I didn't know it at the time, but I've already spent my last night in a Motel 6.
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: I didn't know it at the time, but I've already spent my last night in a Motel 6.

I didn't know it at the time, but I've already spent my last night in a Motel 6.

Motel 6 giving police names of guests - News - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin.
    Last edited by Borneo; 04-28-2015 at 04:33 AM.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Mixed feelings on this one Borneo! I kind of like it when thugs, thieves and bad guys get taken off the streets. Crimes against one are crimes against all of us, crime is crime! We have a local No-Tell Motel in the nearby town and close to half of all the criminal activity in the town originates right there. I'd be fine with them just tearing the dump to the ground.

I can agree with the privacy issues involved but have to think on it for a while. My first thought and it might be way wrong, legit individuals have nothing to fear if the police get notified they are staying at Motel 6, Creeps beware!

GaryL
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I suspected many would have mixed feelings Gary. Part of the reason I posted it. But here is the true question. Suppose we can wipe out all crime if we give up all privacy and personal liberty. Worth it?

But I do stand by my caption. I would never do business with an establishment that reported my legitimate activities to the police. For instance, I, possibly more than most know what a huge problem manufacturing meth is, especially (and surprisingly) in rural areas. Some retailers report all purchases of things like Coleman fuel, starting fluid, lithium batteries and the like to the police. I purchase all of those things for legitimate reasons. However, shop at the wrong place and you find yourself on a Meth "watch list." Now what law abiding citizen wants to be on a Meth watch list? Certainly not me. For many reasons, including the most obvious, it offends the heck out of me. So, for me, retailers who inject themselves into the criminal justice system get black listed instantly. Even though I occasionally suffer from hay fever, I no longer buy medicine to alleviate my suffering because those purchases are tracked and recorded. Once again, that offends me mightily.

Just to further the thought, there is little question in my mind that a tremendous amount of criminals could be caught by monitoring all cell phone calls, text messages and emails across the board. And no doubt the technology exists to monitor them all and sort for specific terms and language. But I don't like it at all. I don't want my calls, texts and emails monitored even if it does mean more bad guys get caught. Price of liberty.

And I would suggest that this type of thinking:
    legit individuals have nothing to fear if the police get notified they are staying at Motel 6
    could easily be translated into the thought that legitimate individuals should have nothing to fear if the police want to search their home without a warrant. After all, if you don't have anything illegal...why would you object?

It's not any one thing, it is the all pervasive and ongoing erosion of our rights and liberties that should be the concern. And if ignored too long it becomes too late to turn back the clock so to speak.
    Last edited by Borneo; 04-28-2015 at 05:51 AM.
    Mel, SanDue, TWilight and 8 others like this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

YUP! This is a can of worms any way we look at it. Lately and more often than not, I find myself rethinking many of the beliefs I have had all my life. I don't know if there is a right way to think about this stuff which is probably why I like staying right here where I am and away from all the populated urban areas. The simple act of running in to town for needed supplies causes me some degree of strife as I never know what I might run in to.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Most people who live in the great state of Indiana for instance don't realize that the police can randomly scroll through their medical information and prescriptions. PLA: The Prescription Monitoring Program Nor is Indiana alone in this, as a great many states have similar databases. I would venture to say that the majority of Hoosiers believe such information is private and would be shocked to find out it isn't.
    TWilight likes this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

We lost our privacy on 911. Being a law abiding citizen is the only way to stay out of the. "LimeLight". Metadata watches all even our Forum. Every aspect of our lives is known. Owning a smart phone is probably the scariest device I own. I don't believe for a moment that the Mic, Camera and GPS can't be accessed for survalence. Just saying.
    http://www.homelandsecuritynewswire....adata-is-legal
    GaryL and TWilight like this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

If you can't change your hand, at least make sure you learn the cards you are holding.
    TopPredator, TWilight and troll like this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TopPredator View Post
    We lost our privacy on 911. Being a law abiding citizen is the only way to stay out of the. "LimeLight". Metadata watches all even our Forum. Every aspect of our lives is known. Owning a smart phone is probably the scariest device I own. I don't believe for a moment that the Mic, Camera and GPS can't be accessed for survalence. Just saying.
    http://www.homelandsecuritynewswire....adata-is-legal
    As much as we all feel like we would like to fly under the radar, it is nearly impossible today. Even more so than 9/11 I believe it is the advent of this WWW that has taken from us our privacy.

Sometimes I think I am being overly paranoid but the fact is, some entity out here can read what I post here, knows what pills my doctor prescribes, knows that I am a veteran, retired LEO and gun owner and that I use a computer and have a smart phone. There simply is no privacy and to deny that is at your own peril. What we want and what we have are two completely different realities.

GaryL
    TWilight likes this.

Mel
    Borneo,
    I couldn't agree with you more, regarding the release of information on individuals. I think we have way too much government in our lives, and they have taken, not been given too much power to get into our lives. If I have an injustice against myself, I will make the consideration of taking care of it myself, or involve the law. Should be my option.
    Mel
    TWilight, Borneo, Fred and 1 others like this.

It's only Gonna Get Worse, under "The Kenyan"{screw those who call me racist for outing the a-hole} and if Hillzilla{God Forbid} is next in line....

Hoot, "Back from another successful Vietnam Reunion" Gibson...Mini Reunion Cropped.jpg
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links