Tacoma Power Steering Problem
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Tacoma Power Steering Problem

Tacoma Power Steering Problem

I own a 2008 Toyota Tacoma. The Power Steering has progressly gotten worse to the point where it is hard to turn. I have been searching the Internet for troubleshooting tips. I'm going to change the fluid tomorrow as a first step. The belt is good and I have no leaks. I'm able to change the pump but if it need a Rack I think I'll have a mechanic handle it. I have had a slight shimmy while driving. Does anyone out there know anything about troubleshooting power steering problems?

Rick
    If I知 ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

A fluid change/flush is a good idea. Collect and inspect old fluid for clues like burnt smell or debris. Good luck. I assume you searched TacomaWorld Forum or similar.
    TopPredator and williamemack like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. 溺r.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I値d Rather Be Motorcycling

TopPredator likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I did look around on Tacoma World but I didn't see the link you posted. Thanks
    It would be nice if it was just a clogged screen.
    ZDR1 likes this.
    If I知 ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

I was also gunna say Tacoma World Forums, but you beat me to it. I get help there all the time when I need it. I'm in the 1st Gen section with my 03. Rick, if you can't find your answer, start a thread asking. That place is like here with technical help. So, they're not family like we are, but help is help. If your a DIY'er, than that's what ya gotta do, or take to a shop. No harm in asking here, but there's a lot more Taco owner's there, that most likely had the same problem. One of my riding buddies had to replace his steering rack, but on his older 01. Don't know if it's the same of not. He found a good price on one through that forum, but had a shop install it, due to alinement and all. If your not a member, then join, and start asking questions. Most are decent peeps there.
    Last edited by Werloc; 05-09-2015 at 06:40 AM.
    williamemack likes this.
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Search hard as the internet is a great source but I have had to change a fair amount of those
    racks. Toyota quality not being what it used to be (taking lessons from American manufacturers ). Also
    racks are just not as strong as steering boxes esp when subjected to uneven roads or worn parts.
    Your shimmy is probably a tie rod end, often an inner on pass side.
    On the plus side the rack is simple to change, rent a tie rod puller (not a pickle fork) and change out all tie rod ends at same time.
    I also will change out power steering pump to ensure "no comebacks" Check those hoses too. Be sure and get "lifetime warranty" parts.
    You'll have to get an alignment when all done. Bill usually ends up around $800 when I do it for folks. Don't be intimidated by the job.
    Fred, TopPredator, Peterb and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content
    Tonto
    on the "Left Coast"
    2015 BMW F700GS
    2005 Yamaha V Star 1100
    2018 Suzuki Van Van
    More Wagging and less Barking
    Make Love not War

P
    Quote Originally Posted by arbolmano View Post
    Search hard as the internet is a great source but I have had to change a fair amount of those
    racks. Toyota quality not being what it used to be (taking lessons from American manufacturers ). Also
    racks are just not as strong as steering boxes esp when subjected to uneven roads or worn parts.
    Your shimmy is probably a tie rod end, often an inner on pass side.
    On the plus side the rack is simple to change, rent a tie rod puller (not a pickle fork) and change out all tie rod ends at same time.
    I also will change out power steering pump to ensure "no comebacks" Check those hoses too. Be sure and get "lifetime warranty" parts.
    You'll have to get an alignment when all done. Bill usually ends up around $800 when I do it for folks. Don't be intimidated by the job.
    Thank you. This is just the information I was looking for and a confidence builder as well. Do I need to buy OEM parts, or can you recommend a aftermarket or remanufacturing company who does the best job remanufacturing with a lifetime warranty. One other question I have is there any way to determine what's bad between the pump or rack? I'm hoping a fluid change fixes it but I have a feeling it's major problem.

If you are savvy with a video camera YouTube sure need a video on this process. I here a person can make a few extra bucks with how to videos.

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Yeah I changed the fluid after watching a YouTube video on the procedures. My steering is back and hopefully it stays that way. We had another problem the overhead console "Temperature and Direction" had quit working awhile back. While I was working on the truck my wife searched YouTube in reference to that problem. Turns out there are two resistors that get cold solder joints. Fixed that too.
    Thanks our forum rocks. I posted twice on the TacomaWorld and never received one reply.
    rick yes that's a Big A$$ Smile
    Last edited by TopPredator; 05-09-2015 at 09:13 PM.

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

My Tacoma is a 2011 and another owner just informed me of a Silent recall on the Tacoma's for a frame rot issue. Not sure yet if mine is included but will go to the site and search around to see.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    My Tacoma is a 2011 and another owner just informed me of a Silent recall on the Tacoma's for a frame rot issue. Not sure yet if mine is included but will go to the site and search around to see.

GaryL
    I had mine sprayed in Feb they made a damn mess with that S#+t. I hate Rock Salt now they are spraying brine super concentrate rock salt. While I was laying on my back figuring what it would take to replace the rack. Rust another 10 years and I'll turn it into a Rat Rod

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links