Shooting the breeze in Crete .....
Close

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Purple
  • 5 Post By Purple
  • 1 Post By Purple

Thread: Shooting the breeze in Crete .....

Shooting the breeze in Crete .....

Decided to go to Crete for the next few weeks – it’s been a long hard journey over the last four months, sorting out a variety of financial issues, juggling retirement with expectations and realities – but I’m finally there – where I “need” to be to make decisions – or even have the “freedom” to make those choices. Took it pretty much to the edge – but survived ……..

With all that now behind me, I can relax – no longer “working like a dog for the man”. It’s been a long time coming, 40 years, but it’s made who I am, and I’ve no regrets over that.

The transition to retirement has been easy enough – My “career” has been varied, from dispatch rider to teacher, you name it, and I’ve done it. Never had particular “aims” in my life – just content to succeed at whatever I do – or learn from my mistakes along the way (still learning, but I wouldn’t have it any other way – always been open to experience) ……..

To those of you who have found this peace – enjoy. To you who still seek it – it will come, (be patient).

It’s close to 80 degrees out here (just to rub it in). Rethymnon on the North coast, although stupidly hot and full of tourist in the Summer, is a lot more laid back at the beginning of the season. The locals, 50% of them on motor-bikes, for the most part behave themselves – but with the local police on (what look like KTM’s) and tooled up, they seem to have reached a compromise. Mostly step-throughs, with the odd BMW or Ducati spicing things up (I’ve even seen a couple of later Triumphs and a Trans-Alp or two), but with a speed limit of 20mph around town, which everyone seems to stick to, whatever helmet laws they have over here don’t seem to apply in town, with some scooters three-up. It seems to work for them, and everyone just “rolls with the flow”. Different story up in the mountains, pretty much as you’d expect.

Greek “health and safety” has always been “Whatever didn’t kill us yesterday, is good enough for tomorrow”. I can’t help but admire the optimism. Maybe that’s why I come here – to “get away from it all” …….

Seen one TW so far – rust bucket, but quite unmistakeable. Hope to get a few pics over the coming days to give you a feel for the place. Meanwhile – this is the view from the balcony ……
    mudbug and dette like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Congratulations on making it! That looks like a great place to relax, I retire next summer and I plan to visit Evenley for a month, from 1970 to 1974 I grew up in the small village my Dad was stationed at RAF Upper Hayford I am now old enough to enjoy the Red Lion Pub. You look like a rock star enjoying the sun.http://redlionevenley.com/
    Last edited by ZDR1; 05-09-2015 at 12:33 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I’m still very conscious of the hard time both the Cretans (and the Greeks) have had recently. Sod the details – if someone’s up against it, then you get stuck in. Besides, retiring at 50 is a perfectly reasonable goal. I was discussing this with a local recently, and he made a very valid argument (he was 49).

“Slightly” less than the UK allowance of 67 – but it’s so nice here (both the land and the people) that I’m disinclined to argue with those, who after all, are my hosts.

When you go to Spain, you see entire hill-side hotel complexes abandoned during construction, multi-million dollar projects halted half-way through. Here in Crete, it’s single dwellings that are concrete shells, some-one’s personal dream that an economy decided couldn’t happen – not some conglomerates greed driven empire.

There’s something more “honest” about this place, and although I was here a year ago – ( given the number of tourist that have been through here since then) – so far I have been recognised in every place I’ve been in. The people here are “working at it” – and they deserve to succeed.

Z – that place is an hour from mine – although I’ll be migrating shortly. Couple of months at most – but while I’m still there, you’re most welcome …………..
    ZDR1 likes this.

- Hidden Content

Sponosred Links