Chromebook?
Close

Thread: Chromebook?

Chromebook?

A couple of months ago there was a discussion about chrome books. I cannot remember what all was discussed but, I'm thinking of one for a single purpose and would like some input.

I need to set up something too just do Ebay and Pypal on. I need to be able to do pic uploads, email, paypal and a little research on. Will a Chrome work? and would this be a good choice?

Amazon.com : LG ChromeBase 22CV241-W 22-Inch All-in-One Cloud Desktop : Computers & Accessories
    2001 TW200
    1999 DR350SE
    2002 Sportster 1200
    Suzuki Ozark 250 (Broke)
    Rokon RT140 (in a basket)
    Belarus AS250 tractor

rbm
    Where's Tom?

I was in that discussion and I did buy an HP chromebook laptop as recommended by DrydenTdub. I could not be happier with it and I think it will do exactly what you want it to but I don't know that model. Zdiver1 also bought the same model as mine and we paid $250. They were factory reconditioned but only because they got recalled because of a problem in the power cord port. Both ours were probably brand new units sent back to HP for the updated power port fix and were not ever used. I love mine and I think Z loves his.

CBs don't have giant internal hard drives for storing lots of big files and pictures. What they do have is USB ports. I bought a 64GB jump drive that plugs right in and this is where I store all my photos so they don't clog my HD. The CB is different but so simple even a dummy like me can use it. It takes all of 5 seconds to boot up in the morning because it does not have to load all the BS programs associated with MS windows computers. I don't need virus protection programs and have never had to download any updates yet. I got mine back in November and both my I pad and desk top computers could be tossed out with the trash for all the good they are.

Wait for Dryden to give you some guidance or drop him a PM.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rivershot View Post
    A couple of months ago there was a discussion about chrome books. I cannot remember what all was discussed but, I'm thinking of one for a single purpose and would like some input.

I need to set up something too just do Ebay and Pypal on. I need to be able to do pic uploads, email, paypal and a little research on. Will a Chrome work? and would this be a good choice?

Amazon.com : LG ChromeBase 22CV241-W 22-Inch All-in-One Cloud Desktop : Computers & Accessories

While I was unfamiliar with the particular model you inquired about I went and did some research. While ALL Chrome OS machines operate on identical software price points can swing a lot. With higher build quality usually comes higher price tags "I know, no revelation there" Because I found the price on your link very favorable considering the hardware you get with that price I wanted to see what the build quality was like. From the several tech reviews I read the model you are looking at is a real bargain at $319.00! For the purposes you described you would do well with a Chromebook or Chrome based all in one computer. Before you pull the trigger though could you tell me if you have any extra computer hardware just lying around collecting dust ie. Monitor, keyboard and mouse? If you do there are even cheaper options available that will do everything you wish very, very well.

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden-Tdub View Post
    While I was unfamiliar with the particular model you inquired about I went and did some research. While ALL Chrome OS machines operate on identical software price points can swing a lot. With higher build quality usually comes higher price tags "I know, no revelation there" Because I found the price on your link very favorable considering the hardware you get with that price I wanted to see what the build quality was like. From the several tech reviews I read the model you are looking at is a real bargain at $319.00! For the purposes you described you would do well with a Chromebook or Chrome based all in one computer. Before you pull the trigger though could you tell me if you have any extra computer hardware just lying around collecting dust ie. Monitor, keyboard and mouse? If you do there are even cheaper options available that will do everything you wish very, very well.

Tom
    Thanks for the reply Tom

I don't have any extra hardware, been laptop only for the last 15 years and Mac for the last 5. I don't want to relearn windows and cheap old Macs aren't as cheap as a CB. The reason I;m looking at the CB is I need a dedicated computer to setup at my Mom's/Grandparents for making room for my mom. My GP were packrats of the depression era and many (1000's) of items are of no family interest and too good for Goodwill. I need to treat this as a job and keep it separate from my coffee table/ laptop.

I know, too much info but, just like bikes, you always have to justify a new toy, right.
    2001 TW200
    1999 DR350SE
    2002 Sportster 1200
    Suzuki Ozark 250 (Broke)
    Rokon RT140 (in a basket)
    Belarus AS250 tractor

Quote Originally Posted by rivershot View Post
    Thanks for the reply Tom

I don't have any extra hardware, been laptop only for the last 15 years and Mac for the last 5. I don't want to relearn windows and cheap old Macs aren't as cheap as a CB. The reason I;m looking at the CB is I need a dedicated computer to setup at my Mom's/Grandparents for making room for my mom. My GP were packrats of the depression era and many (1000's) of items are of no family interest and too good for Goodwill. I need to treat this as a job and keep it separate from my coffee table/ laptop.

I know, too much info but, just like bikes, you always have to justify a new toy, right.
    Honestly, you just can't go wrong with the model you chose. Buy it and enjoy a hassle free computer experience. It is the TW of the computer world.

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Sponosred Links