4 a.m
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: 4 a.m

4 a.m

this morning driving home from Moab motoring thru Navajo country between Mexican Hat and Monument valley I was going 65+ and on top of a hill all of sudden their was a large Buck in the other lane no time to slow or stop lucky for me the Deer just looked at me .

GTG
    Just this morning on the hiway I saw what was left of a deer on the right shoulder, and a 4x4 through the concrete barricade 4 lanes over on the left side. Emergency crews already there, so I didn't stop.
    Glad you are alright!
    "200 cubic centimeters of raw whining power,
    no outstanding warrants for my arrest.
    hi diddle dee dee.
    god damn!
    the pirate's life for me!"

Phew! Glad that it stayed put and that there was no collision! This is a problem wherever deer / antelope occur. Here fortunately they already move away for the most part when they hear a vehicle approaching, but sometimes they 'freeze' and become transfixed if they look into the headlight beams. That's not too bad because you can still sometimes brake in time or avoid them.

However we have more incidents of collisions involving Kudu (large 300 to 400 lb antelope), and more often than not in such cases they get struck at cab height or higher. This is because they see only the lights, not the rest of the vehicle and they jump over the lights. For this reason I always have the interior light on when travelling at night in kudu country. If they see the interior light they jump higher and clear the vehicle completely, and can they jump! I've on a number of occasions seen them clear a 6' game fence with ease, even from a standing jump, no run-up.

Kudu - idea of relative size.

Kudu g.jpg

These are not my pics, but posted just for interest sake. (The driver of the vehicle ducked instinctively and was miraculously able to avoid serious injury - these incidents are often fatal for vehicle occupants.)

Kudu 1.jpg
    kudu2.jpg
    kudu 3.JPG
    kudu 4.JPG
    Fred likes this.
    Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
    It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
    And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

These guys can jump despite their size ....

kudujumping.jpg
    kudujumping2.jpg
    kudujumping3.jpg
    koedoe.JPG
    Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
    It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
    And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Glad the buck stayed in his lane Paul. I had something similar on my way home too around 11pm outside Nowhere Nevada when three elk crossed in front of me. First time ever I used the ABS brakes to their fullest and they saved me. A lot of gear flew to the front of the van but I avoided having grilled elk. A few late night jackrabbits were not so lucky.
    I also saw three groups of pronghorn antelope whose photos I'll post along with desert bighorn sheep who popped in front of TW along the Colorado River. Photos need downloading from still camera after I first finish with videos.
    ZDR1 and plumbstraight like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Frankly Paul, I can't believe you got up and out of camp, and on the road, let alone maneuver the vast desert roads...as early as you did. I headed for the Head at 3am, looked over and "Damn Z has Left the Campground, the last time I saw him he had a 16 oz in each hand"
    Last edited by Hoot Gibson; 03-30-2015 at 01:37 PM.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Yeah, I was in bed, but I heard all about "Two Pint Z" the next morning. Probably wasn't your best life choice, but I'm very glad you made it home safe. Remember the pilot's rule next time. Eight hours must elapse since last consumption.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Free advice from a lawyer^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tom
    Hoot Gibson and TWilight like this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Hey, Z, you never did tell me what I owed you for that fender. Send me a PM and I'll get you the money. I really appreciated you toting that along for me.
    TWilight likes this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Moab 2015 First Report 120.JPG

Last Call at the KK2RM Cabin #K18 ....Friday Afternoon March 27, 2015.....ZDiver, Borneo, Weasel, Montezuma Nick, and Hoot.....getting in a last round of Burgers and Brew before Heading to our respective Homes:
    Dryden-Tdub, TWilight, Mel and 2 others like this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links