Took a brake tonight and glad I did.
Close

Like Tree10Likes
  • 7 Post By GaryL
  • 1 Post By Hoot Gibson

Thread: Took a brake tonight and glad I did.

Took a brake tonight and glad I did.

Cold and nasty out but warm and comfy in. We are not big on sitting in front of the TV but cabin fever is at an all time high right about now.

I have been somewhat of an audiophile ever since getting home from the navy after Vietnam. I always loved music and chased a lot of the concerts of the late 60 and early 70 and I always had the latest and greatest albums of the day and the stereo equipment to make them sing nice. As an accomplished cabinetmaker I got heavy in to designing and building high end audio speakers and filling them with all the best components from JBL, Altec Lansing and some of the best electronics I could afford from back then. I still have all this stuff but at 63 it is not as big a deal as it was when I was 30. Some of you don't know anything about spinning vinyl records on a good turntable and through high end stereo equipment.

We had a concert night tonight and dusted off some of this cool stuff after we got a nice fire stoked up down stairs. Wow do I love good music when it is played from the old but good stereo equipment and I have to really appreciate that electronics made back in the mid 70s is still as good today as it was back then and not much of the stuff made today can even come close to the power and sound quality from back then. They dubbed it the Golden Age of Stereo and I am amazed it all still works and sounds so clean and clear.

I kind of doubt we have many here who know any of the cool and old stereo stuff. My favorites are a very big receiver made in 1976, Sansui G 9000 that can pump 150 watts per Ch. of crystal clear amplification. I spin the old albums on a Luxman PD 121 direct drive turntable with a real high end tonearm and even higher end MC (Moving coil) Denon cartridge and it all comes to life through a pair of very large Altec Model 19 speakers that stand 3 feet high and weigh 150 pounds each. I can rattle the windows in my home and never come close to maxing out the sound or distorting it in any way. It is as close to being at the concert as you could ever get while not being there. I had almost forgotten just how nice it is to just have a few cocktails and sit in front of a nice fire while we spin some of our favorite albums and blast the neighbors, Deer, with great tunes from the Eagles, CSNY, Allman Brothers, Marshall Tucker, Dier Straights, Stevie Winwood, James Taylor, Bob Seager, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Pink Floyd, Janice Joplin and a bunch of the other greats that still impress those who think rap is cool.

Music really is cool if you have the gear to make it sound good and taking a concert night at home while warm and safe in front of a nice fire is an exit from the realities of day to day life and all the hustle and bustle. Kick back on a cold night and just spend some time listening to what ever it is that you call your music. It can bring you back to some nice memories and we found ourselves singing along and having a blast.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Garyl, I don't have the system you have, but I do love my vinyl, & have a fair stack of it, some of it is vinyl that my wife & I have had from when we were teens, & even a few children's records. A couple years ago we herd an ad on the local swap shop, someone had over half a doz of the old cabinet stereos for free! We picked this one. Most of the electronics were good, but the turn table was shot... A little help from a cabinet maker friend of mine, and a bit of "Madness", and we now enjoy our vinyl on this:
    P1010242.JPGP1010244.JPG
    I believe it was made in England, at least some of the electronics were... It's a "Morse". m.

I got out of the Army in '70 and sent a Sansui system home too. The turn table is a Dual.. I've got over 400 albums from late '60s, early '70s and don't listen to them often enough.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Technics SL-1200 in a heavy mahogany base
    McIntosh Tube amp, and I remember a Carver Cube in another room. Something about a Z coupler.
    Carver Planar radiators.
    Way more stuff like a Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck.
    Hundreds of albums from Frank Sinatra to Jimi Hendrix, old comedy on vinyl.

All Gone.
    Havent seen any of that stuff in years, as I lost it in the divorce. (been out of the house for 6yrs)

Today, I'm happy with my Sonos system and Pandora. Lately I'm fond of Surf music (Dick Dale) and The Sonics.

Glad you got your vinyl out. Music is incredibly therapeutic.

I think I'll go take a shower using my Kohler Bluetooth showerhead... What modern people will give up in fidelity for convenience.

Being an old Radio DJ and News guy before I got into Environmental Health work, I have hundreds of old LPs and vinyl from the 30s through the 1980s, many old promotional LPs and others that were sent to the stations...guess I will pull some out, take a few photos this next week and show you what I have...still have a couple of turn tables as well....great "Brake" from GaryL down memory lane...
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty Blackstone View Post
    Technics SL-1200 in a heavy mahogany base
    McIntosh Tube amp, and I remember a Carver Cube in another room. Something about a Z coupler.
    Carver Planar radiators.
    Way more stuff like a Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck.
    Hundreds of albums from Frank Sinatra to Jimi Hendrix, old comedy on vinyl.

All Gone.
    Havent seen any of that stuff in years, as I lost it in the divorce. (been out of the house for 6yrs)

Today, I'm happy with my Sonos system and Pandora. Lately I'm fond of Surf music (Dick Dale) and The Sonics.

Glad you got your vinyl out. Music is incredibly therapeutic.

I think I'll go take a shower using my Kohler Bluetooth showerhead... What modern people will give up in fidelity for convenience.
    For quality sound it is hard to beat the Mac tube amps. They are however like Jaguar cars and very hard to keep running. I had them for quite a while and the thing they did best beside sounding great was go up in dollar value. I still have a near perfect Technics SL 1200 turntable and they were just about bullet proof but not near as quiet as the Luxman with the MC cartridge set up.

In the USN I was stationed state side, helicopter combat support Sq. 6 and only ever did a few short atlantic cruises. Never got to where the cool stereo stuff was cheap as dirt. After the navy I did some college on the GI bill and then took a job in the prisons so the GI bill paid me OJT and college benefits that all came in a big retro check once I filed the papers. That was around 1976 and I dropped it all on the best gear of the day. I have kept all my favorite vinyl albums and only ever play them with good tone arms and needles so they still sound pretty good even with the snap, crackles and pops. When I find some of my favorites on CD I grab them as back ups. Those who grew up in the 60s and 70s had a greater affinity for music because TV was a bunch different back then and the radio and stereo got a lot more play time. No I pods and other portable devices to drag your tunes around with you that were worth listening to so a good stereo was a bigger deal. My first TV was a 19 inch screen and I think I got about 6 channels from a roof top antenna that always looked like a snow storm.

The fact that my old gear still sounds great is a testament to the quality of the electronics from back then. Today I have a 46 inch TV with a Yamaha surround sound system and get about 400 channels and we watch a lot of good movies on blue ray DVDs. My how things have changed!

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by TW2013 View Post
    Gary, first...thank you for your service to this country.

Now...the joke.....if you took a BRAKE tonight, was it the front Brake, or the Rear brake ?

Or...did the old sailor take a...BREAK ?????

Were you a Black shoe, or a Brown shoe, in the Navy?

Mike
    Wow! I haven't heard that term used in almost 30 years Mike. I was definitely NOT a black shoe nor was I a snipe. I was a deck ape on a bird farm.

I miss my old Dolby/quadrophonic Pioneer tuner, turntable, reel-to-reel, 8-track, cassette modulars and the four cabinet speakers that required a hand truck to move. Not the best equipment in the world, but good enough for my noise damaged hearing. I worked security occasionally at a couple large venues and LPs often were free, plus I didn't have to buy a ticket. I had every LP the original Lynyrd Skynyrd issued, all Jimmy Buffet's stuff, lots of Charlie Daniels, along with tons of equally memorable but never got THE break bands such as Henry Paul, Winters Brothers, and Glass Bottle.

Sponosred Links