Helmet or no Helmet
Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Helmet or no Helmet

Helmet or no Helmet

Purple People Eater{aka Gina Maria aka Mrs Llzrbrth} posted about being in Texas and riders without helmets....an important and a blog post that gets you thinking....I left my response on her blog comment section....

Motorcycle Helmet Law | Two Wheels Two Feet

What are your thoughts
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Being right near Connecticut, it is nice to take the helmet off for a ride through the lovely roads they have there.

Around town, While riding a CT90 or other sub 100cc bike, I'll wear a bucket (non DOT helmet). Those rides are usually under five minutes and consist of going to get bagels and coffee. There is no or little traffic at those times.

Commuting to Manhattan on my 2010 Fatboy, I used to wear the bucket, but because I didn't want to get stopped by the NYC gestapo and get a 250 dollar ticket, I use my DOT half helmet. I also use that helmet for all fair weather riding, often with ear plugs or earphones (2 Earphones is illegal in NY, one is OK), The decrease in wind noise is amazing and takes stress out of a long ride. I have come to actually prefer the DOT half helmet over the bucket.

In inclement weather, or for trips where I might catch some rain, I have two Bluetooth full face helmets to choose from. I can actually hear the bikes (2014 Ultra Limited HD) speakers better when wearing a full face (Bluetooth rarely turned on).

For off road, I have a HiVis MX full face helmet. Way lighter than the street helmets. I may actually start to use that helmet on the street (it is DOT approved) during the "Grey" months, as I like the HiVis Yellow. Especially since most of my street bikes are black, the main bike being almost entirely flat black.

I've bumped my head to many times already! So I protect what little is left.
    qwerty and Gulfrider like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Final Fall Ride 005.JPG

Like I posted on PPE's Blog...I don't always take my own advice....Sunny and 78 this past Monday, no helmet, wearing cargo shorts, and tennis shoes....but then again at 65 years, I never claimed to be the brightest bulb in the package....

Hidden Content

March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary

rbm
    The only time I don't is when I'm dragging a tarp full of leaves to dump, very slow and just a couple hundred yards. I wear one at all times otherwise.

Well Hoot: When I was a lot younger I rode without much of a helmet. After a number of incidences and seeing the results of those that didn't, I went more and then more. I wear full face and at any speed you can end up a piece of ground meat. Everyone to their own, but I have survived by not being stupid, at least most of the time. Also when you hit a big bug or some item at 50 mph it's nice that there is a visor to take it and not your eyes. At least wear goggles with a helmet if going at any speed. I almost had a crow strike this AM. I'm not sure how me or the helmet would have handled that at 45 mph.
    Last edited by dogonit; 10-30-2014 at 05:08 PM.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    Just give me a minute while I collect my thoughts. They're around here somewhere. Maybe!

2013 TW200(Protaper SE ATV High handlebars, DID 428VX-X ring chain, Shinko Tires, K&N Air Filter, Seat Concepts "Grip" seat covering, Outlaw Racing Folding
    Gear shifter, My custom( long/thin) foot pegs, My custom(extended) Rear brake lever, Battery tender harness, Gel Battery, "Bikini" Bike rack, Mobil 1 4T synthetic, BLUE Ricochet Skid Plate , DG Exhaust & 15 Front Sproket.

65 and crouching down like that. Stinking show off.
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

Quote Originally Posted by dogonit View Post
    Well Hoot: When I was a lot younger I rode without much of a helmet. After a number of incidences and seeing the results of those that didn't, I went more and then more. I wear full face and at any speed you can end up a piece of ground meat. Everyone to their own, but I have survived by not being stupid, at least most of the time. Also when you hit a big bug or some item at 50 mph it's nice that there is a visor to take it and not your eyes. At least wear goggles with a helmet if going at any speed. I almost had a crow strike this AM. I'm not sure how me or the helmet would have handled that at 45 mph.
    Like I said on PPE's blog...two major wrecks in 1975 helmet saved my face, in 1987, Helmet saved my brain and perhaps my life, however both wrecks were in town...at less that 30 mph....one my fault, the other some fool pulled right out in front...been hit by bugs, birds, and ran over a cat{it survived}...life is a gamble. I have life insurance, a bunch, in place, retirement in place....I would not ride down the Interstate or 4 lane on any bike at any speed these days....and there are risks when riding the TW on two lane roads in rural areas at 40 mph....it is a chance, when the sun is out, and the weather is right, I choose to take.
    Last edited by Hoot Gibson; 10-30-2014 at 05:31 PM.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by OurDee View Post
    65 and crouching down like that. Stinking show off.
    Comes from all those squats and hours in the weight room, and officiating 200 games a year... that way I can still show off and drink a beer and smoke a cigar now and then.....see too many guys my age that have survived and look and act like walking death....I just want to keep active until my ticket is punched, if possible.
    Mr.Paynter likes this.

Hidden Content

Sometimes with my 660 Grizzly ATV I take that attitude. And it will probably be my end. But, sometimes if the sun is out, what the fuck.
    Last edited by dogonit; 10-30-2014 at 05:38 PM.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    Just give me a minute while I collect my thoughts. They're around here somewhere. Maybe!

2013 TW200(Protaper SE ATV High handlebars, DID 428VX-X ring chain, Shinko Tires, K&N Air Filter, Seat Concepts "Grip" seat covering, Outlaw Racing Folding
    Gear shifter, My custom( long/thin) foot pegs, My custom(extended) Rear brake lever, Battery tender harness, Gel Battery, "Bikini" Bike rack, Mobil 1 4T synthetic, BLUE Ricochet Skid Plate , DG Exhaust & 15 Front Sproket.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links