Truck Drivers
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Truck Drivers

Truck Drivers

I'm sure somehow I'm going to get beat on for this question, but here goes.

There seem to be a lot of truck drivers on this thread, former or current, I can't tell, but a lot who sound like they do that. Anyway, I am curious. Somehow the thought of driving appeals to me, but I'm on the outside of this one and really have no frickin idea. My uncle drove, he liked it, and I used to ride along with him on shorter hauls when I was a kid. It was fun, but I was a kid, and a few hours in the truck as a kid is only just nostalgia to me these days.

So what's it like. The good the bad. Do you love it, hate it, or mixed. Tell me. I'm asking an honest question.

Trucking companies have a 90% per year turnover rate. Pick your company carefully. Few are better or worse than any other, but they are all different so check into it and choose the one that best suits you.

Assuming you can present well to your company's customers.
    Assuming you can present well to the various law enforcement idiots out there who see you as a meal ticket.
    Assuming you can present well to your company office employees, the vast majority of whom are ex-truckers and/or sleeping with one or six ex-truckers.
    Assuming you can present well to service providers such as truck stop employees, repair shop employees, rest stop employees, restaurant employees, and others who have to put up with truckers' crap all day, every day.
    Assuming you can present a threatening enough demeanor to discourage the lot thieves from phuqueing with your rig when your back is turned.
    Assuming you can present yourself well enough to the lot lizards and beggars to send them on their ways without your money and without leaving behind something that will scare the heck out of a penicillin shot.
    Assuming you can manage your money well enough to carry through the short weeks.
    Assuming you can present yourself in a manner that inhibits the criminal element from attempting to steal your stash on that long, cold, lonely walk from the shipping office across an unlit lot in a ghetto at 03:21 to your truck.
    Assuming you can discipline yourself to exercise enough to keep the flexibility up and the blood pressure down, as well as live a drug and alcohol free life.
    Assuming you can present a person that other truckers, regardless of race, creed, color, nation of origin, gender, native language, etc., redundantly, ad nauseum, won't smack over the head because you're their dysfunctional version of an donkey void.
    Assuming you can survive in an eight by eight box without running water, flush toilet, shower, or cooking facilities for months at a time.
    Assuming you have the heart to be alone and independent, taking care of EVERYTHING that comes along to ruin your day all by yourself, for months at a time.
    Assuming nobody is really going to care if you don't come around so you don't have to put up with all the whining associated with that.

Well, if you can live with all that, you might enjoy trucking.

Mel likes this.

Sounds like you love it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Go with your heart MSWRC. Good that you are doing research and asking questions. Perhaps research more on careers in driving, perhaps look for negative aspects posted on truck forums. It is not an easy life as qwerty can attest to. The career has so many different forms from local delivery to long haul , independent or employed.
    Personally my limited trucking experience is more of Close Encounters of the Tonka Kind..
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

frozen wasteland of the barren north, Yukon Territory, Canada
    Fred gives good advice on the research side and qwerty is giving you the real dope on trucking. Most of what you see on TV is romanticised or glorified. I was all around trucking for 20 years... 20 years ago so my opinions are dated. Maintenance supervision, driving trainer, mechanic, gravel hacks, heavy haul local, and a little bit of overnight hauling. It is not an area of employment I would go back to unless you do like Hoot and ferry fun rides around the country. The nostalgia and fantasy are a far cry from the reality... the open road ain't what it used to be

HEY! I gave that same model Tonka dump and loader to my younger grandson for Christmas. I also tossed in a grader, trencher, and bulldozer. The big ones are surprisingly expensive these days, but every American boy should have Tonka toys. No sandbox, yet, because of neighborhood cats, but we have built a Tonka garage/shop so nothing sits out and rusts.

Cro your care for cats is commendable. Hope you find homes for all your rescued units.

Certainly professional truck drivers benefit from a patient calm personality for they see some bad, selfish, unsafe drivers on a daily basis. MSWRC's polite postings would make him seem a good candidate.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Idiot drivers, yeah I can only imagine. Actually a lot of the stuff QWERTY brought up are not too big of a deal to me. I am a bit surprised about all the violence/theft drivers deal with. Shows my ignorance that I didn't even know/think about that one. I never heard my uncle complain about that. Probably like Troll says, a lot has changed in this country in the last 30 to 40 years. My Uncle did complain about all the idiots drivers, the trucking companies, and especially people who didn't load/unload his trailer correctly. The last one used to really get him going.

What is a "ferry fun ride"?

frozen wasteland of the barren north, Yukon Territory, Canada
    I'm just sayin.... Hoots ride not mine...

My only brother drives a big truck, and it's pretty much due to this program. We never missed an episode.

MSWRC and ZDR1 like this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links