Pilots:
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Pilots:

Pilots:

Any pilots out there? I'm sure there is. Just curious to know what and where you fly for recreation. I started out as an ultralight pilot. Still my favorite way to aviate. The nemesis of any pilot low altitude and slow airspeed. Still it's the most fun I have ever had in the air. Sold my Challenger II a few years ago but itching to get airborne again.
    Hekkler likes this.

Misc Pics0001 (115).jpgMisc Pics0001 (114).jpgMisc Pics0001 (118).jpgMisc Pics0001 (121).jpg
    Here are a few pics of my old ultra light from back in the early 90s. My daughter Sarah is the little pink pumpkin sitting in the pilot seat lol. I had a Will's Wing 1991 supersport. The tricycle had a 407 Rotax which was kind of underpowered but still fun. My buddy Dave's rig had a 503 Rotax. There was an old timer that lived in Chelatchie Prarie WA that had a small private strip and a hangar on his farm and he loved to watch us do touch and go's. He'd let us fly anytime we wanted out of his property for free. No instrumentation on the trikes but we ran a trio cluster when soaring (unpowered) Altimeter, variometer and a handy little gadget we used called a thermal snooper. It would detect the warm air eddies around a thermal so you could locate it easier to "core it" since that was your primary source of lift unless you were near a cliff or steep hill to capture some ridge lift.
    I actually started out soaring and then moved to an ultralight. I've never flown a conventional plane. I haven't flown in over 20 years. I do miss it but the older I get the more aware of my mortality I get. I want to see my grandkids grow up lol.
    Last edited by Hekkler; 03-09-2015 at 03:36 PM.
    Fred likes this.

Corvair powered Zodiac 601XL tail dragger. I'll fly 1000-1200 miles for a hamburger every now and then. Usually to windward in the morning, then a tailwind home. My son takes my dad up once a week or so when the weather is warm enough.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

100.jpg

My two place Challenger.
    Fred, Hekkler and joejr like this.

Built a tow place beaver kit out of Canada a few years back. Sold it and picked up a Cherokee and sold that this year. Have an experimental now called a thunderbird. Just doing a annual right now. I plan to sell it also as it is a bit small for me and I have access to my old Cherokee and a tripacer.

Just picked up a set of plans for a fiesler storch. Hope to start on it soon. As far as low and slow, it will fly at fifteen and cruise at a hundred.
    Hekkler and joejr like this.

Something like this?
    Hekkler likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Qwerty is there anything you don't do? Last year I checked into getting certified. Maybe in a few years.
    1991 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by plumbstraight View Post
    Built a tow place beaver kit out of Canada a few years back. Sold it and picked up a Cherokee and sold that this year. Have an experimental now called a thunderbird. Just doing a annual right now. I plan to sell it also as it is a bit small for me and I have access to my old Cherokee and a tripacer.

Just picked up a set of plans for a fiesler storch. Hope to start on it soon. As far as low and slow, it will fly at fifteen and cruise at a hundred.
    The farmer who's property we flew from had an old Piper Tripacer and a Cessna. The Piper was a cool plane.

I am an old pilot myself. Your Zodiac 601XL is moving right along to cover 2400 miles and back for a hamburger in one day. No way could my bladder withstand that. What is your cruise speed KTAS?

Have you read this article?

Lawyer calls Zodiac CH-601XL ?Corvair of the Air? ? General Aviation News
    Last edited by joejr; 03-10-2015 at 06:36 PM.
    Hekkler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by joejr View Post
    I am an old pilot myself. Your Zodiac 601XL is moving right along to cover 2400 miles and back for a hamburger in one day. No way could my bladder withstand that. What is your cruise speed KTAS?

Have you read this article?

Lawyer calls Zodiac CH-601XL ?Corvair of the Air? ? General Aviation News
    That's an interesting article. When I chose to learn to fly hang gliders, the main thing that attracted me to it, (besides the purist aspect) was the simplicity of design and safety record. On a delta type glider, there is only one moving part, the pilot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links