Spring fling on the finger lakes. Kayaks, trout, and maybe TW's.
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Spring fling on the finger lakes. Kayaks, trout, and maybe TW's.

Spring fling on the finger lakes. Kayaks, trout, and maybe TW's.

So here goes folks. It seems people who like TW's also like fishing from kayaks. We are kicking around a get together this spring to catch some big trout from some small boats. The early word is shortly after ice out. For practical purposes this means April but could be into May depending on who is interested. If kayaking is not your thing but camaraderie is there are countless streams and creeks with lot's of big trout in them. I will handle the details and take ownership of this get together so please chime in if at all interested.

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Count me in and dates are usually wide open for me.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I'm In I have two Kayaks and a Canoe, but I'm thinking Canoe for April May I get awful wet in my Kayaks.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Depends on the dates and the length of notice of course, but I may be in. I've got the necessary gear.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Looks like this could be promising. I will start by posting my weekends off. I am NOT on call the weekends of April 4th and 5th, 18th and 19th, May 1st and 2nd. The farther you get from the beginning of April the less likely you are to have large numbers of big trout in the streams. This has no bearing on the lakes though and in fact makes trolling or casting from kayaks near shore even better.

Tom

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

I can't predict weather any better than the paid weathermen but certainly not much worse either! Given the conditions right now, I was fishing yesterday in a blizzard and we have a good 18 inches of ice here. My birthday is just a month away on April 3rd and I don't expect to be trout fishing for it unless we get some major warm rains this month and then I will be fighting flooding. I think pushing for a bit later in April will be a wiser choice for this particular year.

It is also very difficult to plan much ahead at this time of year. Weather could be extreme on any weekend in late April and right through late May so we should keep any plan rather fluid. As I said, I can go just about any time and it is probably not much more than a few hours drive for me. Coming from long distances only to get rained out or blown off the lakes is a real concern. I have seen good snow storms in June in the finger lakes region of NY so be prepared to change any far off plans. I expect we could still be ice fishing this year in early April.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Can you guys post some links to the fishing areas you are talking about. Plus I would love to see some pictures to kick start my dreams.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I can't predict weather any better than the paid weathermen but certainly not much worse either! Given the conditions right now, I was fishing yesterday in a blizzard and we have a good 18 inches of ice here. My birthday is just a month away on April 3rd and I don't expect to be trout fishing for it unless we get some major warm rains this month and then I will be fighting flooding. I think pushing for a bit later in April will be a wiser choice for this particular year.

It is also very difficult to plan much ahead at this time of year. Weather could be extreme on any weekend in late April and right through late May so we should keep any plan rather fluid. As I said, I can go just about any time and it is probably not much more than a few hours drive for me. Coming from long distances only to get rained out or blown off the lakes is a real concern. I have seen good snow storms in June in the finger lakes region of NY so be prepared to change any far off plans. I expect we could still be ice fishing this year in early April.

GaryL
    Wholeheartedly agree about the weather being unpredictable. As far as ice goes, if we choose Cayuga lake that will be clear by April barring an extremely cold March. Also with Cayuga you are very well protected from the winds on the west side of the lake which is where I find the best trout fishing in the early spring. Keuka lake on the other hand is frozen solid now with no open water. They were landing planes on it a few weeks ago I am flexible to the extent that I live nearby and do not have much travel involved. I am on call every other weekend though so I have to work around that. Me being the sacrificial sort that I am could still work with everyone if the best weekend for the group is one I am on call. I can fish for several hours every morning before I must leave to run calls so whatever.

Top,

I will post some pics and links later after work. There is plenty to get excited about with the fantastic fishing opportunities up this way. If you like wine forget about it! You will be in heaven!!!

Tom

"Big trout from Small boats" -Tom, you really paint an attractive picture. This thread will be well worth following.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    "Big trout from Small boats" -Tom, you really paint an attractive picture. This thread will be well worth following.
    These lakes hold brown and rainbow trout that go up over 20 pounds. 5-10 pound trout are pretty common if you hit it right. They stack up at the mouth of the rivers waiting for the right temps to make their spawning runs. You can probably google Katherine's creek and it should show you some of the monsters that come from Seneca Lake each spring. Lots of fun to be had from a small boat. I suppose a canoe would be OK but I don't get wet in my sit on top fishing kayaks and they are way easier and more fun. It will be cold for sure as the water is probably 40-45 degrees but this is when the trout are most active. All of the finger lakes produce some slob trout this time of year.

GaryL

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links