All about Envy.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: All about Envy.

All about Envy.

For you dirty old guys I said ENVY not EVIE.

Those of us who live out in the fringe areas where all the services are not up to speed will understand where I am coming from. No cable TV here and the telephone lines are old copper probably 40+ years and the nearest switch is 8 miles away so no DSL. Cellular signal is non existent so I guess this could be considered a dead zone. All my stuff comes from satellites hooked up to roof top dishes and wifi routers. When it rains hard or the dishes get snow covered I go into silent mode.

Envious of you guys who have all the cool high speed connections and at very reasonable costs IMO. I spend each month $60 for internet, $70 for phone and $90 for TV. Don't ask about the electric costs but I also need to have a stand by generator for when the electric goes down with trees falling on the lines pretty often. Envy also because I see all the posts with You Tube and personal videos and music links that I can't watch because the satellite limits how much bandwidth I am allowed each month and just a few videos will eat that up for lunch.

All of these services many take for granted are just not available here because the wired services require a set number of accounts per square mile to make it worth their while which is never going to happen. My nearest neighbor owns 16,000 acres and the rest is mostly state owned forests with a few homesteads sprinkled about on 3-5 acre plots.

I am sure we have other members in similar situations here who also are limited with what they can and cannot do on the WWW. It is hard to believe that I remain in the dark ages because I am just 80 miles as the crow flies from the biggest city in our country, NYC. Think of all the things you could not do if you were as limited as some of us. Don't take it wrong, being envious is not complaining and I could certainly move to another area closer to the rest of this world but I love it right here as much as I hate the limitations. Just going to the Post Office is a 25 mile trip and groceries is closer to 50. I can P off the back deck and the front and play my music as loud as I want while I target shoot in the yard. Critters are my neighbors and fishing lakes, streams and rivers are in either direction. Never had a trick or treater yet out here. I do get visitors every so often who are stuck, lost, out of gas or broke down and have no cell signal to call for help. I keep hoping the Victoria's Secret shuttle bus will brake down one day

GaryL
    Fred, Mel and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Well, I can pee from the porch, and shoot in the yard, no problem. But I do get a half-arsed cell signal, so I can now have a mifi card. Not too impressive, most times trying to watch a video is too painful to tolerate, but it's better than the dialup we had. It goes from slow to snail pace after a certain amount of usage per month. No cable, but do have satellite tv for my wife. I don't generally ever watch tv. At work I have the full high speed thing, and it is amazing.
    admiral likes this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I can P off the back deck and the front and play my music as loud as I want while I target shoot in the yard. I keep hoping the Victoria's Secret shuttle bus will brake down one day

GaryL
    You've mentioned the main reason I like liv'in in the sticks or should I say, treeless sticks (except what we planted). I love being able to pee behind my shop! Badgers and foxes may not like it, but hey, what the heck do they know!

If the Victoria's bus broke down, I'd have to tell 'em it takes a long long time for parts to arrive...by stagecoach!

Oh, and I think my www is a slight notch above what you have. However, we do txt one of the girls to conduct a google search when we need something looked up. We start the txt with, "Dear Google" can you find...

Then we criticize them if they don't give us the right answer we're look'in for!
    Last edited by admiral; 12-03-2014 at 11:11 AM.
    1 Bad dog likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    You've mentioned the main reason I like liv'in in the sticks or should I say, treeless sticks (except what we planted). I love being able to pee behind my shop! Badgers and foxes may not like it, but hey, what the heck do they know!

If the Victoria's bus broke down, I'd have to tell 'em it takes a long long time for parts to arrive...by stagecoach!

Oh, and I think my www is a slight notch above what you have. However, we do txt one of the girls to conduct a google search when we need something looked up. We start the txt with, "Dear Google" can you find...

Then we criticize them if they don't give us the right answer we're look'in for!
    Forget the stage coach Admiral, I will get them all fixed up but I work on the barter system out here and don't need no fancy panties!
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Hughesnet, dish network, Blue sky offer satellite internet that could be bundled with phone and tv as an option. A little research and signal meter testing might locate a comm satellite in southern sky your dish might "see" from an accessible, servicable spot on your deck or yard. Dish on roof is so hard to clear snow from, I brushed snow off mine twice last night. Maybe consider dropping a few trees to open up a window to satellite. If interested in options I would call all the vendors for bearing and azimuth to their various birds as perhaps one is readily visible from a serviceable location shy of a roof top installation. Hardware costs can approach a grand but some offer equipment lease (hughesnet for one). Bundle all your comms with one vendor and total cost may not be too much higher to achieve much higher internet speeds w/o data limits.
    I bet Dryden t-dub could give better guidence, Tom is getting to be our go-to guy.

