

Best way for the electric fence is one low- they drag their feet or as you said nose. Then one about 3' high about 2' behind the low one. Of course this doesn't work for turkey's.
    Many neighbor's feed, they want to see the critters. I don't feed and I see the critters!
    Fred likes this.

I'm trying. I've already killed 24 this year. All yearling does for maximum reduction in breeding. The young lady who hunts with me has taken the same number, and her dad returned from the Middle East Thursday and took 6 this weekend. We are doing the best we can.

All went to charity freezers as we are still over-stocked from last year.

EDIT: Ski is right. Deer are vermin around here. Way too many of them. Lots of Lyme Disease around here from the stupid ticks. Herds of deer just aren't natural. Needs wolves, panthers, and bears.

Last edited by qwerty; 10-19-2014 at 08:35 PM.

The balance between man and nature is one filled with much controversy. We can't seem to strike a working and acceptable environmental plan no matter what we try. Too many deer and not enough natural predators and the flip side is natural predators and danger to humans and domesticated animals. Too many people moving in to the natural ranges of animals and not enough food left for them. We have those who hate hunting of any kind but complaining about insurance rates because of hood ornaments. In my area a lot of the land is posted, private property and closed to hunting yet the forage base of food for all the critters is incapable of sustaining them and being decimated by over browsing.

We could discuss this balance of nature and never come to agreement. Last night when I let the dog out for last call I had a coyote in the yard. I woke up this morning and had 3 deer out there and just a few minutes ago a bear cut across the yard. Later a flock of turkey will pass through and the squirrels are a constant gathering nuts with an ocassional hawk picking them off. The small brook trout in the stream don't stand a chance when the water is low and the blue heron goes fishing.

I suppose if you don't care to have critters in your yard a good plan might consist of Not offering them plants and foods that attract them. If you are a bee keeper you might expect bears after the honey. If you raise chickens then plan on fox, mink, coyote, Hawks all looking for dinner. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction and this is the way of the world. Try as we may but there is no clear cut answer.

GaryL
    dogonit and Fred like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

In my area, Central Coast of California, the deer population has greatly expended
    in the last couple years. Farms I work for are having crop damage never experienced
    in years of production. Most blame it on the protection of mountain lions. I think part of it
    is the deer have figured out to hang around human habitation to keep away from da lions.
    Of course the lions are figuring this out and we are seeing more and more lions where
    normally you'd never see 'em.
    Mel likes this.
    Tonto on the "Left Coast"
    1987 TW200 (2) 2015 BMW F700GS
    More Wagging and less Barking
    "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"
    Make Love not War

Been seeing deer like crazy this year. Ive already seen more bucks in two weekends then I did the last two years. This nice 8pt went by me last sunday. I hope he makes it another year or two.
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links