Pellet gun
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Pellet gun

Pellet gun

Got a skunky critter problem. My Marlin .22 is no good in the burbs due to proximity issues. I need a varmint rifle in .177 maybe. Around 1200FPS. CO2 or spring? Any recommendations?

I have a Gamo Whisper .177 that I used to take out a raccoon.

co2
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Run what ya brung. Just use CB caps in your .22 Effective, no more noise than a big whack pellet gun,
    Dryden-Tdub and Hikerglenn like this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Lower Hudson River Valley of The Communist State of N.Y.
    My Theoben Crusader gas spring gun is almost as loud as a .22 with cb caps. ( and was a whole lot more expensive ) the Benjamin Marauder is an example of a decent mid priced pcp, and is easier to shoot than any spring gun. A decent co2 powered gun also is just as easy to shoot accurately. The quietest air rifles out there are shrouded pcp s. They are also accurate and as powerful
    as they come. ( although pushing a pellet too fast results in pellet deformation and diminished accuracy ) I have routinely harvested ground hogs with my Theoben .22 caliber pellet rifle spitting them out at around 850 fps. Shot placement is critical, no matter which one you use. Just my . 02. Dave

+1 on the CB caps for your .22 unless using a non firearm is your only legal option for the skunk problem. However a pellet gun can be alot of fun. I don't think I have seen any CO2 approaching 1200fps. Spring-air can do that for under $200, and a nitrogen gas spring eliminates that learning curve for dealing with torque from conventional metal spring uncompressing. Pre-charged pneumatics are the sexy high tec option, but pricy with cost of tanks, pumps, or re-filling expenses. I use a .177 RWS spring air with best results with heaviest pellets I can find. I find lighter alloy pellets very inaccurate in my rifle, I suspect instability at trans-sonic speeds.
    What really works for me extremely well is a Have-A-Heart live trap. Varmints can either be relocated and released or dispatched at close range with a $35 Crossman pump-up. Not very sporting but very effective, trap can work 24/7 while you do other things. Besides it is fun when you catch the neighbor's cat.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I had a Theoben rapid seven, critters used to love it
    Boys and there toys.
    HondaZ50ak2 , Honda CT70 , Honda ST50 , Suzuki TC120 , Suzuki LTF400 , Nissan Navara D40 , XT225 , 2006 + 1993 & 1989 TW200s. Hidden Content

Also fitted there Evolution silencer nice and quite.
    Boys and there toys.
    HondaZ50ak2 , Honda CT70 , Honda ST50 , Suzuki TC120 , Suzuki LTF400 , Nissan Navara D40 , XT225 , 2006 + 1993 & 1989 TW200s. Hidden Content

I'm with Fred on this one. Like many others I have experienced a skunk problem. Living rural the noise of a .22 was not a problem so this was my first answer. Wrong !!! When shot the skunk sprayed. You all know how long a spray smell will linger. The next time, good ol smart Joemama followed the critter a couple hundred yards down my private road to make the kill thinking I was far enough from the house that it would be no problem. Wrong !!!! This time he made into a culvert to die and STINK. Not until we got enough rain to flush the culvert did the smell go away. I still had skunks showing up often. I did some research and found out how to trap skunks. I now use a small trap with a blanket drapped over it with a little bit of extra on the top that can be dropped over the opening once the skunk is inside. A small trap because I read that a skunk can not spray if it can't raise it's tail. A blanket cover because a skunk will not spray what it can't see. I have successfully trap and relocated about a dozed or so skunks now, never having one spray. I handle the cage gently and when at the release sight I set the trap down and uncover the door, open the door and step away and wait for the little guy to come out. Some times it takes a few minutes. This turned out to be a better option for me.

Joe
    Last edited by Joemama; 02-13-2015 at 05:52 AM.
    Dryden-Tdub and mhomadness like this.

Joe is right, a live skunk is easier to deal with on your property than a dead one. They are really not that obnoxious a critter, only when we or our dogs harass them do we get the Peppe Le Peu Last skunk I trapped out of a storage building when released ran right back into the building to hide again. Oh well...skunks do no little damage compared to the pack rats I was after. Those I trap and dispatch while still in the cage.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links