WIND GIZMOWS or SMILE GENERATORS
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: WIND GIZMOWS or SMILE GENERATORS

WIND GIZMOWS or SMILE GENERATORS

Seems I have always enjoyed making things and modding my bike. I don't seem to ride much anymore and the bike has been modded enough as to merit more than a chuckle or two. It was time to move on.

The Wind Gizmow project started a few years ago while I was still working. I serviced Dental equipment and ended up kind of specializing in the rebuilding of high speed electric handpieces. These units were expensive and gear driven. From the high torque motor right to the cutting bur was a continuous mechanical connection. The gears and shafts were not very forgiving should the Dentist inadvertently allow the cutting bur to make contact with one of the cotton rolls in the patients mouth. Instantly a gear would strip or the fluted shaft end would break. However the bearings and carrier assembly were fine and certainly appeared to be something I could put to good use.

Peruano, one of our forum brothers got the last Wind Gizmow that used the very expensive Swiss bearing assembly. Last fall, I purchased a benchtop milling machine and also a small lathe. Nice pieces of equipment but they required that I develop a whole new skill set and way of thinking. I could no longer think of 1/32" as close enough. Moving a dial over to the next mark meant one, one-thousandth of something was no longer there. This could be a good thing, or as well, very bad. Fun none the less.

I would enjoy making these to sell. Not as a "business" but to stay busy and earn some gas money. Likely it is hard to imagine, but these little things take about 20 hours to put together. Another 14 hours to run in the bearings. When done, I expect the tail section to rotate on the vertical pivot at least 110 degrees by simply exhaling against it through pursed lips. The prop is expected to turn while holding the unit and walking slowly, no wind. This is generally observed when carrying the Wind Gizmow from the shop to the house.

For other forum members, selling 'home made' products can be a bitter/sweet experience. I would really like to minimize this. I don't really want to make more than one a week and they will not be made in hopes of being sold. They will be made per request after a non-refundable deposit. If you commit to your intention, I will commit my time and materials. The price will be $70 plus shipping. I think Priority Mail will likely float between $6. and $15. It takes me about 30 minutes to package securely. No warranties, guarantees or money back. I won't waste your time, because that means I am wasting mine.

The material is copper and sometimes brass and many of the components are soldered together (lead) . Bearings are sealed and don't require maintenance. The props are plastic. Precision molded and balanced for use on remote controlled aircraft. Wish I could make the props, but the time and price would be beyond reasonable.

These things are really pretty neat. Indeed, they will put a smile on your face. Should you have any questions or think this is something you would like to have, don't post here. Please P.M. me. Take care. Gerry

http://s267.photobucket.com/user/mrgizmow/slideshow/WIND%20GIZMOWS

Last edited by Gerry; 04-29-2015 at 01:46 AM.
    jbfla, plumbstraight, Mel and 3 others like this.
    Take care my Friend.........

Hi Gerry,

I've always admired your ingenuity.

So that's 34 hours of labor, plus materials, plus profit...... hmmmmmm... about $1000+?

EDIT: I didn't intend to scare off any of Mr. Gizmow's potential customers by my tongue-in-cheek suggested price.

The actual price is more than reasonable. PM Mr. Gizmow for the details.

jb
    Last edited by jbfla; 04-29-2015 at 10:24 AM.
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Yea, this stuff is like an iceberg. You never get the whole picture until it is to late. To the 34 hours guess I could still ad trips to the post office, ordering materials, writing instruction sheets, making jigs and fixtures. As well, at some point I will need to clean the shop. Guess that's what retirement is all about. The valve adjusting tools are much simpler. Gerry

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    So how do we order and leave a deposit?

ok, here is the project. As you are talking wind and generators, make a small generator that works off wind with the small cups and mount it on the exhaust so that the air off the exhaust charges that extra battery for all the stuff folks hang off the handlebars. Besides putting the same battery, as it is small, in a case on the back of the TW to run all the extras.

Just remember, you heard it here.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

Here's Mr. Gizmow's Wind Gizmow in use in the mountains of NC:

(The propeller was spinning. The camera stopped the motion.)

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Here's mine in Philo / Boonville California!
    P1010001.JPG
    Thank you again Gerry, gets a smile every time! m.
    TWilight and jbfla like this.

Thanks guys. Making others smile, makes me smile as well. Thanks. Gerry

Here is one of Gerry's Four Bladed "Turbo" Wind Gizmow's

100_5477.JPG

Very cool, thanks Gerry!

Gerry: Would you like a prop balancer? I have one for RC props gathering dust I would love to give you. Your Wind Gizmos look pretty cutting edge.
    TWilight likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links