Hoot and Nick;s {Not So} Excellent Adventure...part #1
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Hoot and Nick;s {Not So} Excellent Adventure...part #1

Hoot and Nick;s {Not So} Excellent Adventure...part #1

Well Nick got his TW today.....

But not without some unexpected adventure....in the 50 years we have known each other, including a time as College Roommates at Ohio University at Athens, Ohio....we have done some crazy things, and gotten ourselves in some pickles and simple minded spots....today was mild in comparison, but considering Nick's new 2015, which is going to Moab, is involved, it is worth a few photos and some commentary:

I headed out about 7:45 this morning, grabbed a couple of large coffees for the two of us at the local Marathon Station and headed to the south side of Grand Lake to hook up with Nick....we loaded in his F150 Pick-up and headed a few hundred feet in the zero degree weather and hooked up his co-worker Dave's, Covered Harley Trailer, the same one we used last March to pick up my 2014. Lights working we drove west to I-75 and the 90 mile trip to Maumee, Ohio,{west side of Toledo} and Honda/Yamaha/Indian East to pick up the new TW....

Nick's TW Adventure 001.JPG

We arrived at 10:45 or so and he spent the next 90 minutes doing paperwork, and picking out, a pair of gloves, new Helmet, and a couple of Coffee Cups, that he had talked them into....I headed to the nearby McDonalds to get a brisk walk in...the temp was up to 6 above by that time...and I grabbed a strong coffee. By the time I walked back to Honda East, we discovered that they had not added the stock rack as promised on the TW...Not a big deal or a deal breaker, they would sent it via UPS, and frankly we are not sure itf that stock rack is going to go on his bike anyway, but a deal is a deal....finally paper work done, the rookie sales guy pushed the TW out in the lot....saying to Nick, " I know Pat knows more about how to operate these bikes than me, but I still have to go over this stuff"

Nick's TW Adventure 002.JPGNick's TW Adventure 003.JPG

End of Part #1, now on to the "Real Adventure"
    Last edited by Hoot Gibson; 01-28-2015 at 07:50 PM.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

rbm
    Can't wait... (Chews fingernails...)

Hoot and Nick's Adventure part #2

After Levi, the young Sales Guy, went over things with Nick, I switched on the Key, fired up the new TW, with only 4/10th of a mile on the Odometer, and took it around the parking lot a couple of time{nothing like being the first to ride a new Motorcycle, especially if it belongs to somebody else} .....then we loaded it in the trailer, tied it down, and out the parking lot we went, heading back to I-75 via I-475 and the trip home to the Grand Lake area....

Nick's TW Adventure 004.JPGNick's TW Adventure 006.JPG

We are cruising at around 70 in moderate traffic and passed through Findlay, Ohio, and clearing that we headed towards Lima, then Grand Lake.....that's when it happened...

A quick "Thump", some snow flying off the top of the trailer...Nick and I look at each others..."WTF was that"? we give each other that look..."Maybe just snow or ice falling off the top of the Trailer" Nick Says...."OK", I say, not believing that for a minute..."Shit" sez Nick..."the trailer tire is shredding on my side". Slowly we pull off and give ourselves what we can as we pull into the snow, leaving the blown tire on the Driver's Side with plenty of pavement to work on it....Ugly Spare, a Jack, but no Gawd Damn tire wrench to fit the trailer lugs??? ..."Gawd Damn It"... We decide the Hell with it, 15 degrees, truck traffic out the ying yang, so what the Hell, let's call AAA, we both have AAA Plus, let them do the damn work....Dirty Larry Shows up from Lima, does a quick change, and sez, "I'll follow you for a mile and make sure it's OK"....and off we go, with "Larry" trailing us, mile and a half down the road, Larry passes us with a thumbs up and a wave.....not another half mile down the road, "Son of a Beetch"...the Gawd Damn Spare rips to pieces....we are 1 1/2 miles from the Bluffton, Ohio, exit....Nick pulls over as far as we can get and we craw up the hill and towards the Bluffton exit....

Nick's TW Adventure 007.JPGNick's TW Adventure 008.JPG

Tire # 1 Ripped to Shreds, Tire # 2 Spare=Gone in about 2 minutes....

On the spare rim we arrive at a truck dealership, Nick walks in, the guy smiles and hands him a Map...."Tommy's Tire on Main Street, is the place we use....about a mile away" he says....back out the door and "rimming" it for a few more minutes, we arrive at Tommy's....great guys replace tire #1 and check the passenger side tire to make sure it was OK.... and $110 and 30 minutes later, we were out the door, back towards I-75....

Nick's TW Adventure 009.JPG

No more problems as we roll into St Marys on the east side of the lake, and stop at the Mexican Restaurant where his youngest daughter works....a dinner and a beer, then showing his daughter the TW, and we head the final 8 miles to Nick's Ranch....unload the TW, have another beer, and I head home leaving Nick to admire his new toy....what should have been a 5 or 6 hour day, turns into a 9 hours...but what the Hell? The TW is Safe and Sound in his garage, and we are one step closer to Moab.....
    Last edited by Hoot Gibson; 01-28-2015 at 07:57 PM.
    Fred, Smitty Blackstone and Mel like this.

Hidden Content

March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

We Finally Arrive

Safe and Sound and running pretty sweet, we park it in Nick's Garage and I leave him with his New Ride.....one Hell of a Day, but we have experienced worse over the years....

Nick's TW Adventure 011.JPG
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

Hidden Content

rbm
    It was an adventure! Congrats Nick!

Was the clutch return spring hooked up?
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Was the clutch return spring hooked up?

Yep....Honda East tech/Service Guys know their stuff....that's why I talked Nick into taking their deal....sadly, it's a 90 mile drive, but these guys, especially the service folks, know the TW and the rest of the stuff they work on..... That is why I could not be more pleased with my 2014....but if I need work on my 2014...I take my smaller trailer, with new tires...lol, Dave's trailer sits outside, and he only uses it once a year to haul his Harley to Daytona for Bike Week....I'm sure those damn tires had tire rot from 15 years of limited use and sitting out in the weather....mine is garaged, and I will use it from now on, uncovered or not.
    Last edited by Hoot Gibson; 01-28-2015 at 06:28 PM.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
    Yep....Honda East tech/Service Guys know their stuff....that's why I talked Nick into taking their deal....sadly, it's a 90 mile drive, but these guys, especially the service folks know the TW and the rest of the stuff they work on.....
    Good. Well, glad you guys made it home safely. Another bike/another forum member!
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Good. Well, glad you guys made it home safely. Another bike/another forum member!
    Told Nick, who is not big on the Internet, but does do somethings, I would set him up an account...will do that in a day or 3, plumb forgot about it after today's "Adventure"....
    littletommy likes this.

Hidden Content

Sounds like a Baptism by Fire.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links