Working man guns.
Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Working man guns.

Working man guns.

In this day of the latest and greatest of everything I have a certain love for what I call "working man" guns and knives. Knives and guns that a man who worked for a wage and raised a family might own or hope to own. The old Harrington and Richardson and High Standard revolvers. The Imperial and Utica "sportsman" style knives. Today many guns cost as much as some of those men would make in several months. Today the "affordable" guns and knives are frequently not worth their modest price. These were the guns and knives I remember from my youth, the users and the get it done tools. People around here had lived through the Great Depression, they knew the value of a dollar. I don't remember people spending much time comparing their knives and guns, and the concept of "run what ya brung" was the rule of the day. You used what you had and could afford and need make no apology to any man.

Attachment 12984Attachment 12985
    Last edited by Borneo; 01-12-2015 at 06:50 AM.
    Hekkler, wolfy and Fred like this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Borneo I loved those old guns too. My dad had a couple nice firearms from that era and I used to love to shoot them. He had an old H&R Handi Rifle in .410 but my favorite was a High Standard Double Nine Convertible revolver that had a .22 LR and .22 Mag cylinder that you could switch between. Good memories.

The top gun in the picture is a High Standard "Sentinel Deluxe" .22 nine shot.

Below it is a H&R ".22 Special" breaktop 7 shot.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

While I appreciate their simplicity, I never got used to the "high in the tang" grips of revolvers. The advantages of a semi auto clearly outweight the disadvantages of their complication (at least for me).

I find the most cost effective approach is to have one pistol that you train with and use exclusively. Having a collection would be fun, but for carry usage it is best to focus on one. They are mostly good for fighting your way back to your rifle.
    An idiot with a thesaurus is still an idiot.

All true spd. Think of this as a "nostalgia" post. One that has absolutely nothing to do with practicality...because that's what it was intended to be.
    Hekkler and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Great Eastern Cutlery still makes the "sportsman" styled knives, like the ones you could buy down at the local hardware store. Cost more than a few bucks now, but still made in 'Merica. I haven't run across any other US manufacturer that still makes this classic style. (and if you know of one...yes, I do want to know). Here are two. And if you are wondering, they are carbon blades and I did patina them.

Attachment 12994
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

I grew up working cattle and a .22 revolver was the choice, dependable even when riding in saddlebags or toolbox
    and used rather infrequently. Cost being the biggest issue, anything larger in caliber was too expensive for ammo.
    Short barrels were shunned as range was innecffective. .22 ammo weighed considerably less
    and took up less space too. Long guns were .410 shotguns, ,22 and occaisionaly a 30-30 lever action.
    Everyone coveted the .410 under .22 over for it's practicality. In that era, 70's and 80's a big folding
    knife in a sheath was standard a Buck or Old Timer. Course those days everyone had their name
    on the back of the big buckcled belt too.....most folk I know these days use a leatherman
    type. Times have changed most cattle operations don't even use horses anymore and
    the only the wealthy can afford to run cattle and most are making money with real estate.
    Borneo and Hekkler like this.
    Tonto on the "Left Coast"
    1987 TW200 (2) 2015 BMW F700GS
    More Wagging and less Barking
    "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"
    Make Love not War

Judging from my family, the working gun would be the Smith & Wesson model 10. My Grandfather had one, my Father had one, my Uncle had one and I had one. Now my neighbor has all of them.
    ZDR1 likes this.

My "go to" revolver is the High Standard Double Nine bought a long time ago and used for the very reasons mentioned. Somewhat compact,versatile, accurate with a six inch barrel yet very affordable, comfortable in a shoulder holster. With a nine shot cylinder I can keep two snake shots cued up for rattlers, warning shots, non-fatal accidental discharges, etc while still having seven real rounds at hand. A good tool, not a showpiece.
    Borneo likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbanflood View Post
    Judging from my family, the working gun would be the Smith & Wesson model 10. My Grandfather had one, my Father had one, my Uncle had one and I had one. Now my neighbor has all of them.
    Odd. My neighbor says the same thing???

Tom
    Fred likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links