"A long and lonesome highway east of Omaha"
Close

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By Borneo
  • 2 Post By Borneo

Thread: "A long and lonesome highway east of Omaha"

"A long and lonesome highway east of Omaha"

One minute I'm here, and the next minute I realize I've been distracted. Distracted by my wife. It was a good distraction because she told me a good story. (If you have been here more than a week, you know I love a good story.) She is volunteer general counsel to the Boy Scouts here in my Council. That's something close to my heart. I've never told you this story. My wife of almost thirty years is a very bright woman. When we got married she had not completed her bachelors degree because even working two jobs she ran out of money. After ten years of marriage she really wanted to finish what she had long ago started. I told her to follow that dream. Get it done. She did.

Like many married couples, we don't talk as much as we should. Several years after she finished her bachelors degree we were sitting down to supper. Miss Margaret is a fine cook. And as we ate she said to me...never mentioned before in 20 years of marriage, that her dream since she was a little girl was to be a lawyer. Well ship, how do you deal with that. I never knew. I'm a three generation lawyer, and it ain't like that means there are three of us, we had several per generation, and we have one now as a two star general officer JAG. It's what we people do. Anyway, I chewed the rest of my pork chop, and rather haphazardly said...well apply for law school...go take the LSAT. Get it done if you want to. I'm a big believer in making stuff happen. You can want it. You can dream it, but if you really want it you have to chase it and make it your own. Just the way it works. I've spouted that tripe a million times,to almost that many young Scouts. I never though another thing about it. Time past, I forgot that conversation like all long-married husbands do. But one day I came home, was changing my clothes to go do chores and Miss Margaret said out of the blue, at least it seemed to me, "I got accepted" Right, I'm thinking visa gold, Sam's Club, Costco maybe...nope she got accepted to Law School. Amazing. Almost 50 years old. I never mean't it when I said it, I never thought she would do it, but she did. And she got it done. She not only got it done, she graduated at the top of her class. I was proud. Very much so.

Sounds like the end of the story right? Not hardly. I was a law review student (that won't mean much to many but Qwerty) but accept my description that it is an earned honor. So, I wasn't a legacy boy in my trade so to speak, I had good credentials regardless of family. Put it simple, I worked for it. But I got one upped. Miss Margaret got accepted, admittedly at my urging, to Oxford for an advance legal degree. I told her go. Bill paying has always been one of the best things I do . I would have made a good ditch digger too. "See the job-Do the job".

And so she does. And she excels there too. Next she decides to work for the non-profit Rutherford Institute. Look, I realize they are a conservative Christian defense organization, so what? I'm telling a story here. Besides, I'm Christian and in all honesty I'm getting pretty dambed defensive about it.

And then she comes home again. And the dogs were happy. I was happy. We missed her.

And now we get to why the hell Borneo is telling this story. Well it ain't for you pissy jackwagons. Those who bitch about everything. It's for the good folks here, and there are way many. It's for our young guys, like tce. It's for everyone who had an inner dream. You should have a dream. If you are eighty years old you should have a dream.

Everyone should have a dream. But here is the reality. If you dream it will one day happen. If you see it as something that you deserve. If you see it as something that is owed to you. I promise you it will never happen. Liberal, Conservative, religious, or not, there is not one damn positve thing that will ever happen in your life if you don't work hard for it

You may think you beat the game. Beat the odds, but I assure you, if you ever want to realize a dream, you must pay the price. If you are satisfied with just getting along, well these days the government will enable you. But if you really want to be something. Do something. Have an impact. Then you get to play by the same damned rules our grandfathers and fathers played by. Work for it. As jacked up as our government gets, that rule will never change. Ye shall reap what ye sow.
    Last edited by Borneo; 12-20-2014 at 06:27 AM.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Oh, the caption of the thread. In honor of QWERTY. He and my brother seem to travel the same routes. It ain't an easy job. But it is a job. A man ought to have a job. Hats off Q, and Kentley, my only brother. Keep safe hauling what we need. Last time I did what you guys do, I was driving a ten speed Road Ranger hauling grain. Remember those...just QWERTY will. Good song.

Last edited by Borneo; 12-20-2014 at 04:02 AM.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

While I'm at it. Bruce's, watch this. Listen to the words with me. Good song, no? Opening picture on the video is misleading. It's good stuff to watch.

That's an old pair of Browning snake boots.(3:49) Chew the bark right off of you. I had a pair. Chippewas, much better boot. 6:39, almost certainly Dan Post working man pointy toes, from back when they made real boots. Boots made in America, for people who got in a saddle. The saddle in the picture? Not sure, looks like a Larry Mahan to me. Tough call somebody might know. Regardless, some of the stuff you see is way pre-China. If you can ID that saddle, I will give you the Borneo "past master" award. Who can name the air rifle being shot?

