High speed lane splitting...
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: High speed lane splitting...

High speed lane splitting...

TWilight likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Short life
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Watch This Lane Splitting End in Horrific Crash - Boldride.com .

Would I recommend going this fast splitting lanes? Hell no (I don't split in moving traffic anymore)! But this is some god damned bull shit. That was the car's fault 100 percent. Check your fucking blind spot! Clearly the car driver pulled into the path of the motorcyclist. THAT is why I don't split lanes. If it were only my judgement I needed to be concerned with, I trust myself enough that I feel I could keep it safe. But when you have to deal with stupid fucking ass holes like this, there is sometimes nothing that can be done, in time. Yes, this biker put himself in danger, but that does NOT make this crash his fault. 100 percent the auto driver's fault, period. I hope they get to pay the medical bills, and pay for pain and suffering, and buy the guy a new motorcycle. Ass holes.

Excuse my colorful language but this total BULL SHIT title is what triggered it: "A careless motorcyclist crashes while trying to split traffic." Really, "12 news", REALLY!? THAT is your title for this incident!? Unbelievable!

Tommy: not meaning to jack your thread here...just that I found this in a link on your link...
    Last edited by kj7687; 01-19-2015 at 12:39 PM.
    littletommy likes this.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

We have went through this before on a similar thread....but fault or not at fault....when you lane split in moving traffic {especially at moderate to high speed} you are likely to be {Dead} Right
    .....but keep on splittin', it's your world, however, probably not for long.....
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Lane splitting is tolerated by the Highway Patrol in California. If done properly it can be done with reasonable safety, but any time a rider gets that close to a cage driver who often is distracted and unaware, bad things can happen. At higher speeds the risk increases, because reaction time remains the same, while distance traveled in that time increases. Avoidance of a hazard is more difficult.

Even more important than overall speed is that the disparity between the bike's speed and that of the cars being passed should be low. High closing speeds can be deadly if someone makes a mistake.

In the states which prohibit lane-splitting, many people think the practice is insane, but that's not the case. In most places a traffic jam is usually a backup of just a few miles, if that. In L.A., where splitting started, a really serious jam can back up for 30 or 40 miles. Try getting through that at 5-10 miles per hour. I live in San Diego where jams are rare. Maybe a mile or two at maximum commute time, but nothing serious.

I don't like to split, and will only do it if it is really necessary. If the traffic is moving at 15-20 mph or more, I won't split. I'd rather go with the flow. I have done it at higher speeds, and have the skill, but to me it's not worth saving a few minutes.

My first significant split was back in the 90s while riding a big FJ1200. Several of us had ridden up to the famous Rock Store and checked out the canyon roads nearby. Once back on the #405 we made good time for a few minutes, then slowed to a crawl. After half an hour crawling along and frequently stopping, we were tired of it and our big air-cooled bikes were getting pretty hot. Traffic was averaging maybe 7 or 8 miles an hour, so we started splitting at 15 or 20. Aside from the occasional wide truck or the rare individual who didn't realize we were legal and tried to block us, it was not all that difficult. It still took us over two hours to clear the jam. Much better than 4 hours, though.

There is a time and place for that, but I still avoid it most of the time.

Some of those in the East or North will still say it's nuts, but to me is far more sane than living where bikes set up for part of the year because of weather.

Different strokes.
    littletommy and kj7687 like this.

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by Croatoan View Post
    I have to disagree with you kj. That was the motorcycle's fault 100%
    I have to agree, the bike was going WAY too fast for the situation, he had to be traveling at least twice the speed of traffic if not more.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    That was totally the fault of the motorcyclist. And idiots like that give us all a bad name. The motorcyclist should be responsible for all damage caused.

That kind of riding is reckless and totally stupid.

How did you expect the person in the red car (the one that was hit) to see speeding bikes coming up at that rate of speed?

I call foul! There is No Way anyone could even begin to think that was the fault of the car driver.
    Polarpilot likes this.

It is an old pilot's saying but it applies here as well

There are old pilots and bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots.

Substitute the word motorcyclist for pilot -

the guy riding is nuts

How can you guys possibly think it was the fault of the motorcyclist? Did you watch the same video as I watched? The motorcyclist was legally traveling between lanes, when the car rapidly cut him off, swerving out in front of him at the last second, leaving the biker with no real escape options. It is plainly obvious from the video that the driver of the car did not see the motorcyclist, and did not signal before changing lanes and cutting him off. How can you argue that the car driver not seeing the biker, and then suddenly swerving out in front of him after it was too late for the biker to stop, is the biker's fault!? As an automobile driver on public roads, it is your responsibility to pay attention to where you maneuver your vehicle. If you fail to do this, and an accident results directly from your failure (again, this is OBVIOUSLY exactly what happened in the video), then it is completely your fault, no one else's. There's really no other way to put it. The fact is that the car cut the bike off at the last second and gave the guy no options, causing the crash. There is no room for debate here. This is not my opinion. It is simply an indisputable statement of fact. Period, end of story.

That being said...I am not advocating that manner of riding (yes, he was going fast). But facts are facts.
    Last edited by kj7687; 01-19-2015 at 09:10 PM.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty Blackstone View Post
    How did you expect the person in the red car (the one that was hit) to see speeding bikes coming up at that rate of speed? ...
    Oh I don't know, let me think about it. Oh, wait, I DO know. 1.) Glance at rear view and side mirrors. 2.) Turn head to the right a few degrees to check blind spot. 3.) Detect motion of traveling motorcyclist via functioning human eyeballs. 4.) Use functioning human brain: decide that it's not a good idea to pull over in spite of a moving motorcyclist being right there; avoid crash and happily carry on with your journey.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links