Tree forts for old men and the like...
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Tree forts for old men and the like...

Tree forts for old men and the like...

As some will remember, I started the Cabin on Wheels project about a year ago. At first things went rapidly. Surplus trailer frame was modified, running gear welded on, framing up, windows in, doors in, sheathing and siding, shingles, stain and trim...in a word, the outside got done. And then it sat. And sat. And sat. I had planned to get it to Drummond Island in the U.P. of Michigan this spring. And it never happened.

Well, now I'm motivated again. I think it's the concept of the querencia. The need for the favorite place. The desire to have an identifiable place of safety, comfort and pleasure. Querencia is a great word and a great concept. A simple dictionary look-up won't convey the true meaning. The true meaning lies in the art of bull fighting and the understanding of the bull. Anyway, I have decided to call the Cabin on Wheels Mi Querencia. Strange to the sound, meaningful to the mind. I have already marked of generous amounts of time to spend in her next year...up at Drummond.

I've got four days right here in front of me. I have an adequate supply of PEX and 12 gauge romex on hand. Outlet boxes and assorted hardware. With luck I can get it all wired and plumbed in two days and start putting in insulation. I still haven't sourced a decent supply of car siding for the interior, but it's around somewhere. I'll find it. I've got some old sheets of laminate for the counters and a very nice shop to fashion the cabinets in.

It's all about work and desire, isn't it, really? Work to get the money, work to create what you want using the resources obtained with the worked for money. Lessons I learned long ago. But the driving ambition and desire wane with the years, which I assume is natural. But I want this place. I'm going to get it done. Then I will reap the rewards of my effort.

I think I will post an update or two here as time goes on, maybe to keep me on the stick more than anything.

There are many good reasons to get it done.
    Attachment 11720Attachment 11721Attachment 11722Attachment 11723Attachment 11724
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Happy Thanksgiving. For the Spirit of our Country and the Bounties of the Earth...I am truly thankful.
    Mel, Fred, HermanJohn and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Grampa's Cave understands. 12-foot galvanized corrugated steel pipe, east end with a glass wall intended to be the kid's room, "t" in the middle with a glass wall facing south intended to be the great room, west end terminated in the back of a walkout basement left from a house that burned down, refitted with a flat roof to serve as a shop/garage/indoor play space. It's all dried in, the floor is installed, power meter, supply wiring, well, and septic installed and operational. It was to be our safe place, safe from forest fires, tornados, severe storms, collapse from earthquake, and hidden from zombies. It now serves as a play house for the grandkids. Maybe someday I'll finish it out, but not this season.

Borneo and Smitty Blackstone like this.

Years ago we used to ride our sleds to Drummond Island ,and I have even ridden one of my old mx bikes (400 can am) there across the ice ,I drank free that weekend
    Borneo likes this.

"Git 'er done" Hope your Querencia will have guest rooms for those who can find you and your mobile man-cave.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Mobile only in theory, not practice. Fixed location. Hell, I'd buy property and build a real cabin if I could afford it, but I cannot. So, rather than be defeated, I made some contacts, gained some friends, found a place and am building what I can afford. There is always a way to achieve your dreams. Even if that means sometimes dreams must be modified to fit reality.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

A deck built on top once it is parked?
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links