Not good.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Not good.

Not good.

I think I just posted about this Wolf a few month's back. Grand Canyon gray wolf may have been shot in Utah | Fox News
    Last edited by ZDR1; 01-01-2015 at 12:14 PM.

Really not good. Wolves eat little kids and things. Shoot them all, along with the coyotes, panthers, bea..., no, wait!

Yes, that sucks.

What really sucks is that the guy who shot the wolf mistaking it for a coyote could face charges. I would have to claim ignorance myself having never seen a wolf in the wild and I do shoot coyotes.

As far as I am concerned wolves eat what ever they can find same as coyotes, bears, mountain lions, bob cats and all the other wild animals trying to forge a living. This is a very tough one and sure to stir some emotions from a number of fronts. Cattleman who need to protect their herds, communities that want their residents safe, and a host of other concerns such as animal rights groups and hunting advocates. Here where I live in the NY Catskills mountains we used to have wolves and mountain lions but not in the last 100 years as far as I know. I honestly don't even know how I would react if all of a sudden wolves and lions came back to these mountains given the fact that I hate coyotes and list them as wildlife enemy #1.

Too much deep thought on the first day of a new year!

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Reminds me of kodiak hunters getting in trouble on the north slope for shooting polar bear/kodiak hybrids. With reduction of sea ice the polar bear and brownies habitats are overlapping with resultant interbreeding and big legal issues would your trophy you take on a kodiak tag have any polar bear DNA.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Croatoan View Post
    That is a sad story. Wolves and coyotes can be hard to tell the difference at distance, but it can be done, and this guy should have been able to do that. He must have got in a hurry before he was sure what he was shooting at. The wolf had a collar that must have been visible.
    I think you are missing a real point Cro! This guy likely never saw a wolf either and going by the records there are no wolves in Utah. I might have mistaken a dog of that type here in NY as what we call Coy Dogs. These are domestic dogs that likely have mated with Coyotes and look similar but can be larger and more like a mangy German Shepherd. There was a time here when any dog out in the wild that we saw running deer was fair game and open season and that would have included a wolf that might have wandered in. I will bet big bucks that the very first real proff we ever get that Big Foot or Sasquatch actually does exist will come from some hunter who will certainly say he thought it was a bear. I would give the wolf shooter a clean pass because he did immediately report his kill.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you meant he likely never saw a wolf before except on TV then ya might be right. I wouldn't be too hard on him as I'm sure he didn't mean to, and he did report it. Tragedies happen, but a coyote hunter licensed to shoot coyotes needs to know the differences between similar critters just like an elk hunter needs to know the differences between similar critters. Responsible hunters do make mistakes from time to time though.
    That's exactly what I meant. Add to the confusion that there are a few different species of wolves that come in different colors and sizes and for those who don't live in or near wolf country I think it is safe to say they all look like dogs that could be young, old, full grown or very large or in the spring, summer and winter they change with the weather. I can agree that a hunter should be well able to ID his prey. We hunt white tail deer here and in my area they must have at least 3 points of 1 inch or more on one side to be a legal buck. So I have to be able to count points before I pull a trigger. I have seen a lot of deer that had only 4 points total between both sides that were way bigger than many with 8 points. Moose antlers have other size restrictions but since I never hunted them I don't know what they are. If I am hunting coyotes and a big one comes into range he will die and I guess I have to hope it was not a wolf that just should not be here. Actually I don't think in NY there is any regulations on wolf hunting since they claim there are none here. Same with mountain lions yet one got killed not to far from me on the highway.

GAryL

Our backyard neighbors, the hybrids.
    Coyotes021.jpg
    Fred likes this.

That is a sad story. Wolves and coyotes can be hard to tell the difference at distance, but it can be done, and this guy should have been able to do that. He must have got in a hurry before he was sure what he was shooting at. The wolf had a collar that must have been visible.
    These animals actually are hybridizing on the east coast. Wolves from Canada have bred with coyotes and they call them coy-wolves. They have some collared ones that they track in the suburbs of Detroit. They share similar traits of each other. There is a documentary on this very subject on Netflix.

When I was in the Philippines down town venders were selling dog and Monkey on a stick so I wonder what Wolves tastes like.
    Fred likes this.

Ha! Did you eat the monkey? I tried it, wasn't really all that bad imo. Ahh yes good ole Magsisi street in Olongapo City. I wasn't aware of any dog but they had water buffalo on a stick, same as the monkey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links