My first video upload!!!
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: My first video upload!!!

My first video upload!!!

Fred, Admiral, Tiny wheel. This is not to be judged on its editing or composition just an example of some video I shot using my new Kodak action camera. The first section riding in the field behind my house was without the "wind filter" enabled. The rest of the video has the filter on. So after watching it what do you think of the potential of this camera? It is shot in 720p at 60 FPS.

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

How do you like top mount set up for your camera? I like mine side mounted to give a sort of perspective to videos. Like you see my exact line of sight and more of the bike. I'm working on an edit now where it takes a few whacks being there so I don't know if its a good or bad thing. Either way, not really pertaining to the post but just wondering.

As for the camera does it have a physical wind sock option? I run a Contour Roam2 and since I bought it Contour went under and the accessory market has pretty much dried up and a wind sock is not available. I mean I'm sure there's a way to rig something up but I haven't got around to it yet. To me the wind filter seams to work, somewhat. At least at speed. But overall seams like a great camera. Probably a good alternative to the box ol go pros. Being from the Rochester area its nice to see Kodak still makes something worth while. Although I doubt it was made here in the US but either way. If you come across a universal wind sock or a good home made remedy I'd love to see it as I'm fighting the same battle.

I haven't ridden since Friday thanks for bringing me along.
    "SickPuppy76"
    Greg from Glenville

2014 TW200 rear Cyclerack with bag supports and Versapack saddlebags, upgraded foot pegs, Mad Dog seat cover
    2014 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD
    2005 Buick Rainier AWD
    2001 Bass Tracker Pro Team 185XT
    Old Town Trip10 Angler Kayak

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BRug14468 View Post
    How do you like top mount set up for your camera? I like mine side mounted to give a sort of perspective to videos. Like you see my exact line of sight and more of the bike. I'm working on an edit now where it takes a few whacks being there so I don't know if its a good or bad thing. Either way, not really pertaining to the post but just wondering.

As for the camera does it have a physical wind sock option? I run a Contour Roam2 and since I bought it Contour went under and the accessory market has pretty much dried up and a wind sock is not available. I mean I'm sure there's a way to rig something up but I haven't got around to it yet. To me the wind filter seams to work, somewhat. At least at speed. But overall seams like a great camera. Probably a good alternative to the box ol go pros. Being from the Rochester area its nice to see Kodak still makes something worth while. Although I doubt it was made here in the US but either way. If you come across a universal wind sock or a good home made remedy I'd love to see it as I'm fighting the same battle.
    I am so new to it I haven't really formed an opinion on the best place to mount it. I would love to have it mounted very low and on the side of my helmet but haven't come up with a way to do it securely without drilling holes in my brain bucket. A really good chest mount would be perfect but I have not researched them enough yet. All of the wind reduction was done via the built in software while recording and I thought it performed exceptionally well. Really it was my only reason for including riding around the field. There is a LOT to like about this camera! Under $200 with free shipping on Amazon and it is waterproof, and dust proof without any cases or covers required. Built in lcd display and built in WiFi so you can control the camera with your cell phone or tablet. As far as a homemade windsock I always recommend a small piece of foam over the speaker being held in place with a piece of medical tape. No wind will get through.

Tom
    Fred likes this.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Good start Tom, agree with all your observations r.e. noise and location. Video quality is really very good, and 60 frames per second keeps grassy knoll grass blades clear. A chest mount might avoid a lot of wind noise and add better perspective. Hard to be a safe rider and good cameraman with a slow moving head at the same time.
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Since the PixPro is a little heavy with it's built-in waterproofing and LCD display is might be a bit much perched up high atop the helmet. With the standard 1/4-20 camera thread base you should be able to find third party mounts. I was even considering making my own chest mount by affixing an old REI unipod mini camera tripod to a chest protetor or an old helmet's jaw piece as a testbed.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Good start Tom, agree with all your observations r.e. noise and location. Video quality is really very good, and 60 frames per second keeps grassy knoll grass blades clear. A chest mount might avoid a lot of wind noise and add better perspective. Hard to be a safe rider and good cameraman with a slow moving head at the same time.
    I never would have thought about the whole "head turn" thing until I started reviewing some of my clips! A safe road rider would have very little watchable video at the end of the day. My favorite feature is the ability to start new clips at programmed intervals. It is easy to import only the clips that have something interesting in them and scrap the boring parts. I will hone my skills over the summer and try to post only decent videos. I could have never guessed just how freaking long it takes to upload videos to YouTube! Is there a better video hosting site???

