Pickled............??
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Pickled............??

Cool Pickled............??

Eggs

So, Every few months, I make up a batch of beet pickled eggs. I had these a lot when I was a kid, since my Dad and Grandpa made them, along with pickles, and relish. Good stuff. About 7 years ago, I saw them in a deli. So I bought a few, and yep, they were good. Brought back memories. But at $1.50 per egg, screw that. So, I started asking around, and searching online. Nothing online tasted right. So, a coworker's aunt made them, and I got the recipe. OK, but needed tweaking. Anyway, does anyone else like or make these? Not many people I know do, so I get to eat all I make. I always make a small batch for my Mom. I LOVE Deli style pickles too. But can't find the right mix to make my own. Anyone have any? Now Deli style may vary from state to state or areas. I'm talking about NY Deli style. They're expensive in the stores, so I want to make my own with cucumbers from my garden....

Just mixed, and eggs placed in jar last weekend.

After a week, almost 100% ready, but couldn't wait. 2 to 3 weeks is done, and will last up to 6 months in fridge. I get 2 batches out of 1 mix. So as I take eggs out, I put more in, pushing to bottom. I can fit 16 in this jar.

Last edited by Werloc; 03-12-2015 at 01:58 PM.
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I love pickled anything, love beets too and those look friggin delicious!!
    My mom made her own pickles with fresh cucumbers and also made "dilly beans" a spicy hot dill cured green bean.
    I could probably get moms recipe from my sister but I don't know if it would be to your liking or not. You could try it out and chuck it you didn't. I know we kids devoured them.
    Last edited by Hekkler; 03-12-2015 at 02:10 PM.
    BillPacific likes this.

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Those eggs look delicious!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Earlier this week I finished off a large jar of pickled peppers so I hard boiled a dozen eggs and put them in the juice. They are going to Moab with Scamper the moose hound and I next Thursday. Those pickled eggs are a treat I enjoy but the Moose Hound doesn't get any cause they produce noxious fumes in him.

Happy Trails All
    Ron in Boise

Yeah, well, I like that salty vinegar garlic dill flavor, SVGD... Oh, geez, almost forgot. I pickle green plum tomatos. The same as cucumbers for deli style pickles, but I cheat. I love these store bought pickles. These are only found in the refridgerated section, not room temp on the shelves with the rest of the pickles. But at $6 bucks a jar, can't afford them as much as I'd like.

I cheat by just putting in cucumber slices, and plum tomatos just cut in half after the original pickles are gone. Save the juice. I'll add some extra salt, vinegar and some dill seeds to kick up the diluted mix. This jar just got tossed. You can see how the cucumbers look dark. Just to old and weak. This is what I'm trying to come up with and make on my own. My Dad and Grand Dad had the barrels in the basement when I was a kid. I get these strong cravings for vinegar pretty often. I'll pour off some pickle juice into a small cup and sip it. When I eat a sub sandwich, it's gotta be soaking, dripping wet with red wine vinegar. Most call subs, hogies or heros. In NJ and I think NYC area, they are subs. We have Sub Shops, that only make and sell Submarine sandwiches on a long 2' foot Italian bread. Not these Subway or Blimpy foot long crap. Nothing on them. One layer of meat? WTF. You want a foot long, then you order a half sub. Can't get anything else there, but your drink, and a small bag of chips. No white bread or rye or hard roll sandwiches. You gotta go to a deli for those. Shit, now I'm hungry......LOL Gunna have a sub for lunch tomorrow for sure. I'll post a pick.... I even pour red wine vinegar on my Pizza. I started that as a kid. Pop took us out for pizza dinner every friday night on our way to the lake house in PA. So, big house salad was on the table with Oil & Vinegar Italian Dressing. At the bottom was all the extra vinegar. So I'd dunk my pizza crust in it. That's how all this started. That and those pickle barrels in the basement. One of my Dad's buddies owned a deli in town named The Pickle Barrel. If I posted a pic a dose 2, Ah Fugetaboutit.....
    Bob

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hey Al,
    I'll bring some the next time we ride. I'll pour off and fill a mayo jar sized to bring. Please remind me, OK...?
    Last edited by Werloc; 03-12-2015 at 06:23 PM.
    Bob

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Roninboise View Post
    Earlier this week I finished off a large jar of pickled peppers so I hard boiled a dozen eggs and put them in the juice. They are going to Moab with Scamper the moose hound and I next Thursday. Those pickled eggs are a treat I enjoy but the Moose Hound doesn't get any cause they produce noxious fumes in him.

Happy Trails All
    Ron in Boise
    Yeah, the eggs are good, but wife suffers....LOL

They sound good. Peppers are pretty firm and dense to soak up any flavors., no?
    Bob

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Hekkler View Post
    I love pickled anything, love beets too and those look friggin delicious!!
    My mom made her own pickles with fresh cucumbers and also made "dilly beans" a spicy hot dill cured green bean.
    I could probably get moms recipe from my sister but I don't know if it would be to your liking or not. You could try it out and chuck it you didn't. I know we kids devoured them.
    Yeah, Me too. I would love to try those if you got the recipe. Can't do hot anymore even though I love it. I'll try it, but maybe leave out the heat. I love the long green beans raw as a snack. I pick a handful from the garden while I'm outside in the yard.
    Yeah, I messed up my stomach when I was young. The 2nd motorcycle shop I worked at, I had a side cabinet on my tool box. Not for tools. I had jars of hot peppers, my Dad's pickles, cans of anchovies, etc. I worked there for 12 years, and still be there today if they didn't close shop. Anyway, that's the only part I'd lock. I never locked my tools cuz the 2 owners would use them when I wasn't around on weekends. So my Dr said I got ulcers from eating hot peppers first thing every morning after my coffee on and empty stomach. I don't believe that, but once I stopped eating HOT stuff, my ulcers healed. Maybe he's was right.

Yeah, whenever, if you remember someday, send me that if ya get it. I will post my beet pickled eggs recipe. Very easy to make. Easy to change to your liking too....
    Bob

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Roninboise View Post

Happy Trails All
    Ron in Boise
    Couldn't be any worse than the old commercial fisherpersons who used to hit my bar every Saturday night. They'd buy two gallons of pickled eggs to take on the boat. After 5 days eating pickled eggs and fish, well, it was deadly.

I remember eggs and beets. Ma made them every so often. Now that you mention them I got a hanker'in.
    littletommy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links