Cell Phone.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Cell Phone.

Smile Cell Phone.

If you have not looked at your cell phone account lately as me, I was paying $109 a month for the unlimited classic plan for one phone T-Mobile my two year contract was up in November and the monthly fee did not drop so today I went to Costco and upgraded my S-3 to a S-5 for free and a $25. gift card and free accessories for the phone and my new plan is $50. a month.
    TWilight, Borneo, Xracer and 3 others like this.

Does the carrier you use make any difference? I ask because up here it seems like Verizon is the most prevalent provider and also the most expensive. AT&T also has a presence but those with AT&T phones don't get any better signal than those on Verizon, Sprint or T Mobile.

Those who know how this cell stuff works might have some info for the rest of us. I am under the impression that all these different carriers share the same Cell towers so it should not matter which one you go with. I have an AT&T tower 3 miles from my home and get zero cell signal on my Verizon phone. Friends who have AT&T phones come to my house and get zero signal too. If we both get in my truck and go to where we can get a signal it is just about the same for both of our phones. What gives with cell towers and the various phone brands where signals are concerned?

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Just about every carrier publishes a coverage map that you can use to determine, to some degree, if there is good service in your intended area. For instance I don't like contract phones and use Virgin Mobile.

Check Nationwide Prepaid Voice, Data & 4G LTE Coverage | Virgin Mobile

For instance Weasel had coverage pretty much all the way to Moab whereas I pretty much didn't have service for the entire state of Kansas and the front range until we got close to Denver. I did however have coverage in Moab. No question Verizon has superior coverage, but on the otherhand, for places I generally use my phone Virgin works well. Like I said, I hate contracts and I get unlimited everything for $45 a month. I think I paid around a hundred bucks several years ago for the antique smart phone I use.

I burn a lot of airtime since I frequently listen to Pandora Radio (classic rock) routed through the stereo in my truck as I drive. Sometimes hours at a time.
    Last edited by Borneo; 04-05-2015 at 07:23 AM.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I am with you on the dislike for contracts. I don't have one now as it has long since been over and our phones are perfectly fine for our needs, I Phone 5 and I think dedicated to the Verizon network.

This is where things get cloudy for me. Because we both have Verizon phones do we have to get new phones if we switch to say Virgin or T Mobile? I see the term Locked and UnLocked all the time with cell phone devices and don't honestly know what that means.

The Virgin map shows exactly what the Verizon map shows, Enhanced LTE service here at my house which is complete BS but up at the top of the mountain I might have some signal, same as I get on the Verizon or AT&T devices. We don't want or need new phones but if we talk to the people at Verizon they don't give me the straight scoop on any of this stuff. They sold me a complete signal boost system for my home when we first signed up which they guaranteed would give us good signal. It did not and they sent a tech out to see what was wrong. He laughed when he got here and told it like it is, there has to be some signal for a booster to be able to boost it. With zero cell signal a booster just boosts zero, three times zero is still zero. They took the booster back with great reluctance.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

A Verizon phone only works on a Verizon network only in North America.

Mark F.
    Mark Flanagan
    aka OILHED
    2014 Yamaha TW200 &
    2001 BMW R1150GS

Switched in February from ATT, after 13 years, along with my wife, she went with Republic{no contract} and 3G at $25 a month, I went with Straight Talk and 3Gs at $45 a month....again no contract, using Verizon Towers....I will probably switch to a large face phone, but otherwise I am happy with it so far....
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

If you have good internet with wireless you can get an effective cellular extension with Verizon. Many of my customers
    live in zones with no coverage due to mountains but do have wireless internet. You have to plunk down like $500 for the
    "black box" (extender?) but suddenly you'll have a full signal on your phone as long as your within range of your wireless.
    I've also found that if you can get wireless signal, you can text even when you can't get a signal though someone told me that this is only with
    i phone. On a related note, my BMW came with Sirius satellite radio. Talk about cool. Never poor reception, no commercials and you can select genres.
    Hidden Content
    Tonto
    on the "Left Coast"
    2015 BMW F700GS
    2005 Yamaha V Star 1100
    2018 Suzuki Van Van
    More Wagging and less Barking
    Make Love not War

We use our IPhones for texting back and forth all the time via WiFi. It only works reliably Iphone to Iphone though. We can't make or receive calls but we can text.

GaryL

T-Mobile no longer has contracts . Gary have you tried one of these New LCD GSM 900MHz Cell Phone Signal Repeater Booster Amplifier + Antenna Kit - USD $ 51.99

Quote Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
    T-Mobile no longer has contracts . Gary have you tried one of these New LCD GSM 900MHz Cell Phone Signal Repeater Booster Amplifier + Antenna Kit - USD $ 51.99
    That is very similar to the booster Verizon sold me that won't work here unless I have at least 1 bar of available signal. You simply must have some signal for a booster to boost.

GaryL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links