On a side note how is Betty's rehabilitation coming? I would rather watch your videos than edit and upload my own

Tom

Uploading takes forever over AT&T Uverse to Youtube from my country home, about one mile of twisted pair phone lines to nearest switching box so I feel your pain. Thus my 30 fps and 720p settings when I could be shooting 60 fps and 1080p.
    Everything is all lined up for Betty's top end reassembly, just need to budget time to do put things back together. I did install shiny new piston on the con rod last night without dropping any circlips into the lower end. Those Weisco pistons are real pieces of art, all shiny and polished full of oil ports in the skirt...it is a shame to hide it from the light of day inside a cylinder. I spent as much time admiring piston as assuring rings were all in right and orientated.
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Boy Tom, that camera has very good stabilization. I think you're gonna like it. I'm really impressed by the video quality.

Camera placement with wind noise. With my current ION Camera, I like the video a lot, but the sound is way to sensitive. There is no sock and everything I've come up with to help reduce wind noise hasn't worked very well. Here is a little of my success and failure for camera mounting in regards to wind noise. Failure: mounted on top of the helmet and directly on the side (like sticking out your ear) is really bad for noise on mine. Success (sort of), on my 3/4 helmet, I mount the camera under the visor, an idea I got from Fred with his Contour. This position is the best by far for my camera. I still get some wind noise, but very tolerable for the viewer. On my full face dual-sport helmet, I mount the camera on my right chin area fairly forward. This works just ok, but I like the helmet and can't mount the camera under the visor like I can on the other helmet.

I also can mount the camera on the handle bars, but this is my 3rd choice and more of a necessity because I'm recharging the camera and have the cord plugged in. Works in a pinch.

But my main point is not to tell you what to do other than experiment and come up with something you can live with.

One of my first helmet mounts. A more than dorky Kodak EasyShare POS camera in video mode mounted top/front of the helmet. Hey, we gotta start somewhere right!

This is the mount I like the best for noise reduction. Video is good, but I have to aim higher so the camera can see forward and not directly into the ground. I use this the most. From the side you can't see the camera under the visor. (note: you can still see the camera side mount on the helmet. Only used it there during experimenting)

Chin mount. What I've been using lately and the camera is actually fairly well hidden, which is something I like (personal preference). Video is very good as you can at least see my mirrors with good forward vision. Not as good for sound as wind noise affects it more. Course I do mostly slower trail speeds rather than highway speeds, so this helps some.

I'm really looking forward to watch some video's from you. Good luck.
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Uploading takes forever over AT&T Uverse to Youtube from my country home, about one mile of twisted pair phone lines to nearest switching box so I feel your pain. Thus my 30 fps and 720p settings when I could be shooting 60 fps and 1080p.
    Everything is all lined up for Betty's top end reassembly, just need to budget time to do put things back together. I did install shiny new piston on the con rod last night without dropping any circlips into the lower end. Those Weisco pistons are real pieces of art, all shiny and polished full of oil ports in the skirt...it is a shame to hide it from the light of day inside a cylinder. I spent as much time admiring piston as assuring rings were all in right and orientated.
    You are absolutely correct about the weight of the camera. It is plenty small but built like a tank! I am sure it is 85% metal construction I will reserve the 1080p at 30 fps for my personal videos since I have no desire to wait for them to upload. A picture would preserve the beauty of that piston for all to appreciate. Hint, hint. I will try and hit the woods for some riding this coming weekend but I am on call and the weather is a roll of the dice right now. They are saying we may see snow on Thursday

Tom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links