JD
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: JD

JD

Been catching up one my place. Mowing, piling brush and all with my John Deere. Went over to my aunts to knock down some blackberries and hit a pile of wood that was thrown out there. Wiped out the pto system in the tranny. Will tear into that tomorrow. Would rather be making dust with the TW.
    TWilight likes this.

Sorry tohea about the down time.
    plumbstraight likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Looked through the mechanics manual. At worst a couple of gears, the least a coupling or two. Primary gear is part of a shaft. I know who will get the shaft when I order. At least it is something I can fix.
    littletommy and TWilight like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Which model JD do you have? Asking because my brother takes delivery today of his new JD 750 something 4X4 tractor with all the gadgets that run off PTO.

I would have thought if you hit something like a piece of wood there might be a shear pin that would snap instead of the PTO gears. On my new Kubota the first time I used the snow blower this winter I sucked up a branch laying under the snow and never knew it until all of a sudden I was plowing snow and not blowing any. The auger has shear pins and both had sheared. Not sure if the mower deck has any such safety shear pins that might save the PTO but will be putting the new deck on in the next few weeks here if spring ever arrives. With my yard that is surrounded by large pine trees I always have some heavy roots that expose themselves after the frost gets out so I have to be very careful not to catch them. I sure would hope if I do hit something that the belt on the mower deck snaps before taking out the PTO gears.

Thanks for posting this and I will let my brother know to be cautious.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I feel your pain. Have to put new bearings in the mower deck of my 110 after the wife hit a large root.

In all fairness to the JD, it has been through some of the toughest mowing. I have mowed the pipeline right of way from Canada to California. Basically if the tractor can push it over it gets mowed. The mower has a slipclutch instead of shear pins. I had just finished mowing an airport that was covered with scotchbloom. That is some tough stuff when it gets the size of your arm. I hadn't used the mower in a while and I think the clutches had sealed themselves to the metal. I will loosen them after fixing the tractor and spin them a bit then retighten a bit so it will work properly. Like most things I use when working they go through hell and back so a few things like this is expected. This is the first time though I have ever broken an internal part to a tractor.

Will have it apart today and order parts. Will take a pic or two.

It is a 5300 4x4 with loader
    Last edited by plumbstraight; 04-09-2015 at 10:03 AM.
    TWilight likes this.

Brother got his 738 today. Just an oversized lawn tractor with 4X4 and all the attachments for these parts. Looks to be a substantial upgrade from his 530 2 wheel drive that was always getting stuck in snow even with chains and weights. Will have to do a tug of war between his and my diesel Kubota that is about the same size. Ours are what would be considered sub compact but still pretty nice machines for mowing and blowing.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Ok folks, took the backend out of the tractor. Like I was thinking, primary shaft out, secondary gear out. one bearing out. cost somewhat over a grand. could have bought a Tw for the price of two gears and a bearing if I had it done in a shop.

will have it back together next week. This gives me inspiration to get rid of two tractors, two dozers, an excavator, a dump truck and all the support equipment that goes with them and just play with the TW. Broken chain? no problem, need a light no problem, need some racks, foot pegs, front rack, big gastank, tires big deal! One tractor gear takes care of them all lol. Oh well, while I am sitting here thinking about it will get it fixed and join some folks at capitol forest and have a ball in a few weeks.

Be glad we own TWls and love to get together with like minded people enjoying the out of doors. Will bring the campfire wood for the next one.
    Dryden-Tdub and littletommy like this.

A buddy owns an Excavating company and has lots of heavy machinery. I hear people always saying he is too expensive, prices like $600 per day on some machines. After seeing the stuff he goes through in keeping some of these machines running and maintained I have to disagree. Gears, shafts, hydraulic pistons and all sorts of other parts that break or blow out cost him a small fortune every time and some of his machines have an initial cost well north off $100,000. I spend enough on my own equipment just taking care of my little 3 acre patch. I agree Plumb, if you are not working all those machines for pay then getting them down the road will certainly lighten the load. I would love to have a decent back ho but I really don't have anyone needing a burial at this point!

GaryL

As those who have a small tractor know, it is a tool that really takes a lot of backwork out of your life. I have been on the seat of one since I was about 8. After I got married and bought my first one my wife asked now what do you need a tractor for? didn't take long and she had two kids in the loader and one in her lap going out doing gardens with the tiller. Hell, she even got tips lol. Was good fun for her and enjoyed a bit of cash.

She was complaining about the size of my JD so I went down and picked one out for her. Has 4wheel, loader, mower and the winch system I made for it. Is my avatar. She does enjoy using it for her plantings and spreading bark around the place. Like riding her bike, she has tipped it over once lol. Good thing to have a loader frame to keep it from going all the way over. A lesson learned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links