What is your temperture limits your willing to ride in?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: What is your temperture limits your willing to ride in?

What is your temperture limits your willing to ride in?

One of the main concerns leading up to the MOAB trip the last week of March was the weather. The past couple of days Utah been a lot colder. Moab got down to low 20's at night and only 52 in the day. Compared to our 30's to 70's temps we enjoyed during the get together. Next week cold rain is supposed to cover southern Utah.

My question is to members- With the gear/bike you ride

What is the minimum temperture you enjoy riding in?

I used to say 20's degrees with electric vest, or 40's with no electric vest, 50 degrees under wet conditions. Now I would add 20 degrees to all those tempertures.

Coldest ride you had no choice but to finish?

Mine was Highway 40 heading east out of New Mexico to Texas temp outside was 18 degrees. Problem was 35pmh side winds out of the North hitting left side. Windshield couldn't block. Blocks of ice on highway. I've ridden in colder and snowy conditions but that ride was dangerously cold. Dec 2009/riding BMW RT Purpose: temporary job in Florida and I wanted RTwith me instead of gas guzzler SUV

Most miserable Heat? A ride you had to finish?

Mine was traveling west bound in Penn, State summer 1992,,,,, about 100 degrees high humidity, heading to Kings Island north of Cincinati Ohio. Great trip but unbearable heat in helmet. Battery overheated too. Suzuki Kattana 1100

Here in Sacramento it gets down to around freezing in the winter and up above 100 in the summer and I ride all year around. You know it's hot when the soles of your shoes start to stick to the pavement while waiting at traffic lights.
    BillPacific likes this.

Anything below 45 and above 100 is out{for the most part, although I did ride in 30 degree snow back in February to get the front tire changed}....in my young age I rode the Kawasaki 250 and Yamaha 650 all year....including some brutal winters....but no more, the older you get the less you are willing to put your ass out on the line
    Last edited by Hoot Gibson; 04-04-2015 at 06:13 AM.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by immgunn View Post
    Here in Sacramento it gets down to around freezing in the winter and up above 100 in the summer and I ride all year around. You know it's hot when the soles of your shoes start to stick to the pavement while waiting at traffic lights.
    Love the Avatar...
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

I did 429 miles in 17*F one day a couple of years ago. But, the worst was as a teenager getting back to my grandparents on a Sunday for school the next day. I rode 30 miles into the wind at 60 mph. The wind chill without my 60 mph was 60 below zero. I froze the skin on the fronts of my legs. That was a cold ride. My TW will start second kick at -23*. I try not to ride when it is below 26* now days.
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

I tend to stick to above 30. My grip heaters and a simple rain jacket to cut the wind do wonders. I figure I'm still a young buck so I'll take advantage of it while I can.
    BillPacific likes this.

If I'm there, I'll ride Bill. Temp be dambed.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

I find it hard to ride if it is less than 50 out. I have raynauds so bad my fingers turn white with the least bit of cold. Even at Moab I ran with gauntlets on my TW.
    BillPacific likes this.

Well, for me, I only ride for enjoyment. That being said, I don't ride below 45ish or above 95ish if humid, which the east coast is very humid. My bad heart can't take it. I was warned by my cardiologist to watch the heat. Now, how the heck can you watch heat? I guess I'll try it while listening to the TV and watching the radio. I don't know.......
    BillPacific likes this.
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I feel like Borneo. If I can ride, I will. Even more so in my later years. I don't want to miss out on a day I can ride. I've been in -45 to -50 a couple times only for fun and only for a couple miles in tennis shoes, t-shirt and hoodie, gloves and a half helmet. The coldest I have felt was once down in Mel's country when the carbs kept freezing over, killing the bike and once going over the Grapevine when it un-expectantly had a snow storm on top. I had to go 15-25 mph in the freezing rain and snow with tractor trailers blasting by. My feet and hands were freezing to the pegs and grips. If it's 90 or more, I'd rather be sitting in the porch swing outside or in the AC inside. In the heat of the summer, I sometimes get up and go for my rides in the middle of the night.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links