This should be your New Years Resolutions.
Close
†††† ††††
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: This should be your New Years Resolutions.

This should be your New Years Resolutions.

1. Carry your gun more often. I know a lot of gun owners only carry concealed when they might be driving through a ďbadĒ part of town or when theyíre traveling far from home. But you and I know attacks can happen any place and any time. Even if youíre running out to pick up some milk at 7-11, how do you know someoneís not going to try and rob the place as youíre paying for the milk? Obviously, you donít. The good news is, there are so many shapes and sizes of guns on the market that we have plenty of choices in what we can carry. You donít have to always carry a full size gun, you can simply slip a .380 in your pocket as I often do. Never forget the oft quoted words, ďthe best gun is the one youíre carrying at the time.Ē

2. Go to the range more. Shooting is a diminishing skill, which is why you need to train as much as you can. I realize we all have busy schedules, but go to the shooting range at least once a month if you can, and even once a week if you can swing it. The best way Iíve found to help people make sure they get to the range is to have them put it down on their calendar. For instance, you could make the 1st Friday of every month your range day. If itís written down in your calendar then thereís a much better chance youíll end up practicing at the range. Of course, in between going to the range you should do dry fire practice. I spend at least 10-15 minutes a day dry firing and I know it helps improve my accuracy and will help improve yours too.

3. Take someone shooting. Over the years, Iíve discovered there are pretty much only two ways to convince someone that guns arenít the ďdevilĒ and that shooting is fun. The first way is when someone comes to me whoís been the victim of a crime. They tell me that they used to be anti-gun but now realize they need a gun to protect themselves. I hate it when this happens and that people have to end up getting attacked before they realize why a gun is necessary. The second way to help someone get over their dislike of guns is to simply take them shooting. Iíve taken a number of people to the range that couldnít believe how fun it was and instantly became hooked. So, this next year invite some friends and family to the range and help them see that guns and shooting arenít that bad after all.

4. Keep your guns locked up at all times. There are still too many stories in the news about a young child finding a gun in his house and accidentally killing himself or a friend. In my opinion, your gun should be locked up at all times unless itís on your person. I prefer the Gun vault and Stack-On rapid access safes, but there are dozens of safes on the market. Even if you donít have children you never know if a friend visiting or a handyman or someone else might find your gun and end up killing or injuring themselves with it. Letís make 2014 the year that gun owners always lock up their guns. Read about Project Child Safe for more ideas.

5. Take care of your body. Use hearing protection when you go shooting so you donít damage your hearing or whatís left of it. Also, make sure that every time you finish shooting you wash the lead off your hands and face, especially before eating, and that you take a shower when you can. If you have children, it is especially important that you donít play with your kids until youíve washed all of the lead off yourself.

6. Join a gun rights organization. There are many gun rights organizations in this country, with the NRA coming to the mind of most people. It doesnít matter which organization you prefer, but join and support them as they fight for our Second Amendment freedoms in 2014.

7. Be more situationally aware. The ďKnockout GameĒ is still in the news a lot lately and doesnít seem to be going anywhere. That is why itís critical to pay attention to your surroundings and not have your head down in a cell phone or iPad. The fact is, if you have good situational awareness it will hopefully keep you from ever having to use your gun to defend yourself in the first place.

8. Take better care of your guns. Iíll be the first to admit that cleaning my guns is not my favorite activity in the world. However, I know that the gun Iím carrying might save my life one day so I do make sure itís cleaned often so it wonít jam on me. You donít have to clean your gun every time you shoot but I would clean it every 500 rounds.

9. Find the right holster. One of the reasons people donít carry their gun all of the time is because they havenít found a comfortable holster. There are about a billion holster makers these days so quickly order a bunch of holsters until you find the one for you. Just make sure you know a companyís return policy before you buy so you can return the holsters you donít like.

10. Buy a gun. Despite what my wife thinks, you can never have enough guns. So buy yourself a new gun this year and check another gun off of your long list of guns you eventually plan to buy. You know youíll love shooting it and testing out your new gun is a great excuse to invite someone to the range with you. (looking for some direction? Read the 5 key questions to ask before you buy a new gun)

11. And ride the TW when you can.

jtomelliott49 and scooter-ray like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Sad story, the Father in Law Says "She was not the least bit Irresponsible"....?? Sorry Pops, she might have been a great person and mother, but leaving a loaded gun where a 2 year old can grab it from you or your carry on stuff, is or at least was this one time, tragic and irresponsible.
    scooter-ray likes this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
    1. Carry your gun more often. I know a lot of gun owners only carry concealed when they might be driving through a “bad” part of town or when they’re traveling far from home. But you and I know attacks can happen any place and any time. Even if you’re running out to pick up some milk at 7-11, how do you know someone’s not going to try and rob the place as you’re paying for the milk? Obviously, you don’t. The good news is, there are so many shapes and sizes of guns on the market that we have plenty of choices in what we can carry. You don’t have to always carry a full size gun, you can simply slip a .380 in your pocket as I often do. Never forget the oft quoted words, “the best gun is the one you’re carrying at the time.”

