Carnival, Rio Style
Close

Carnival, Rio Style

No place comes close to Rio de Janeiro when it comes to celebrating Carnival. I went to this Escola do Samba one year, a competion between usually eight favela drug gang sponsored dance teams, each team with about 2,000 to 4,000 dancers, floats. singers, drummers all singing and dancing the same theme song, stretching for a kilometer or so . Each team takes more than a hour or two to dance it's way past. Maybe 100,000 or so firecrackers precede each team just to wake you up. Event takes two days ( nights). It is like seeing twenty Rose Parades go by without a break.

And of course to get home in the wee early pre-dawn hours the local taxis will drive with their lights off, run every red light and of course pause at green lights just in case their cousin is coming in another taxi the other way. Absolutely crazy celebration in perhaps the prettiest setting imaginable for a metropolis. Did I mention the beaches? The swimsuits? ( or lack thereof?).
    This whole video is of just a very, very small part of just one team's performance stretching from horizon to horizon broken into blocks of say two hundred drummers here, three hunderd dancers in one costume here, another three hundred in another costume there,followed my more drummers,famous celebrities atop extravagant floats wearing more glitter than clothing, all singing same song telling a common theme. It is mind boggling for the average conservative american tourist, it will make you yawn and sleep through any typical US extravaganza.
    Last edited by Fred; 02-21-2015 at 11:16 AM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Rio is on my bucket list
    Hidden Content

2009 TW200 "Cracker" - His fun ADV bike
    2006 TW200 "Blue" - Her fun ADV bike
    2011 XL1200X "48" - My cool bike
    1977 KZ650 - My vintage sport bike

Gorgeous place, one of the prettiest town to get robbed in world-wide. Leave all your jewelry, cell phone and fancy cameras at home and do not leave much money in any ATM accessible bank accounts ( those taxis are not stopping at red lights to save time, they do not want their vehicle swarmed and you kidnapped so low-lifes can hold you until they totally drain your bank accounts).Crime is very organized there. Odd dichotomy of friendly beautiful people and ruthless criminals. In the favelas ( illegal squatter shanty-towns) overlooking the city proper the drug lords run a pretty tight ship and things are safer there than in the city proper. Children are sheltered from criminal prosecution so they make the most dangerous as they will not get punished for shooting you should you delay in handing over your wedding ring. But if you are alert and do not look like a potential victim you can have a fantastic time.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I want to go as a guest!
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

Nothing like going as someone's guest, they can act like a "fixer" knowing the do's and don'ts, plus the cost savings can be tremendous allowing you to treat your hosts to something special in their honor. I got taken all over in a new friend's French jeep-like JPX diesel off-roader. Total blast. Plus they rescued me from a hoard of gaudily made up transvestites who thought I was somehow cute. Help Mr. Wizard!
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Not my cup of tea, but y'all have fun.

Sponosred Links