Two Way Radios with VOX
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Two Way Radios with VOX

Two Way Radios with VOX

I have been considering my FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radios using headset with VOX Mic. Has anyone ever used this configuration while riding motorcycles? I own 4 Motorola Talkabout radios with VOX features but I don't want to buy the headsets unless they work.
    Last edited by TopPredator; 04-21-2015 at 07:22 PM.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Rick, I have a pair of Motorola's too. But mine doesn't have VOX. My earbuds have a PTT mic on them. I guess VOX would work. Good question.
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I've used VOX for several types of radio systems. PTT is way better IMO because usually engine noise, or some other source of outside input keeps the voice actuation "constantly on". And if you're the "other" guy with the other radio this will drive you crazy because your buddy's radio will be perma keyed. I have not found a VOX system yet that allows you to control the gain on the mic in order to silence it. Not saying there isn't such a thing, I just haven't run across one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

-1 for VOX
    +1 for PTT

THANKS.

Im interested to see how this thread evolves.
    Last edited by TopPredator; 04-21-2015 at 08:33 PM.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by TopPredator View Post
    I have been considering my FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radios using headset with VOX Mic. Has anyone ever used this configuration while riding motorcycles? I own 4 Motorola Talkabout radios with VOX features but I don't want to buy the headsets unless they work.
    Did not want to get involved because experiences vary greatly with the VOX feature. My father and I use both Cobra and Motorola two-way radios a lot during hunting season on our 100 acre lease. I have not used my own radio and headset configuration while riding a motorcycle but imagine it would work just fine. Here is the deal though, you have to purchase a decent set of throat mics with the earbud audio tubes. You also have to take time to get the correct VOX settings for your radio/headset combination. They are useful tools even if they don't wind up being ideal for your motorcycle and will make your radios hands free and much more convenient. Hope this helps.

This may very well be a decent option as well.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/midland-...uId=1306693538

Tom
    Last edited by Dryden-Tdub; 04-21-2015 at 09:06 PM.
    TopPredator likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Cool Tom. Hmm, now I gotta see if my Motorola has the double pin jack. This may work ok if it does.... Thanks for posting.
    Bob

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

OK, so mine is a single pin. So I may have to custom wire this thing into my helmet. Rick, If you do yours, I'll do mine, so we can talk while we ride when your up here. Just please, no singing, ok?

Bob

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

OK, Found some stuff here. Find what you want, click pic, then click View Page, and it will take you to it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Moto...0CGkQ7Ak&dpr=1
    Bob

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I think I'll get this one Rick. Mount everything to helmet. Mount radio on back of helmet. No wires to tangle up in.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FE09SQ8..._H1Ynvb1S4C9DJ
    Fred likes this.
    Bob

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Werloc View Post
    I think I'll get this one Rick. Mount everything to helmet. Mount radio on back of helmet. No wires to tangle up in.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FE09SQ8..._H1Ynvb1S4C9DJ
    Looks like they offer these VOX headsets for both Full Face as well as Motorcross helmets. I have a feeling the Full Face setup is going to work better. My bike is loud without the end pipe One of the California members on the forum is suppose to sell me a muffler. I PMed him to see if the muffler is still available.
    Edit:
    I found my VOX headset I haven't used it in years. It's not the type that would work under a helmet but I did play with it this morning. I have the Motorola MR 350 R radios. I googled the user manual and there are three VOX Setting
    USER GUIDE
    http://content.giantintl.com/manuals...PK14190-90.pdf

Turn your radio on with the VOX headset plugged in.

Sensitivity Level When in Mode

Adjusting the radio’s sensitivity level helps minimize the possibility of unintended noises triggering a transmission and helps the radio pick up soft voices.
    3. Press

until VOX and the level setting (1 - 3) appear on the 2. Press or to select the sensitivity level.
    1. Press display.
    to set or
    to continue set up.

3 = High Sensitivity for quiet environments
    2 = Medium Sensitivity for most environments
    1= Low Sensitivity for noisy environments
    Last edited by TopPredator; 04-22-2015 at 03:51 AM.

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links