Personal observation that will shock some, not all. Close the borders? Not hardly. Come in legal. Don't break our laws. Arms open. Live our dream with us. Way it is now under the executive order...for shame.
    Last edited by Borneo; 12-20-2014 at 07:51 AM.
    TopPredator and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Wow. You are yourself one articulate man. Now I am really looking forward to South America. Really, really looking forward to it. Times are funny. A year ago, I would have signed on to "just drive from here" with you. But my Uncle, who is my only law partner has cancer issues, so suddenly I have no coverage like I had all my life. Non the less, we can make a couple weeks fun. You know the terrain, I've been there a couple of times, mostly on mountains or on horses in the mountains. I'm hoping we actually get to meet. I've never met Jim ether (Ebbanflood) but I have the same feeling about him. I generally get it right. Loved what you wrote.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

One of the "Longest Stretches of Lonesome Highways" is actually West of Omaha....now there is some stretches when I was driving RVs back in my early retirement years, that area between Lincoln and the Colorado Border on I-80 and I-76 is one....also the absolute most desolate stretch I have ever driven on is in western Utah and all of Nevada on the US 6 and US 50 routes...make sure you have water, and you vehicle is in good running condition.....north of there on I-80 across the Salt Lake Basin and west through North Nevada isn't much better....

Ut~O....I smell a thread Hi~Jack coming....sorry!

Thread Hijack too.jpg
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

This thread would have to pop up while Pachelbel's Canon in D was playing. You see, Canon in D touched the heart of a Princess when she saw the Pantene commercial video from Thailand. Of course, Princess had no clue the video that inspired her was actually a shampoo commercial.

Princess pushed herself to master the piece, then took the stepped complexities and expanded the energies of the piece far beyond either the original intent or the commercial's imaginative and creative arrangement. Then she added expressive dance. All simply following her heart. Princess never had a music or dance lesson. She played entirely by ear, on a dinged up student violin she bought for $25 at a yard sale, she danced as the spirit moved.

The only public performance of the Princess arrangement was on an outdoor stage at a summer festival (every little burg has one) in west Tennessee. Princess unassuredly made her way across the stage when introduced, dressed in a simple white layered chiffon dress hemmed just above her knees, a white satin ribbon around her waist, bobby socks, and a pair of yard sale dance shoes styled as saddles as from the '50s. Princess had cut off her too-short white satin winter pajamas and hemmed a pair of hotpants, but enough for modesty purposes in the Bible Belt for what she had planned.

As the emcee cleared the stage, Princess took a deep breath, stood tall, raised her face to the sun, closed her eyes, and began to play. As the musical complexities increased, festivites took notice, other activities grinding to a stop, until even the carnies shut down the rides to better hear. Princess added interpretive dance, as the spirit moved. Every spin brought her big blue eyes to gaze over the crowd--it was obvious she was seeing nothing, totally engrossed in her music and movement--in the zone, only the performance existed.

Every section grew tempo, complexity and intensity, a crescendo well beyond her practiced capabilities, yet on she played. The dance became gymnastic as only the dance of a totally engrossed 7-year old can--nobody told Princess she couldn't do a front layout with a half twist while playing Canon in D, and never miss a note.

Then Princess just stopped. No hint of coda. She just stopped, standing right where she began, staring at whatever she saw beyond the here and now. She lowered her violin and bow, blinked, then bowed quickly toward the audience and dashed from the stage, clearing the steps in a single leap as the roaring applause failed to catch her.

Princess ran up to her stepfather, took his hand, "Let's go now." She had done what she came to do, touch hearts. Ignoring the emcee's pleas to return to the stage, it was time to go.

Last edited by qwerty; 12-20-2014 at 12:42 PM.

A loss I can deeply understand. The woman I wrote of, my wife has played the piano since 5 years old. Her mother was a piano teacher. She self taught herself to play the violin also at a young age. When I met her she had neither a piano or a violin. I dedicated myself to getting her a baby grand. Eventually we discussed a violin. I did some research. Found the perfect one in my eyes. She nodded no. She found an incredibly old one. It cost more than a new one to restore it. She said it would be worth it. I doubted it. I don't now. Beautiful, simply beautiful.

My father, who was a big coarse man like me used to sit and listen to her play the piano. And tears would come to his eyes. Something I had never seen in 40 years. And she could do it every time. I don't believe she ever played the violin for him. I wish she had.

I won't lie to you, I don't care for, or perhaps I should say I lack the refinement to appreciate, classical music.

But I will never deny it's magic.
    Last edited by Borneo; 12-20-2014 at 12:50 PM.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Not much of a musician myself, but I've inspired a few. "The discipline required to develop to the point of technical perfection is necessary before setting your own course. Then, when you perform, if you're music doesn't kick your butt out of that seat, you're doing it wrong. How can you expect to kick anyone else's butt if you don't kick your own?"

^^^It's true, is it not? When you sit in the same house and witness the dedication it takes to master those instruments it humbles you to the core. A focus and desire this man will never know.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

I've played Chopsticks on a Steinway.

Sponosred Links