New job opportunity.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New job opportunity.

New job opportunity.

Old friend from forestry classes earned his degree (I just learned enough to manage my own) and now owns a number of tree farms, around the world. He practices the same type of sustainable forestry as I do, taking the mature trees using the most environmentally friendly methods (horses), and preserving the forest. It's a lot more complicated than that, and he's the brain I pick for forestry solutions. He also owns lumber mills that cut to order all manner of specialty woods, like western red cedar, redwood, sitka spruce, yellow popular, white oak red oak, bald cypress, Douglas fir, and many others. Since some woods only grow in certain places (redwoods in California, for instance) and people in Georgia want redwood decks, somebody has to make those cross country deliveries.

That's where I come in. Hauling specialty lumber Reno or Vegas to Charlotte or Atlanta between his distributors. Seems he can't find drivers willing to stay on the road and get the job done, but he does have good local drivers. I'll need This with a high roof sleeper, no cap (wood does not stack that high), lower fairings, 600hp 2050lbs/ft DD16 with DT12, 2.21 6x4 axles, 355/55-22.5 Michelin super singles (most fuel efficient rig in its class), disc brakes. I like the two-tone grey all leather interior. Carolina blue with gold and white reflective graphics. I'll also need five of these with super singles, using the same wheels as the truck so only need to carry one spare. All drop and hook, strap and tarp, and no deadhead.

Money isn't a worry. I can pay cash up front. No time critical loads so stopping for bad weather or servicing and repairs won't be a big deal. A dependable co-driver will see the truck well over 7000 miles per week. Crunched the numbers, net ROI should run around $2600/week after two nice salaries paid. Truck and trailers paid off in three years. After that returns go into savings for new truck. 18 months of savings = new truck shopping time, cash in hand. Trailers should last 40+ years. Tough choice: new truck every 18 months, or bank $2600/week. Hmmm? I like the idea of 33% ROI.

Fred likes this.

It appears you have crunched all the numbers and have that part pretty well nailed. The part I question is where the hell will you find a dependable Co-driver that you could live with for 7,000 miles per week? I am pretty sure I am a lot different than you but such a co- driver would have to be one I could cuddle up with in the down times and trust with my life while I am getting some shut eye. There are a lot of husband/wife teams doing these types of runs. The No Deadheads is also interesting if you can make that really work.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Go Querty! You deserve it. I'd concur with Gary though, choice of co-driver gonna be critical.
    Tonto on the "Left Coast"
    1987 TW200 (2) 2015 BMW F700GS
    More Wagging and less Barking
    "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"
    Make Love not War

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Contact my BIL. Not sure how he's doing since I posted how he lost his bonus.
    Seriously.

Will and Sonny made it work along with B.J. and the Bear. Qwerty can too.

GTG
    Sounds like a sweet gig man, I hope it works out for you.
    "200 cubic centimeters of raw whining power,
    no outstanding warrants for my arrest.
    hi diddle dee dee.
    god damn!
    the pirate's life for me!"

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by GTG View Post
    Sounds like a sweet gig man, I hope it works out for you.
    +1! Sounds like a win win if you can find another driver(s) to work with.

I have several good drivers in mind, but being a cheapskate I'll probably get a Freightliner because the 5700 and Cascadia are the same thing underneath. Really. Owned by the same Germans.

Gary, no real relationship with a co-driver required. Sleep, drive. Sleep, drive. Sleep, drive.

No tarps, all lumber is wrapped in plain blue plastic to prevent theft. Just double check straps and go.

Four distribution centers. Five trailers. Drop a loaded trailer. Hook a loaded trailer. Drive. East west east west east west. No north south north south.

Hey Maybe you could get two Mexican drivers and just stay at home with a laptop and cell for depositing checks and coordinatings.
    Remember everytime you go West your also going LEFT!
    Tonto on the "Left Coast"
    1987 TW200 (2) 2015 BMW F700GS
    More Wagging and less Barking
    "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"
    Make Love not War

Quote Originally Posted by arbolmano View Post
    Hey Maybe you could get two Mexican drivers and just stay at home with a laptop and cell for depositing checks and coordinatings.
    Remember everytime you go West your also going LEFT!
    I already have four trucks with hired drivers. It was Angel's idea. Hauling clay and aggregate for brick companies. Business is slow in the brick industry. These guys are willing to rotate codriver duties so they make a little extra money and don't have to stay gone from home so much.

This truck is to keep me away from home. The ol' home town is just depressing. My son is taking care of the rentals, my daughter-in-law is doing the t-shirts and dump trucks, and sitting around with nothing to do just lets all the old feelings come back. Driving is my therapy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links