Admiral's Public Land Clean up Project
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Admiral's Public Land Clean up Project

If anyone's noticed in some of my past ride report's, I've seen tons of discarded trash, debris including chairs, TV's and tires just to name a few items. All this trash our fellow Americans discard illegally bothers me. Last year I decided to start doing something about it, and on a few day's I "towed" some tires off the land and piled them up next to the nearest road for the county to haul off. The amount of tires I removed from the land was but a miniscule amount of what's still out there. And to add insult, some, not all, of the tires I had piled up along side the road were wheeled back down the hill into the land. Very disheartening to say the least.

A couple years ago, I emailed some BLM and county commissioners offering to pick up the trash at my cost (gas, time etc.) and just asked to wave the landfill fee. My requests were met with me saying, "can you here me now"! Not one single official returned my emails, thus why I started the clean up last year on my own.

Fast forward to today, I've decided to renew my clean up efforts. With the advise of a forum member, I thought I'd better not just jump right in and drag the trash up to the road for county personnel to pickup at some date in the future. However, if I get a negative or no response from my request's, I'll go forth is some form or fashion.

So, here I will document my efforts. My contribution to help clean America.

DAY 1:

I called (not emailed) the county landfill explaining my proposed project asking for relief from landfill fee's should I bring in collected trash and debris. The person to whom I spoke said she was not authorized to wave such fee's, but would forward my phone call to the landfill supervisor. I was told the supervisor was not in and gone today, but if I left a message, he would be diligent in returning my call tomorrow. It was also suggested by the person I talked to this request may have to be discussed/approved (waving the landfill fee's), by the county commissioners, so I'm not real hopeful the landfill supervisor can or will make this decision on waving the fee's.

Remember, this is day 1 and I have high hopes.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

rbm
    Goodd luck on a nobel effort Admiral!
    admiral and mudbug like this.

Great start at helping make the world a better place. You are probably right in regards to probably needing authorization from higher up. Perhaps at commissioners level unless someone has some discretionary funds, a sympathetic ear as well as awareness of fiscal advantage of having you rather than the county bear the majority of clean-up costs. Sometimes local TV shows have human interest stories like this that could trigger some publicity and support.
    However should the TV station excessively embarrasses the powers-that-be you may become a pariah. So try to do it anonymously and make sure Georgie wears a disguise.
    In the meantime this public forum helps document your good intentions should the need ever unlikely arise.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Admiral, Your bike looks like it will drag a dozen tires to the dump and then kick the persons ass who refuses to accept them. My bike looks like it is handing out flowers in front of someone playing an acoustic guitar. It is a great thing that you are doing but before I get to work on the environment, I need to get to work only TW. Damn that bike looks great.
    Fred, admiral and mudbug like this.

Get the Boy Scouts involved I think your problem hinges on honesty. Those guys at the dump have probably heard every excuse there is for someone trying to get out of not paying the landfill fees.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Keep it up, Fred. Some cop will probably give you a ticket for littering the roadside.

qwerty, I believe it is Admiral doing the clean-up, not I.
    Last edited by Fred; 02-06-2015 at 01:52 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Keep America Beautiful!
    Thank you Admiral!
    Tire's cost to dispose of and landfill "banned" at least in Michigan. We have 1 day a year that offers free Hazardous household item disposal. Tire's aren't officially taken, but sometimes an offer is made to take a limited quantity.

Makes for good smoke signals Kemosabe
    Fred and mudbug like this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

The trick in dealing with any bureaucracy is getting to the right person. Simply throwing something into the vast hopper never works.

Volunteers

http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/bl...l-jan_8_07.pdf

In the immortal words of a former client, "you gots to talk to the man, not the man what knows the man"
    mudbug likes this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links