Jerks, Good dogs, and Enfields
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Jerks, Good dogs, and Enfields

Jerks, Good dogs, and Enfields

Oliver is a jerk. Jackson is a good dog, And that don't make sense, so let me explain. I was always a big bird hunter. I had as many as six bird dogs at one time. But times change. And I was dogless. And as a good wife, my Miss Margaret noticed the impact on my soul. So, she flew to Montana to get my birthday present, a Border terrier (a dog I had always wanted). That would be Oliver. Oliver turned out to be a jerk. Or a terrier, one and the same. Anyway, I'm not new. Oliver was not adapting well. And my father always said if you want to have a happy dog, you have to have happy dogs. Pack animals. Social little beasts. Pop was a wise man. So one day, as I was taking my evening chill out ride on the old Enfield ( my job can be stressful) I rode past Crazy Tammy's horse farm. Crazy Tammy was an old flame. But as I rode past I saw this little dog. Looked like a miniature Plott Hound. Crazy Tammy and her girl buddy not only raised horses, they were good hearted lasses and took the death row dogs from the shelter and made a last ditch effort to find them a home. So, I rode by and saw this little dog. He is now Jackson. He sits on my legs as I type. He is, as I stated a good boy. But he is a whipping boy. Miss Margaret loves Oliver, who is an incredible ass. Jackson is a perfect dog. I'll go as far as to say the best dog I've ever owned. He loves me. He rejoices when I come home at night.(and if you've never had your heart warmed, trust me, that will do it) He minds perfectly. He has no discernible faults. But Miss Margaret loves Oliver, a bad boy. Which , according to my brother might explain our marriage.

So every night Oliver sleeps on the bed next to Miss Margaret, and Jackson (yeah, he was named after Stonewall, we be southerners) gets crated. Poor little guy. But he accepts his role in life with a good heart. He never sulks. He greets each day with a sense of joy that always gladdens my heart. He has a spirit, I think of gratefulness and a love of life.

Some days I want to be Jackson.
    Dryden-Tdub and Hoot Gibson like this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Why crate Jackson?
    Good behavior should be rewarded, not bad. But I have learned a happy wife helps maintain a happy hubby and thus happy pack behavior.
    Mine loyal mutt is happiest of my dirty clothes can somehow spend a night on the floor as his nest before making their way into the laundry hamper.
    Why he takes comfort guarding an old t-shirt is beyond me.
    Darn flattering though.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Jackson should never be crated. Perhaps that was my point. He had his rescue. He asks for little. He loves his life and he has no complaints. Sometimes the greatest of men and dogs never see their reward in this life. What makes them truly great is they never complain about their circumstances. Every worthwhile lesson I ever learned, I learned from dogs.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Well, may be you can help with Jackson's reward in this life in other ways. Just because he accepts his circumstances doesn't mean you can't improve upon them. Appreciate each other.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Make no mistake. Jackson is the light of my life. He wants for nothing. Tomorrow we will hit the farm store, dogs welcome. First I will have biscuits and gravy, Jack will wait in the truck, but Bonnie, the waitress at the Village Pantry will fix him a small takeout. It's our tradition. He will have his breakfast and then spend a happy hour sniffing every damb thing in the store. Me and Jack got it good. No complaints.
    TWilight, Fred and Hekkler like this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

I still don't get why Jackson gets crated at night? I've had dogs that got in to mischief when alone and had to be crated when we were not here. The same dog was fine when we were at home, even when we were sleeping and he liked his crate at night with open door, kind of his safe fort I guess.

So, why does a good dog get crated?

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Jackson should never be crated. Perhaps that was my point. He had his rescue. He asks for little. He loves his life and he has no complaints. Sometimes the greatest of men and dogs never see their reward in this life. What makes them truly great is they never complain about their circumstances. Every worthwhile lesson I ever learned, I learned from dogs.
    Hell, you should put Jackson in the "Man Cave" at night to guard the place....now that {for those who have never visited Borneo} would be a great life, for dog or man.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Jack has to go in his crate at night because he believes, like a good dog should, that the only proper place for him to sleep is on my head. The box is the biggest they make, has a nice bed in it for him and is right at the foot of the bed. Jack has no bad habits, and can be trusted at home for a full day (Oliver can't), but the one thing I could never break him of (and I was never sure I wanted to) is his desire to always be touching me somehow. Probably stems from his time at the shelter.
    Fred likes this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Jack has to go in his crate at night because he believes, like a good dog should, that the only proper place for him to sleep is on my head. The box is the biggest they make, has a nice bed in it for him and is right at the foot of the bed. Jack has no bad habits, and can be trusted at home for a full day (Oliver can't), but the one thing I could never break him of (and I was never sure I wanted to) is his desire to always be touching me somehow. Probably stems from his time at the shelter.
    OK, understand completely. Mine also must be touching me at night while sleeping but she is by my feet so it works.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Stinkin' about made me tear up.
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links