2. Go to the range more. Shooting is a diminishing skill, which is why you need to train as much as you can. I realize we all have busy schedules, but go to the shooting range at least once a month if you can, and even once a week if you can swing it. The best way I’ve found to help people make sure they get to the range is to have them put it down on their calendar. For instance, you could make the 1st Friday of every month your range day. If it’s written down in your calendar then there’s a much better chance you’ll end up practicing at the range. Of course, in between going to the range you should do dry fire practice. I spend at least 10-15 minutes a day dry firing and I know it helps improve my accuracy and will help improve yours too.

3. Take someone shooting. Over the years, I’ve discovered there are pretty much only two ways to convince someone that guns aren’t the “devil” and that shooting is fun. The first way is when someone comes to me who’s been the victim of a crime. They tell me that they used to be anti-gun but now realize they need a gun to protect themselves. I hate it when this happens and that people have to end up getting attacked before they realize why a gun is necessary. The second way to help someone get over their dislike of guns is to simply take them shooting. I’ve taken a number of people to the range that couldn’t believe how fun it was and instantly became hooked. So, this next year invite some friends and family to the range and help them see that guns and shooting aren’t that bad after all.

4. Keep your guns locked up at all times. There are still too many stories in the news about a young child finding a gun in his house and accidentally killing himself or a friend. In my opinion, your gun should be locked up at all times unless it’s on your person. I prefer the Gun vault and Stack-On rapid access safes, but there are dozens of safes on the market. Even if you don’t have children you never know if a friend visiting or a handyman or someone else might find your gun and end up killing or injuring themselves with it. Let’s make 2014 the year that gun owners always lock up their guns. Read about Project Child Safe for more ideas.

5. Take care of your body. Use hearing protection when you go shooting so you don’t damage your hearing or what’s left of it. Also, make sure that every time you finish shooting you wash the lead off your hands and face, especially before eating, and that you take a shower when you can. If you have children, it is especially important that you don’t play with your kids until you’ve washed all of the lead off yourself.

6. Join a gun rights organization. There are many gun rights organizations in this country, with the NRA coming to the mind of most people. It doesn’t matter which organization you prefer, but join and support them as they fight for our Second Amendment freedoms in 2014.

7. Be more situationally aware. The “Knockout Game” is still in the news a lot lately and doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. That is why it’s critical to pay attention to your surroundings and not have your head down in a cell phone or iPad. The fact is, if you have good situational awareness it will hopefully keep you from ever having to use your gun to defend yourself in the first place.

8. Take better care of your guns. I’ll be the first to admit that cleaning my guns is not my favorite activity in the world. However, I know that the gun I’m carrying might save my life one day so I do make sure it’s cleaned often so it won’t jam on me. You don’t have to clean your gun every time you shoot but I would clean it every 500 rounds.

9. Find the right holster. One of the reasons people don’t carry their gun all of the time is because they haven’t found a comfortable holster. There are about a billion holster makers these days so quickly order a bunch of holsters until you find the one for you. Just make sure you know a company’s return policy before you buy so you can return the holsters you don’t like.

10. Buy a gun. Despite what my wife thinks, you can never have enough guns. So buy yourself a new gun this year and check another gun off of your long list of guns you eventually plan to buy. You know you’ll love shooting it and testing out your new gun is a great excuse to invite someone to the range with you. (looking for some direction? Read the 5 key questions to ask before you buy a new gun)

11. And ride the TW when you can.
    I like #11.
    troll and williamemack like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    I consider all of those rules to be absolute.

Always carry.

Know your rights.
    ZDR1 and Hoot Gibson like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty Blackstone View Post
    I consider all of those rules to be absolute.

Always carry.

Know your rights.
    You my man are #1 in my Book!
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Thank you, Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
    You my man are #1 in my Book!

Always carry.

Be sure you hit your target.

Hit your target again just to be sure.

Keep a good lawyer on retainer because you have no rights without one in today's criminal injustice system that values expedited case closures over truth, justice, and constitutional principles.

Smitty Blackstone likes this.

I love zdiver1's original post. It shows a very clear grasp of the 2nd amendment. The 2nd amendment contains two purposes - the second of which is too often overlooked. The first purpose, with which most are familiar, is to protect our RIGHT to own and carry weapons (not just firearms). But the second purpose points out a RESPOSIBILITY of every able-bodied American citizen to be armed so as to stand and protect our liberties.
    Thank you zdiver1 for this most excellent to-do list for the new year!
    ZDR1 likes this.

...sorry...should read RESPONSIBILITY...
    My New Year's resolution is to proofread more...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links