chainsaw mill
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: chainsaw mill

chainsaw mill

wood tools, sawmill 324.JPGBeen thinking for a while of making a system to make half round logs for a cabin. By doing this they will have a flat wall on the inside and look log cabin on the outside. It also makes good lumber. I have upgraded it some for more accuracy and also put a bigger powerhead on.

This one will cut an 18ft log up to 4ft in dia for lumber and an 19in dia for logcabin material.

Thinking about making up a set of plans for anyone interested in making one.

I just noticed the double take, just added the horizontal, sorry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by plumbstraight; 03-08-2015 at 10:43 AM.

I have helped operate a few of these, from the small ones where the guide just attaches to the saw bar to the more precise ones like you show. A friend had one similar to what you show except the bar was horizontal and had a powerhead on each end. Two big Stihls. He had a boat trailer winch rigged to pull the carriage through the log, with pulleys/harness to keep it straight. Worked very well, and let him work it alone.
    One thing to know is with the 3/8" width of kerf you produce massive amounts of sawdust. He was putting it everywhere and giving it away as well. Oh and using skip chain with fewer teeth was way easier to keep sharp and it cut just as good.
    Last edited by boznarras; 03-05-2015 at 12:51 PM.

We have a guy here with a towable band saw mill, think it is a Wood Miser. He will set up on your property and the mill is pretty darn slick. I think he goes around to guys who already have the trees cut and stacked for their cabin builds and in a day or two he rips them up to your order.

25 years ago around here there were a lot of small saw mills that have gone belly up. Not sure why they could not make it in business but the remnants remain and there are two of them within 10 miles of my home. Just about every older barn here was built with rough sawn lumber from these privately owned mills but I guess not many people are building barns these days.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Small businesses go under because big businesses buy cheaper from places with cheaper labor and fewer regulations and sell cheaper even with the increased transportation cost.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Small businesses go under because big businesses buy cheaper from places with cheaper labor and fewer regulations and sell cheaper even with the increased transportation cost.
    I believe, here at least, the small saw mills have gone away because the demand for rough cut, non kiln dried lumber went away. Agree it is probably not much more expensive to buy dimensional lumber from the big box stores and much easier to work with in the long runs. I do have a fond appreciation when I go in some of these old local barns and see that a 2X4 is actually a full 2 inches by four inches. As a carpenter doing home repairs however, this can present some issues due to the instability of non kiln dried framing.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

We have a lot of small sawmills. A lot are pallet makers. I get my slab,firewood from an Amish mill, about 5 miles by road-2 if I could go straight there. My friend owns one in the other direction, same road issue. 2=5 All my tongue and grove came from his- he has a kiln. I can think of at least 4 more close by. There was a mobile one around awhile back not sure if he's still doing it.
    The Amish mill has slab bundles of maple they sell/use for boiling down maple syrup.

Just curious about the Amish saw mill...how it is powered?
    Never lived near Amish, so dont know their rules or logic on machines. Is their mill powered by horses or what?

There was an article on Amish or Mennonites in a woodworking magazine I read, They had a shop where the band saw and lathe and such had been converted to run on compressed air. Apparently it was OK to have a big central electric compressor, but not to have several electric tools?? Curious...

Some sects have different rules. In my area propane hi-lows are allowed for businesses. Tractors and equipment can be used again for business. The mill has large generators I'm not sure if it powers saws or like your example just the air compressor. Our new Amish store has generators for producing electricity for coolers. Lights are propane which also helps heat the store.
    So horse just pull buggies to church and town. Some are used by the "low" impact wood harvesters. Some Amish became Mennonite a few years ago because the could drive auto's, but I think it was a community Van, not individual vehicles. Some here have cell phones!

Quote Originally Posted by Padilen View Post
    Some sects have different rules. In my area propane hi-lows are allowed for businesses. Tractors and equipment can be used again for business. The mill has large generators I'm not sure if it powers saws or like your example just the air compressor. Our new Amish store has generators for producing electricity for coolers. Lights are propane which also helps heat the store.
    So horse just pull buggies to church and town. Some are used by the "low" impact wood harvesters. Some Amish became Mennonite a few years ago because the could drive auto's, but I think it was a community Van, not individual vehicles. Some here have cell phones!
    Good observations Padilen. I have seen the Amish in central PA using wind mill and water mill power to run their machines in wood shops. Because of regulations this is becoming rather rare and most sects have been forced to mechanize to some degree. They do have communal vans that ferry members to job sites when they are erecting barns which is a major source of their income over and above the farming and crafts they produce. Generally very honorable and respectful individuals who work hard and stay close to themselves and rely upon the old fashioned ways of doing things. One of our favorite short road trips is going the the Amish country in PA and visiting their stores. Great honey, maple syrup and other preserves and some of the finest pies and baked goods to be found. I want very much this summer to go and watch an old fashioned barn raising because they are the masters of this trade.

GaryL

Before painting a rosy picture of the Amish and Mennonites, they ain't exactly lining up for sainthood. After all, they are all born sinners, just like the rest of us. They are far, far from their roots, just like the rest of us. That said, I'd wager Amish and Mennonite food products are much less harmful to consumers than agribusiness food products over the long term, and the Amish and Mennonite ways of farming are significantly more sustainable than the agribusiness methods. Those are the reasons I pay more for Amish and Mennonite food products.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links