Drill doctor??
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Drill doctor??

Drill doctor??

Being a project guy I can beat-up a lot of drill bits. Was pretty pleased with myself when I found them (Drill Doctors) on sale at Sears some years ago. Looked like something I would profit from owning, so I invested in the model just below the top-of-the-line. I have read, and re-read the instructions. Even watched the videos. Does not seem like rocket science, but I have yet to make more than a couple of bits cut better than when they were dull. I brought a 5/16 bit that I 'sharpened' into the machine shop of the company I worked for, the machinist I showed it to laughed. The relief is way off, he said. I know, I replied, but I can't figure out how to get more. He chuckled and replied, spend $3,000 and get a good machine. He then proceeded to "sharpen" my bit on his machine.

One real tool guy review I read, had the Drill Doctor listed as one of the top five waste of money tools he ever bought. Certainly there must be some trick togetting it to work better. Yes, I can, and sometimes I do sharpen some bigger bits on my fine grinding wheel, but my eyes are marginal for such a task and generally my safety glasses are pretty dirty, as they are always used.

Any pointers or experiences with the Drill Doctor much appreciated. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

Not that I'm aware of. I bought one several years ago and consider it a total waste of money.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

I've made attempts at using a drill doctor before but I have always had better luck sharpening them with a bench grinder. I use a fine stone and use the side of the wheel, always putting a little more pressure on the trailing end of the bit as I rotate it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I was given a Chinese index and the quality was so poor I couldn't drill through a seasoned white oak 2x4 without ruining the bit. I didn't know "carbon steel" could be so soft. I get bits from my brother-in-law who owns a machine shop, carry them back and a quick dip in his sharpener and right back to perfection. He pays pennies to quarters per bit buying 100 of a given size at a time, even for bits that would cost several dollars each retail. I get them for cost, with the common sizes up to 1/2 inch or so running from 20 for a dollar to 2 for a dollar. I have SAE to 2 inches, metric to 50mm, and wire sizes. The drawers to store the collection cost a small fortune, but my bit collection would probably be $20k or more retail. If you've a friend who is a tool and die maker or machinist ask about their bulk bits. Good quality at low prices.

I have the drill doctor and feel your pain. One thing I have learned about the machine is that it sucks for the smaller drill bits. Once I sharpen the bits above 1/4" it works very nice. In an effort to alleviate drilling issues with the smaller bits I found a sale at HD where they had value packs of the smaller bits up to 1/4", I think 100 bits in the pack with 5-10 of each of the various sizes and these packs were $9.99 each, I bought 5 packs and just toss the tiny bits once they dull.

I have purchased just about every type of bit from all the standard places and the ones from Harbor freight are horrible, especially the ones claimed to be Titanium. Fastenall sells the various smaller sizes in 10 packs and they are usually high quality and I can burn up a bunch of 1/8th inch bits pretty quick. I highly recommend against ever sharpening a tiny bit by eye. It is a quick way to end up with crooked holes drilled in expensive materials. I also find that drill bits made from carbide seem to last the longest. Use the drill doctor only on bits over 1/4" and you should get good results.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Gary, you gotta be the only satisfied Drill Dr. owner in the world. I'm back to my homemade jig that uses a piece of small angle. You ever need spare parts, I'll take a hammer to mine and you can have anything that pops off in one piece.
    Gerry likes this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Of course we don't call it the Drill Dr. We call it the "Bit Butcher."
    Gerry likes this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Gary, you gotta be the only satisfied Drill Dr. owner in the world. I'm back to my homemade jig that uses a piece of small angle. You ever need spare parts, I'll take a hammer to mine and you can have anything that pops off in one piece.
    At a flea market a few years ago I purchased a shoe box full of used drill bit from a retired machinist. While my knee was healing from surgery I sat one full day with the drill doctor and probably a thousand different bits. There certainly is a science to getting them right but after I had a bunch sharpened I would chuck them in a bench top drill press and test them out. The ones over 1/4" seemed to be fine but very few of the smaller ones worked very well at all. It is a learning process and once you get the nack you should be able to use the doctor on the larger bits. I would not recommend the drill doctor at all but it was a gift so I played with it and found some of the tricks to make it somewhat useful.

GaryL
    Borneo likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Obviously a learning curve I managed to ride off. Actually nice to hear that someone can make one work. In the past when people asked me about them I just told them to google "drill dr sucks"
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Obviously a learning curve I managed to ride off. Actually nice to hear that someone can make one work. In the past when people asked me about them I just told them to google "drill dr sucks"
    One day when you have enough flies tied and are sitting on your duff, drag out the DD and a small bench top drill press. I am sure you have one. Play with 1/4" bits. I have a box by both of my drill presses for dull bits. Set the DD according to the instructions and play around with doing one bit and trying it in the press until you get it right. It is in that twist while sharpening.

GaryL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links