So Gary, is it you or the Victoria Secret models that will not need fancy panties at your place? I'm trying to decide if I want to swing bythere for a surprise visit.
    Last edited by Fred; 12-03-2014 at 11:20 AM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

frozen wasteland of the barren north, Yukon Territory, Canada
    Sounds pretty nice to me GL.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Hughesnet, dish network, Blue sky offer satellite internet that could be bundled with phone and tv as an option. A little research and signal meter testing might locate a comm satellite in southern sky your dish might "see" from an accessible, servicable spot on your deck or yard. Dish on roof is so hard to clear snow from, I brushed snow off mine twice last night. Maybe consider dropping a few trees to open up a window to satellite. If interested in options I would call all the vendors for bearing and azimuth to their various birds as perhaps one is readily visible from a serviceable location shy of a roof top installation. Hardware costs can approach a grand but some offer equipment lease (hughesnet for one). Bundle all your comms with one vendor and total cost may not be too much higher to achieve much higher internet speeds w/o data limits.
    I bet Dryden t-dub could give better guidence, Tom is getting to be our go-to guy.

So Gary, is it you or the Victoria Secret models that will not need fancy panties at your place? I'm trying to decide if I want to swing bythere for a surprise visit.
    OK Freddy boy, you asked for it. At 58 and 62 neither of us look real good in fancy pants. You are welcome to swing by but we don't do swinging!

Hughes has the exact same plan here as my Exede sat. has and at a higher price. With mountains and lots of trees, hey I'm in Forestburgh and that aint no lie, Dishes have to go on roof tops just to even get a signal. You have to be here to understand it. Friends who tried the bundle deals ended up going right back to the regular phone lines because the satellite is so very unreliable. Dryden is the Go To guy but even he would loose some hair where I am. My point is that I have to do without some of the 21st century technology but I do love it right here. Except of course for the politics!

GaryL

Gary it seems that we have more in common than fishing,shooting,bikes and Brittany's. I also prefer a less urbanized life. We live outside a city but too close IMO. My wife however is a "townie" and thinks we are too far out now. Nothing ruins a good nights sleep than a siren going by at 3 in the morning. We have been here for close to 30yrs and the city is getting closer!!
    For quiet and peace of mind I have a place in the boonies. I could have TV,phone and internet there but I choose not to. My I-phone is enough to keep me in touch with the outside world if need be.I retire next month and will definitely be spending a lot more time there. Hell I would move there but I would miss the missus sooner or later.
    So don't envy us my friend. It seems you have just enough technology to get by yet get to live in a place many others can only dream of.
    It is I that be jealous.

Oh and the picture in my mind of you and Fred in the unmentionables will take a while to cleanse.
    Last edited by Dubster; 12-03-2014 at 05:02 PM.
    09 DL650 V-Strom "Function over Form at a Superior Price"
    09 DR650 "Hooliganizer"
    03 TW200 "No Road---No Problem"
    81 Z50 "Just Because"
    98 Honda Valkyrie "Fast as [email protected]&K"
    02 Tw200 " Camouflaged Redneck Edition" Sold to Son-in-Law
    73CT Trail90 "The most fun you can have under 100cc's" Sold. Had an offer I couldn't refuse.

I go to the library to few most pictures and videos. But the day before Thanksgiving until mid day Thanksgiving day I could watch videos at home!Today I went to Library to view pictures of a trailer. But unlike Gary L our lines are under ground and have been cut numerous times. Never updated and never replace- nearly 50 years. A land line is full of static and Internet is slow. Now with the loss of the rural law the phone companies no longer have to maintain them. So after years of promises we are now forced to have cell or satellite. I have limited cell service and most of my internet is on phone. In the spring my service became 4g but I never had a full 3G. Because 4G includes HD for pictures and videos ( but I can't few) usage went up. Doubled my 2G plan of data to 4G. Partly do to my phone when turned on always trying to receive data. Got a different phone, after checking I found plan with 10G price was 10$, less than what I was paying. And then for Nov, and Dec they gave me a free 1g each month. So I'm now trying to up my data G's.
    My cell is my only extra. I was given my G Aunts TV and I can know view 4 channels of TV in my room-( I stay in my basement). 2 are fairly steady but 2 come and go. Upstairs I can get 4 plus 3 of PBS- 2 of them are the same thing. But they come and go too.
    My cell is 85, with my moms line being 85 too. I pay my part she pays her part but also all the taxes. When she's home I get to use her data- bring my available up to 10. But I don't thing I can use that much. To frustrating on cell phone.

Wow is this off topic. Anyway you all should check out "ranch wifi" A Friend started his own T1 station
    to get wifi signal to his very remote home in the hills of Calif. He then expanded to help out his nieghbors
    and now has a great little buisness an don't work no mo. Some learning required but I use the service
    alot at different ranches I work at and the speed is way better than Hughes or Blusky and isn't affected by weather! Microwaves.
    Gotta be a rocketship scientisr but theys around. All works on line of sight to repeaters from main station an
    that's all about I know.
    Fred likes this.
    Tonto on the "Left Coast"
    1987 TW200 (2) 2015 BMW F700GS
    More Wagging and less Barking
    "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"
    Make Love not War

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links