In the Cat House, Help!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: In the Cat House, Help!

In the Cat House, Help!

OK, I need some collective wisdom from those who know.

I am not a cat person because every cat we ever had got killed by some wild animal. No indoor/outdoor cats around here.

I I just built a nice barn and I now have a cat, absolutely wild, that has adopted the barn. He/she won't come near me which is fine but I happen to be a softy so I do buy food and have great appreciation for all the mice and other varmin the cat controls in my barn. He can stay as long as he can stay alive.

I am thinking about creature comforts for him because pretty soon it can go to 20 below zero around here. I am thinking about building a small shelter fot the cat but kicking around a bunch of ideas in my head and unable to come up with a plan.

Talk to me if you have ideas. I am thinking a wild cat wants an entrance as well as an emergency exit. Not sure if it should be up off the ground, how high or if I should think about some sort of minor heat source. Maybe a short heat tape under the floor or even a light bulb left on 24/7 under the floor. I have old doggy beds that would probably feel like a Tempurpedic mattresses to a wild cat used to living in the woods.

What do you think and please don't tell me to try to domesticate this feline and bring it in. It has been around here for two years now and will live a lot longer keeping the wild skills it apparently has.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Small box style enclosure and a small heated kennel pad. Did that for my barn cat. Never really saw him use it, but I think he did occasionally. Generally preferred to climb the extension ladder and sleep in the hay mow.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Some low cost ideas. May even have the needed supplies already laying around.

Feral Cat Shelter Options Gallery - Alley Cat Allies

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Maybe a short length of heat tape if there is elec. nearby.

LOL. Just reread and saw your heat tape comment.. LOL. Blond moment.

You have a good plan, Gary. High with an entrance and exit, maybe facing barn's entrance so cat can scope out approach of possible threats. Heat tape seems like a very good idea. I had a feral adopt me like yours. The colder it got the friendlier the feral would get. Good for you.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I would get a cardboard box and put a bed in it. Cut doors and make it like a cave. Maybe sprinkle a little cat-nip inside to get them interested. My cats love cardboard boxes.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

I would get one of these and cut a door at each end put clear plastic like on dog doors and this way you remove the top and clean. Shop Style Selections 18-Gallon Tote with Standard Snap Lid at Lowes.com

We have barn cats........ That's what we call them.. We have a 3' x 2' wooden box shelter I made with a small heat bulb.. We place food inside and the cats seem to enjoy it during cold weather..... OMM.

Cats are pretty adaptable to just about anything...even in upstate NY winters, if you have some hay or straw tucked away in a corner he will survive....we have two or 3 Tom Cats that hang around the neighborhood and on occasion I find them snoozing in my dog kennels whice{no dogs these days} is attached to my unheated large 2 1/2 car garage....they have been around for years....meanwhile the cat that adopted us last Christmas, since been spayed, sleeps in the basement, but spends most days outside regardless of weather and she seems to prefer it that way{as do we}..
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by old mad max View Post
    We have barn cats........ That's what we call them.. We have a 3' x 2' wooden box shelter I made with a small heat bulb.. We place food inside and the cats seem to enjoy it during cold weather..... OMM.
    I can also add, back wihen we lived on the farm in the 1980s...we had about 15-20 barn cats, more sometime, less others, spent those winters, which were brutal back in the 80s, in the barns with straw....they never need much more, as long as we fed them, and they could avoid the Airedales, they survived fine and dandy....
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links