Custom Knives
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Custom Knives

Custom Knives

My Step Son Chris called me a few weeks ago and said he wanted to buy me Custom Knife for Christmas. Wow so many choices in designing a knife. He knows I love knives and I would be proud to own a custom from him. I thought I would throw it out there for some ideas from you guys. Show me your blades!
    Last edited by TopPredator; 03-05-2015 at 06:05 AM.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Buck® Knives - OFFICIAL SITE - Hunting and Tactical Knives

I have owned a "Lancer" model 305 which is the smallest 2 blade they make for 40 years or so. I use it almost everyday. It's not what you are looking for, but it's been a great knife. They have a lot of cool models.
    TWilight likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

rbm
    I seem to remember Borneo has one or two...
    Borneo likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Buck® Knives - OFFICIAL SITE - Hunting and Tactical Knives

I have owned a "Lancer" model 305 which is the smallest 2 blade they make for 40 years or so. I use it almost everyday. It's not what you are looking for, but it's been a great knife. They have a lot of cool models.
    That is a sweet knife I bought one similar to that from Sears and gave it to my Grandfather. I was probably around 14 at the time and after he passed I found it in his house. It had the small blade broken off I guess I could have had it replaced at Sears but it wouldn't have been the same. Thanks for reminding me of that knife I think I carry it for awhile. I'm never without a knife in my pocket.
    littletommy likes this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    I seem to remember Borneo has one or two...
    Yes he does he showed me a custom knife called a Smokejumper last weekend. It's a sharp little fixed blade.
    Last edited by TopPredator; 03-04-2015 at 09:20 PM.

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Here are some of the knifes I'm considering.
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

If I could carry in MD this would be the sheath I would choose.
    image.jpg

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

rbm
    Some nice looking knives there ^^ what are they?

I belong to a traditional archery forum called Trad Gang, they also have a section on custom knifemaking. You can browse around there as a nonmember, some beautiful work.

Trad Gang.com: Hunting Knives and Crafters

Gaetan Beauchamp makes some of the most beautiful custom knives I have ever seen. One called "Come and Go Leopard" is particularly gorgeous. You can see it and enlarge the art at AG Russell here. A.G. Russell Knives | Gaétan Beauchamp - Come and Go Leopard

Also check out his Scrimshaw pages at his own website. Gaétan Beauchamp

For a huge selection of custom knives to get ideas from go here. Arizona Custom Knives - Custom handmade and production knives All my dealings with Arizona have been positive.

The majority of my custom knives are made by Randall. Randall Made Knives Note there are both "catalog" and "non catalog" knives available as well as endless personal customization. Also be aware the current wait time for a Randall is approximately 5 years. There are however dealers, such as Nordic Knives who have inventory. Nordic Knives - The Leader in Custom Knives - Custom Knives

The knife I had in West Virginia was a Ruana "Smokejumper" RUANA KNIVES - BONNER, MONTANA The wait time on a Ruana is far shorter than a Randall. They make excellent knives for the price.

As a final note, all my knives are "users" I'm not saving them in a safe in pristine condition for anyone. They see field use regularly, always have. For instance my designated dive knife is a Randall. For that I carry it in a custom kydex sheath. Most of my Randalls have custom sheaths, leather and made by me to suit the purpose I have for the particular knife. I also have an affinity for non-stainless knives. I find they sharpen easier and develop character over time. For instance the Ruana blade steel was heavily aged and showed considerable patina. Once a tool steel or carbon blade develops a patina it becomes less susceptible to short term rusting issues. Obviously non-stainless knives require a commitment to care. If you end up with a non-stainless knife I can easily explain to you how to properly patina the blade for good field service.

Randalls and Ruanas are well suited for everyday use. They may be custom, but they are functional in the extreme.

You may also enjoy looking at the EK knives and reading about their history. They are famous fighting knives. Apparently they were recently bought out by Ka-Bar, and may no longer qualify as a custom knife.

As a final note, be careful of Randalls offered by private sellers and on Ebay. They are at a level of collectability and of a price point that invites counterfeiting.

Here is a picture of a few Randalls I just happended to have on my computer.

Attachment 14402Attachment 14403

This Chris Reeve is also a custom knife.

Attachment 14404

As is this Mooremaker.

Attachment 14405

Understand that the definition of a custom made knife varies. Some consider it a knife that is individually hand made. Others consider it a knife that is made to your individual design and specifications. Regardless of the definition, have fun selecting your gift knife Rick. They can become treasured possessions and valuable heirlooms. My personal favorite custom knife, and the one that sees the most use is an extensively customized Randall Combat Companion...which is not pictured. If you decide on a Randall and need more pictures of other models or various custom options, PM me and I'll break out the camera.
    wolfy, GTG, TopPredator and 2 others like this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

I belong to a traditional archery forum called Trad Gang
    And excellent site. I'm not a member, but I visit occasionally. I have been making and hunting with my own longbows since I was in my teens. Primarily of the Howard Hill style.
    Hikerglenn likes this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links