Close

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By TW-Brian
  • 3 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By TopPredator

Thread: Fred - I need some gardening advice

Fred - I need some gardening advice

Hi Fred,

Remember that sprig of mint that you tossed in the back of my truck after our easy single track Rubicon ride?

Well, I successfully managed to smuggle it across the border into California (what a surprise!) and my wife stuck it in some dirt. As you can see, it seems to be doing quite well despite the drought (must be all that recycled shower water that we collected all summer). Since the nighttime temps are expected to drop below freezing this week, Barb is wondering if she should cover it to protect it.

I gave her my expert opinion (no, it's a weed!), which she of course promptly ignored. So I will defer to your green thumb and vast knowledge for what she should do.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

100_4568.JPG
    Dave-o likes this.

No cover-up needed if you just want it to survive. If wife wants leaves un-burnt by frost then bring inside garage or cover Brian.
    The mint thrives here without any over-wintering protection but dies back to twigs every fall, the regrows from spreading runners like strawberries in the spring. It seems extremely cold hardy as surprisingly do many succulents like your mint's neighbor.
    Also spreads from seeds. It can get pretty invasive and you or your neighbors might regret my giving it to you if it escapes in your lush landscaping.Keep it caged in that cute pot and then you can more easily control its spread.
    It looks really happy there as a color pot. A second pot could be made that would allow you to harvest from to make tea, mint juleps, mojitos, air freshener, decorate a lamb dish, etc without worry of damaging pretty pot's appearance and thus getting banned by Barbara to the garage and your TW collection.

P.S. It is supposedly good at repelling rabbits and other browsing critters, the mint oil is one of natures many chemical weapons. I love its appearance, flowers,taste, aroma, the way it chokes out invasive grasses, etc and would let it run wild here but it was deemed a weed by Mrs. Fred after it choked out one of her pretties. "Yes Dear, I'll weed out the mint right after I get back from my TW ride."
    Last edited by Fred; 12-29-2014 at 07:04 PM.
    TW-Brian, Mel and Dave-o like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Good info, Thanks Fred!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I bought my wife this mint about ten years ago and planted it in her flower bed. It took over and every year she started B about how she didn't like it. I knew she was working hard to control it. I just ask her if she ever got it under control. Her reply was... "yes! It's gone I used Roundup".
    Last edited by TopPredator; 12-30-2014 at 06:08 AM.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

We use mint around our garden to repell rabbits also. Great for mojitos . We cover ours when we get frost also. But being in a pot like Fred said easy to just bring in garage overnight.

You can bring mint inside. Angel kept mint and other spices/flavors in pots. She used them when cooking. Most did well all winter in a sunny window. Few did well in the greenhouse, most prone to fungus infections promoted by high humidity.

Like mentioned above...mint can really rock and roll. It can take over whole flower beds. Lovely plant though.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

My wife worked at a mint still in high school during summer vacations. Even though there's lots of urban growth throughout the valley, we still see many fields, though the stills and fields are quickly declining. Odor is really strong during harvest/production.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Mint smells better than marigolds stink, so they are good near each other. Mint keeps out the browsing mammals, marigolds keep many insect pests away. Good combination for organic gardening.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulfrider View Post
    We use mint around our garden to repell rabbits also. Great for mojitos . We cover ours when we get frost also. But being in a pot like Fred said easy to just bring in garage overnight.
    I use my garden to attract rabbits so I can have meat with my veggies
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Sponosred Links