Three wheelers? Were they really that dangerous?
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Three wheelers? Were they really that dangerous?

Three wheelers? Were they really that dangerous?

My father is getting older and his mobility is starting to suffer. He just built a new barn on the back of his property and down a hill. I would like to get him an ATV/UTV he could ride on his 5 acres (mostly from barn to barn) in Southwestern Ohio. He loves his tractors but there are some places a 40 hp John Deere just does not fit. He will not ride a motorcycle or dirt bike. He says golf carts are for old men. A true UTV is a little out of my price range. He has never really rode ATV's for this reason I think he would be uncomfortable on a 4 wheeler, especially a big 4wd. This left me with thinking about 3 wheelers, like a honda big red.

Typically three wheelers are cheap <$1000. They are pretty basic in design. He would need electric start, has a bad shoulder. The manuverablity seems like a plus. Are parts available? I remember having friends that had three wheeler, they never died in roll overs. I have never rode one, so I am looking for input on there handling. I guess I am looking for a TW (low, slow and stable) in a three wheeler or maybe a 2-wheel drive four wheeler.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by george_c; 11-12-2014 at 09:10 AM.

It's the learning curve that makes 3 wheelers dangerous. If you are used to a bicycle or motorcycle you'll most likely
    lean "the wrong way" in a turn, put your leg out for balance and run over your leg. There is also a problem
    of too much speed in a turn with resultant rollover. Here in California OHV parks banned them for that reason.
    Once you get passed the learning curve, 3 wheels are fine and can be a bargain.
    Tonto on the "Left Coast"
    1987 TW200 (2) 2015 BMW F700GS
    More Wagging and less Barking
    "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"
    Make Love not War

I think he would be surprized how he would like a ATV. Try to borrow one for him to try out. My Polaris is just as valuable to me as my John Deere, just in a different way.
    Fred likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

frozen wasteland of the barren north, Yukon Territory, Canada
    ^^^ what he said... the first time you dab a foot and have it run up on your heal and pull you off is quite a surprise. and high side rollovers can come pretty quick.
    admiral and Smitty Blackstone like this.

I had the original 90cc ones with the fully balloon tires, I had 110's, 200's and lastly a big Red with the highly coveted reverse gear. I never found them dangerous at all. We used to put them up on two wheels and zip around corners with mile wide grins. Of course I had original Jeep CJ's too, and I never found them dangerous either. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that being an idiot can make almost anything dangerous. As far as I'm concerned the whole 3 wheeled ATV danger thing was way overblown.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Morning George c, there is another option. As the larger equipment rental outfits roll over there inventory side x sides go up for sale. Some have boxes, some dump, there a stable platform, easy to get in & out, my dad had a battery powered spray rig in his. You can carry a shovel, dog and a shotgun. And there diesel....just a thought.

Hi george c: Get him a small atv 4 wheel 400cc or so. Those 3 wheelers are dangerous, I don't care how much time you have on them. Get them in canted positions and they are tricky.
    Just give me a minute while I collect my thoughts. They're around here somewhere. Maybe!

2013 TW200(Protaper SE ATV High handlebars, DID 428VX-X ring chain, Shinko Tires, K&N Air Filter, Seat Concepts "Grip" seat covering, Outlaw Racing Folding
    Gear shifter, My custom( long/thin) foot pegs, My custom(extended) Rear brake lever, Battery tender harness, Gel Battery, "Bikini" Bike rack, Mobil 1 4T synthetic, BLUE Ricochet Skid Plate , DG Exhaust & 15 Front Sproket.

My family has had a lot of fun over the years with Honda ATC,s. My neighbor still rides them and collects them. The main reason that I would be apprehensive about one in your situation is that the newest one is still probably 30 years old. They were all rock solid reliable then but any 30 year old engine is going to have a few hiccups. The newer (10 year old) Honda 4 wheeler would be a better choice in my opinion. I am a big fan of the Honda Four Trax and it comes in smaller sizes. They pop up on the used market fairly often at reasonable prices.

Yep. I still have my old Honda Four Trax 300, which was the first quad I ever owned. My nephew beats it to death and it still runs fine. I want to say it is a '91, but that just can't be right...it can't be that old.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

As someone who has rode and raced both. Get a fourth wheel! A quad is much more stable than a trike and unless your father likes to turn doughnuts on two wheels it will be much safer.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links