Got my new rig today.
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Got my new rig today.

Got my new rig today.

my new Moab .22 Holster and belt that hold 25 rounds (Box) from Cabalas I just love it. 10578366_10204577347025720_1378772943_o.jpg and my Ruger Single six combo .22lr & .22Mag.

Out west we our very tough with the exception of California. 10360606_396844713808654_3280387273153652552_n.jpg

I am a firm believer in good leather for packing heat. I of course prefer concealed carry here in NY and found a custom maker that is top notch but also a bit pricey. Mitch Rosen makes some of the finest rigs you could ever buy for inside and out of your belt. All the holsters are strictly gun specific, hand made and top quality and his belts are simply outstanding. I have tried all the store bought brands and never really found a great rig designed quite as well as Rosen's fit.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Nice rig Z. For once I agree with Gary, nothing like custom leather. Mitch Rosen makes beautiful stuff, and as noted, custom leather is pricey. El Paso, for a large maker, still makes quality leather too. All my holsters, regardless of flavor are custom made. Because I make them all myself. I used to hand stitch, but now have a manual Boss saddle stitcher...very nice tool, and handy for me since they are made right near in Fort Wayne and parts and tune-ups are only a few miles away. I didn't have much time this morning, so here are a couple single action that I could quickly lay my hands on (yeah, I'm a guy, you can read that as "hadn't put away yet") and a "Raiders of the Lost Ark" flap I recently made for my Webley. They all fit like a glove and the draw is like God intended. As you can see, I've been experimenting with antiquing the leather.

Attachment 13143

That Triple K 114 Cheyenne rig you have is nice though. You will find that mink oil (paste style) and some loving hand rubbing (lots) will greatly improve the "seat" of the holster on your gun. That particular holster is a generic, as makes sense for a volume manufacturer, but you can massage it to almost custom fit with effort. Enjoy it Tex.

And yes, Wolfy, I make my own knife sheaths too.
    Last edited by Borneo; 01-13-2015 at 07:29 AM.
    MSWRC, Smitty Blackstone and ZDR1 like this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Keep an eye out at gun shows too. Most people know what they have when it comes to guns, but I have found some fantastic old leather, by the old master makers, by rooting through the piles of used leather. Some idiots have holsters for five bucks that a collector would pay hundreds for.

I've actually found old S.D. Meyers and H.H. Heiser holsters in great shape for a couple of bucks. Talk about "barn finds".
    Last edited by Borneo; 01-13-2015 at 07:27 AM.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

For those who are interested, I recently reviewed John Bianchi's three DVDs on Western holster making. They are excellent.

Attachment 13144
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    For those who are interested, I recently reviewed John Bianchi's three DVDs on Western holster making. They are excellent.

Attachment 13144
    Borneo,

Do you do any side work with that saddle stitcher of your's? I have a scoped Ruger Blackhawk that I would love to have a nice shoulder rig made for. Price is not a big deal I am just tired of crappy "Uncle Mikes" one size fits most holsters.

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Do you do any side work with that saddle stitcher of your's? I have a scoped Ruger Blackhawk that I would love to have a nice shoulder rig made for. Price is not a big deal I am just tired of crappy "Uncle Mikes" one size fits most holsters.
    Not even for family Tom. I like to play too much. If you really don't care too much about price, contact El Paso Saddlery. Or check out the Hunter.

Attachment 13145

Hunter Leather products
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

^^That's an extremely good point, and an opinion I share. The holsters I make and prefer for trail riding and such are deep pocket holsters that do not have a trigger access...or they are flap holsters. In those situations I gladly sacrifice draw speed for weapon protection.

*I've got an old .32 Single Six that has not only been down the trail with me, but has been down on the trail with me. And she looks it too.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by old w/2 many guns & bikes View Post
    zdivers rig

I could only wear that rig on pavement. Offroad, in a group ride; too much crap getting into it for me (read: too lazy to want to do a proper thorough cleaning after each ride). And I'd have to teach myself to ONLY/ALWAYS fall to the left. Otherwise, when (not if) I fall to the right (off-road on two wheels not my forte) - I'll be sliding on leather and steel that I'd rather not. Open trigger guard may not be as big a deal with single action in a simple tip over, but I still wouldn't want to scrape things up (which I undoubtedly would). Love the pics. -J-
    I am just kidding I do not plan on bringing a gun on rides I might not even bring a gun to Utah.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links