Close

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By kj7687
  • 1 Post By Tirebiter
  • 2 Post By Indiana

Thread: Why I Ride a TW and Not a KTM

Why I Ride a TW and Not a KTM

My Betty Boop TW is safety orange, not Austrian KTM orange. I take pride in treading lightly these days after having raped and ruined aplenty in my youth but never like these guys. They are having a Euro-blast but the environmental damage makes me cringe. No wonder the average joe dislikes dirt bikes. It sure looks like fun but it also seems irresponsible.
    yawabala likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Well I'm not sure dirt bikes do as much damage (even off trail) as a lot of people assume. Yes they tear up the soil, but what do you do with a rototiller? Tear up the soil to promote new growth. It isn't only destruction (although of course yes, it can be damaging). Plus, they're probably doing less damage than the guy in Louisiana "rollin coal" in his "stacked" turbo diesel F350, that he commutes in by himself, and never tows anything with... Just saying, it's all about perspective. I'm all for avoiding truly unnecessary environmental damage. But you have to remember that just being alive and walking around on the Earth is technically causing damage. Not to mention all the paved roads we've built, all the forests cut down to build our millions of homes and factories, etc. Those things add up to a WHOLE LOT more than all the dirt bikes in the world times one million. Just saying... This being said, I can see where you're coming from and can certainly respect a different opinion, as long as you're not a rotten jerk about it like some people.

P.S. What was painful is hearing those 450's bounce off their ~11k RPM rev limiters ;-) That "hill climb of death" is so nerve wracking. I've been on some pretty gnarly ridge lines with drop offs similar to that and it never gets easier lol! I always think to myself "wtf are you doing" when I'm on them. But when you get down again it feels like you've gone to war and survived.
    Last edited by kj7687; 01-29-2015 at 09:53 PM.
    bowfishjim likes this.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

I think it depends on where you are. A good bit of that vid the vegetation looked pretty lush. If left alone it would grow back pretty quick. Growing up riding in the mountains of Colorado, if you blaze your own trail you could go back 5 years later and see exactly where you went. Stuff doesnt grow fast in CO. I very rarely went off trail. Didnt see the point, there are so many established trails you could go for years without taking the same one twice.
    Hidden Content

2009 TW200 "Cracker" - His fun ADV bike
    2006 TW200 "Blue" - Her fun ADV bike
    2011 XL1200X "48" - My cool bike
    1977 KZ650 - My vintage sport bike

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Kinda wonder if they knew they were in an area they shouldn't have been with all the blurred out faces. Plus, it really looked like they were intent on tearing up some ground. Setting that aside, it looked very dangerous in the early part of the video when they were climbing up the short steep embackment with the drop off on the other side. Later on you could see one guy jumping over the embackment. If don't in this spot, broken bones and bikes was a for sure thing.

The best part for me was the guy saying he wasn't coming to help, but to film! Giggle!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

My guess is the first guy to discover that "hill climb of death", and live to tell someone, wasn't the first guy climbing it at speed, but the second....the one watching.

I posted this video initially not out of any environmental outrage. I was impressed with the speed, power, and capability these guys bikes are capable of.. But then I noticed what a mess they were making compared to the footprint our TWs leave. Am I jealous, envious of their power? Sure, to a certain extent. But essentially living in and adjacent to riding areas I see the cumulative impact of off-road travel and it can be a bit ugly. What if these guys were ripping up your back yard? If you put yourself in the shoes of the landowner these rip-em-ups seem less innocent.
    My point is that I can, and do, ride my TW with a very light long term impact through judicious use of throttle and route selection. When you have a KTM's worth of horsepower between your legs it is hard to resist the temptation to go nuts without thought of the consequences.
    Maybe it is just the mild ~12 hp the TWs have that let them tread lightly. All I know is I feel less guilty astride my TW than when I was rip-snorting on older two-smokers in years past.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Makes me impatient for summer.
    Fred and admiral like this.

Sponosred Links