Why engineers should double check their math, or "Where did the lake go?"
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Why engineers should double check their math, or "Where did the lake go?"

Why engineers should double check their math, or "Where did the lake go?"

Anyone remember this engineering disaster? Almost as bad as when entire colorado river was diverted into California forming Salton Sea and the Mexicans asked "Where did the river go?" ..
    elime likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

All drilling for any reason should be immediately stopped. Drilling is nothing but a means earth rapists rape earth. Shame on you. Plus, all those expensive drill rigs just make the price of gas too high.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I can't view video but it's got to be how man thinks he can control nature. Here in Mi they decided to remove a dam. My friend and I do not know anything about engineering. We were on our way kayaking and checked out the project. It didn't make any sense to us. We both said it looked like it was designed to fail. A few weeks later it did. Sometimes dumb people get it right.

High run off on the Colorado river overflowed a canal diversion structure under contraction and the entire river flow left the channel to flow unrestricted into California ultimately ending up in the Salton basin. San Francisco earthquake sucked up interest and federal disaster relief money for several years as the Salton Sea formed and mexican delta left high and dry. Everything thrown into the hole to plug it got sucked away by the railroad car load. Ultimately cabled together train cars full of rock were driven into the breach to stem the flow1407374750008-flooded-sea-1907-ucla-collection-waterfall.jpg1407374750004-cs1907saltonsea2.jpg1407374750003-109-IID121.jpg1407374750002-108-IID120.jpg1407374750001-107-IID122.jpg
    Last edited by Fred; 11-23-2014 at 01:34 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Padilen- Sorry I post data sucking videos hard to download. The story tells of a oil exploration rig piercing subterranean salt mine workings in La. causing big lake to drain sucking barges, trucks, 150 ft trees, an island, etc into an ever enlarging hole. Disaster likely due to math error in triangulation measurements used to site the drill rig.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Padilen- Sorry I post data sucking videos hard to download. The story tells of a oil exploration rig piercing subterranean salt mine workings in La. causing big lake to drain sucking barges, trucks, 150 ft trees, an island, etc into an ever enlarging hole. Disaster likely due to math error in triangulation measurements used to site the drill rig.
    Not your fault that I can't do anything with Internet. My replacement phone is using less data but opening about the same amount of info as "old" phone. But: I when I was looking at data usage - 10g was 20$ cheaper than our bill! So I've learned that each month of twice a month look and see if Verizon is offering any "deals". Because they will not tell you or automatically lower your bill. You have to find them. But they did sent me a shopping deal. 1g for November and 1g for Dec, free. Now with my mom being home she has wifi so most of the data I can use. I did turn on my hot spot and was on my lap top for awhile earlier and yahoo home page short videos played. Maybe I'll try it later and see if I can view, yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I earned a degree in water resource engineering just about the time environmental and ethical concerns killed off most major US dam contraction projects. Last several decades have seen much activity undoing previous Corp of Engineer projects; removing dams, un-straightening channel improvements, levee removal to restore floodplain storage, etc.. Interesting how we change our minds over time. Remember when radiation was good, radon therapy, or those x-ray foot imaging devices in shoe stores? Ooops.
    I've had so many x Rays that I'll glow one day.
    I watched a PBS(?) special on beavers. How we tried to eliminate them so we'd have farm land. But found out that beavers cycle the land. They come when trees are present and make their dams then as their family grows they deplete the desirable trees. Move on, the dam fails and land is dried, the soil is rich with nutrients. And then the cycle repeats. Now some people see beavers as a healthy environmental indicator. One guy who made his living removing beavers now makes his living getting the beavers to build dams were they are needed. Like in canals and if the beaver moves on, he maintains the beaver dam.

"All drilling for any reason should be immediately stopped. Drilling is nothing but a means earth rapists rape earth".
    Drilling, and by inference mineral resource extraction and mining in general get a very bad rap. But look around you, if it wasn't grown it was mined.
    Sulfur to vulcanize the rubber in qwerty's truck tires; rare earths to make your cell phones and computers work, metals in your autos, copper for all your electrical devices, ceramics, adhesives, cement products, the myriad of petrochemical products that keep our modern lifestyle going.
    It is easy to say NIMBY, Not In My Back Yard. This attitude has contributed to loss of american jobs and manufacturing since as we shift the ecological impact of mining overseas it takes jobs with it. No easy answers. Fracking for natural gas extraction is a very hot potato these days for which the jury is still out. I am in favor of ethical mining with proper reclamation borne by the company but resent when 1 billion in mineral revenues to a private company result in a 10 billion Superfund site paid by us taxpayers.
    I have straddled the fence on these issues both personally and in the workplace for many a year with never a clear cut sense of righteousness either way.
    Last edited by Fred; 11-23-2014 at 02:36 PM.
    Mel, GaryL and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links