Internet search experts. An unusual personal request...
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Internet search experts. An unusual personal request...

When I was young, one of my very favorite books was called "With Dersu the Hunter" by Vladimir Arsenyev. It was adapted and translated by Anne Terry White. I must have read that book fifty times. I still have my tattered copy.

I recently learned that Arsenyev actually wrote three books about Dersu Uzala, a trilogy. I never knew there was more than one. I've been trying and trying to find the names of the other two books, and of course the books themselves if they have been translated. I've spent considerable time on it, and have basically come up with a zero. The searching is complicated by the fact that a movie called Dersu Uzala was made in the 70's, and that provides the bulk of the search hits I've found.

Anyway, if anyone can find the names of the other two books I would be much obliged.

As an additional note, the book "With Dersu the Hunter" was the story of Arsenyev's survey trip in Siberia and the aboriginal hunter he befriended. The hunter, Dersu Uzala, was a Gold, and saved Arsenyev's life many times over. It's based on true events. For a boy who loved hunting and the outdoors, that story from exotic lands was irresistible. Arsenyev died at 57. His widow was accused of being a spy in the late 30's and summarily executed. His daughter was sent to a Gulag.

I would love to have the other two Dersu books.

Thanks to anyone who tries.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Things are further complicated by the fact that US translations of the book I have may have appeared under various titles, such as "Dersu the Trapper". Which is the same book. Here is an audio reading...and a quite good one, of Dersu the Trapper. https://archive.org/details/DersuTheTrapperarseniev
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

I totally get it that you might have problems finding these other 2 books. I have read a ton of Russian literature over the decades, mainly stories and poems by Aleksandr Pushkin. Most of his works have been translated, but with poetry if you use a literal translation, it doesn't rhyme in English. There have been a few very talented people who have been able to do it and still keep the flow and elegance of the writing while still making it rhyme. Borneo I have several friends south of me who might have heard of these books and may be able to help out in finding where they can be purchased. I studied Russian language for 13 years and worked extensively as a translator in the Russian/Ukrainian communities. Mostly doctor and dentist appointments for older folks, with the occasional negotiating vehicle prices on a car lot or helping someone open a bank account. I'll see what I can do.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Hekkler. It may be a dead end, I realize that, in fact I only ever saw two references to there being a trilogy of the Dersu Uzala books...it may not even be true. But I hope it is.

Part of my problem is, of course, that I can't read Russian. Here is the Wiki article that seems to say there was a trilogy. I can't even tell what they say the first volume was. Vladimir Arsenyev - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Hekker, I'll send a key lanyard for helping Broneo.
    PM sent.
    This is fun!

BIBLIOGRAPHY
    "По Уссурийскому краю (Дерсу Узала). Путешествие в горную область "Сихотэ-Алинь" (Po Ussuriyskomu Krayu) (Vladivostok 1921), the first book of Dersu Uzala trilogy.
    "Дерсу Узала Из воспоминаний о путешествиях по Уссурийскому краю в 1907 г. Владивосток" (Dersu Uzala) (1923).
    "В горах Сихотэ-Алиня" (In the Sikhote-Alin Mountains), the third book of the Dersu-Uzala trilogy, published posthumously in 1937 [1]
    "Мифы, легенды, предания и сказки народов Дальнего Востока" (Mify, legendy, predaniya i skazki narodov Dal'nego Vostoka) (Myths, legends, traditions, and fables of peoples of Far East). Monograph Series, International Institute of Ethnolinguistic and Oriental Studies (IIEOS), ISSN 1230-3283 ; 10, ISBN 83-902273-4-7)
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Mike, you are hilarious. Unfortunately, I think (but am not sure, since I can't read Russian) That Dersu Uzala, Dersu the Trapper and With Dersu the Hunter are actually all the same book with changed names for the various translations. The book you found, Dersu Uzala has the same cover sketch my book With Dersu the Hunter has. The whole thing is confusing as hell, and being unable to see the text of the book I don't really know if they are all the same or not. But I love the help, I've been trying to figure it out for a long time. Thanks.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

I did a crappy job above. What I was trying to say is I suspect, but don't know, that both Anne Terry White and Malcolm Burr translated the same volume of the trilogy (if it's even true there is a trilogy) White called her's "With Dersu the Hunter" and Burr called his translation "Dersu the Trapper". And as I freely confess I have no idea what the other two books were called...or even if they exist.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

The audio reading above for Dersu the Trapper matches the print text of my copy of With Dersu the Hunter. So those two appear to be one and the same.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Mike, I'm going to order a copy of the Dersu Uzala you linked to see if it is different. That might be a true second of the trilogy. It's worth 27 bucks to find out. Worse case scenario I have a fresh copy of my 45 year old book.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links