Aerostich Darien Jacket and Pants.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Aerostich Darien Jacket and Pants.

Aerostich Darien Jacket and Pants.

Ok, I know how we are here, and I'm possibly the biggest offender of the lot, but I'm looking for honest input from people who actually own or have owned this set of gear. I know there's a ton of other options out there, heck I own a bunch of it, but honestly, I'm really not looking for "well, if it was me I'd buy the mondo hyperflate 6000 subsonic jacket and the matching crotch twister pants."

I've wanted a set of these ever since I can remember. I was just never willing to plunk down the change (I did buy a BMW City Suit one time though, which was a financially painful experience but fit right over the lawyer clothes...which made it a deductible expense, right?) for the set. But, now I'm having those pangs again. I've always kept them at bay, but part of that was because I never really met anyone who owned the outfit nor have I ever seen a set except at a distance.

So, if you either have, or have had a Darien Jacket and Pants, please tell me if you think they are worth the coinage.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

I have both, Darien jacket and Darien lite pants. I love them and never ride without them. ATGATT. Only prob after about 5 years some of the velcro tabs that hold the pads in place fell off. Aerostich will repair but I have not taken advantage of this yet.FB_IMG_1428363156127.jpg

The gold badge is a Secretary of Defense badge, same as Peter Fonda's in Easy Rider.
    Last edited by jgaff; 04-06-2015 at 06:36 PM.
    Borneo likes this.
    2010, Happy Trails rack & side boxes, Ricochet skid plate, Clarke tank, Stearns seat cover, rejetted, Shinko 244 front tire.

New England Denizens of Doom # TW200

Try to understand things. Be nice to each other.

I have AD1 pants and Darien jacket which is well used, jacket is now faded and the one piece road crafter. Along the way i have tried everything out there and in my option nothing else measure up. Yes it can be painful on the wallet but look at what you have spent so far trying to get the right gear. The only draw back....it takes a while for the suits to "breakin". Good luck with your choice.
    Borneo likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yup, I've got 2 Darien Jackets and one of the old style pants. I've had others through out the years, and like them.
    One of the jackets I own now, is the Falstaff style (waxed cotton version) which I prefer the most, but basically I like them both of them.
    I really like both the pants and jacket, and have been using them since they first came out. Biggest drawback is the crotch leakage. And the rough collar that will wear the skin off of your neck. I tend to use my Klime jacket now, more and more, but I still use the Darien pants because they are
    easier to use then the Klime pants, which are not full zip, and made to not be worn over jeans.
    A young friend I recently got into riding found a heck of a score recently on ebay. He knew what size he needed from wearing mine, then
    just waited for a good deal to come around, and it did. New condition and he saved a bunch of $$.
    The Riderwearhouse gear isn't the most high tech gear, but it's solidly built, and has a fantastic customer service if you ever need repairs done.
    The new style ADV pants are supposed to be even better then the old style I like so much, so looking to get a pair of those someday.
    All in all I recommend them, they've been around for a long time and are definitely tried and true.
    Just my .02
    RicklesssS in Oregon
    Borneo likes this.

I have a Darien Lite Jacket (black) that I have removed the pads to wear over my Spidi vented jacket for rain and cold / windblock layer. I wore out the matching pants and sold them. 16 yrs old

I have a Darien (blue) Jacket that I wear mostly on day rides when I leave the house in the rain. I wear the matching Dariens Pants most of the time

I just bought a new pair of AD1's last Fall and they are a great improvement over the Dariens. I wear them on the GS only

Aerostitch is good stuff and money well spent. I have 2 newer jackets that are not Stitch, but I will always wear their pants.
    Borneo likes this.
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

I have a Roadcrafter jacket and Darien pants. I've had the jacket since 2001 and wear it almost all the time. It still looks new if only a little faded.

The pants were new last year. I like them but wish they went on over my jeans a little easier. The problem is more my waist than the pants.

Thinking of replacing the jacket with a Darien. Maybe light.
    Borneo likes this.
    Mark Flanagan
    aka OILHED
    2014 Yamaha TW200 &
    2001 BMW R1150GS

I shopped and tried almost everything in ATTGATT when I purchased my BMW in 12 The Aerostich line has
    amazing post consumer loyalty and is a great product. Out here in the West though most riding is done in
    warm weather so mesh gear made more sense. The best product is the Kevlar mesh from Motoport though
    if "style" is an issue that could be a problem. I ended up with BMW mesh gear (they gave me a deal) and it
    is excellant in quality. If you don't wear your gear 'cause it's too hot then it's useless. Mesh gear combined with liners
    becomes all weather gear.
    Hidden Content
    Tonto
    on the "Left Coast"
    2015 BMW F700GS
    2005 Yamaha V Star 1100
    2018 Suzuki Van Van
    More Wagging and less Barking
    Make Love not War

Well, Doc, there was nothing wrong with the gear I had in Moab. I believe what you saw me wearing was Klim Mojave pants, a leather jacket with a zip out liner, Gaerne Oiled boots and some sort of MX jersey. And before I go a sentence further, I'm going to admit I had a full Wild Things Mule duffel (144 liters) full of additional gear, probably 6 more pairs of riding pants and at least six other jackets. I don't really want to admit this, but if I don't I will get hammered with it by either Hoot, Nick or Weasel since the moving of my jacket pile was a nightly activity before we could all get to our respective bunks.

But, all the pants were "in the boot" style off road pants, and none are waterproof. Only one of the jackets was textile and it's waterproofing, while functional is by means of a non-breathable removable liner. It's dry but hot as heck when in.

Nor am I really thinking I need anything new to ride up the James Bay road. But, the concept of breathable gear which fits over everything shell fashion and is waterproof is very attractive to me. And I've always heard good things about the Darien gear, I've just never heard it from real people I trust.

I've mentioned before I might just one day up and blast towards Alaska, and if I do, I'd like to have a waterproof shell setup made to handle everything available to me. Hence my interest in the Darien jacket and pants.

The Borneo is, and always has been one of those plan ahead guys.
    Last edited by Borneo; 04-07-2015 at 10:43 AM.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Doc, one of these days I'm going to have to send you a picture of the interior of the warehouse so you can truly appreciate how many pairs of technical under gear I own. Patagonia, Mountain Hardwear, and just about every other brand under the sun. I've even have stuff interwoven with silver threads to apparently keep you from stinking on mountains after weeks of wear (they don't work). So, the last damb thing I am going to do is buy more underclothing.

I also have a metric butt-load of goretex pants, bibs and Jackets, but none are armored. So, the Darien jacket and pants might, just might, be an acceptable purchase given the massive amount of gear I have packed away over the years.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

And you really shouldn't spray that Camp dry crap on anything. Especially Gore-tex.

Proper tools for the job. Products

https://www.mcnett.com/gearaid/seam-grip#10510
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links