Hello from a TW200 newb
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Hello from a TW200 newb

Hello from a TW200 newb

Hey everyone, new member here. Quick bio: I've been riding for about 4 years, and recently moved to an Island in Alaska. My other bike is a Concours 14, and seeing as most of the roads here are gravel I decided to start shopping for a new set of (two) wheels. I spent a few weeks reading online about the pros and cons of a few different bikes, but originally I was kind of set on a KLR650 (because I had always been a kawi man) I ended up just walking in to the local bike dealer and checking out what they had, and sure enough sitting right by the door I saw a funny looking little motorcycle with big fat tires and a generally quirky look about it. I immediately fell in love, and walked (rode) out the door with a TW200. I've had it for a couple weeks now, but due to generally junky weather I've only put 150 miles on it so far, however I look forward to doing much more riding this summer.

I took my girlfriend for a ride on it today, and now she wants one too. What have I gotten myself in to?

And as a purchaser of a bone stock 2015 tw what are some must have mods that the gurus recommend I invest in? I love being off road, although I will be commuting fairly often on pavement. I'd say 50/50 dirt pavement. my other favorite vehicle is an 89 XJ with 33s and a 6" lift. I pull 4 wheelers out of the mud with that thing
    Last edited by KodiakFlyer; 05-22-2015 at 01:21 AM.

Yamaha TW200 Parts and Performance - ProCycle It's got almost everything you will need.
    Jon
    TWilight likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Take a look at the “sticky” regarding racks – the tails on the TW’s have a pretty low load rating from stock, and you’ll need something to mount a spare fuel can onto. Standard tank runs to 100 miles (it gets higher depending on how much you use the throttle, but 100 is pretty much a ball-park figure) so for longer trips (and taking the pressure out of being lost) spare fuel can on a rear rack will save you some grief. You could opt for a larger “Clarke” tank, but in my opinion in ruins the looks for only a little gain (plenty of info on the site on that subject too).

If you get on with the front tire, all is good – if not, you might want to change it out – again, there is a “sticky” on the subject that will make your brain melt (I know it did mine) – the stock rear tire is as good as it gets.

“O” or “X” ring chain now ,will save you a lot of time and effort in a few months.

Check your tire pressures as they are often over filled at the shop – 18psi front and rear to start with and see how you get on.

“Bark Busters” to protect your handlebar levers are a good idea, as you’re bound to put the bike down in the rough at some point.

Other than that – get used to the bike first before you splash out on anything else – work out what you’d like, need, or fancy, read up on the site about the subject, and ask questions before you spend money on an item that turns out to be rubbish. There are a lot of people who have done the whole “trial and error” thing on most products available – so ask first and save yourself some grief.

You'll find the manuals here https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...r-manuals.html

Welcome to the mad house ……..
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Nicely written Purple.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

rbm
    Hello and welcome! Do some reading here, the notes Purple made are well worth looking into, especially the chain.

Welcome to the forum. What most folks dont' realize is that Kodiak is not so big as to run out of fuel. Of course if you are out on an extended camp some extra would be necessary. For the most part you can run all day on a tank putting around. You know your needs most.

You did the right thing getting a TW over the bigger faster bikes. I bought my first one in 03 when I went to Alaska. I have a place in Palmer north of Anchorage about 40 mi. It is perfect for the gravel bars, glacier silt, peat bog areas and the run to the grocery store. I generally just use a backpack for taking goodies along on day trips. It sits on the seat and is really not noticeable or cumbersome while riding. An extra gallon of gas strapped to the rear is easy enough to do. Enjoy your new ride, you couldn't have made a better choice.
    TWilight likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    LT, stop encouraging that Purple rider from England...and his constant...get on with this, and get on with that. And remember, he likes the itty bitty fuel tanks the bike comes with, and doesn't like the "looks" of a Clarke tank, so.........on that idea.

KodiakFlyer, do yourself a big favor...buy a Clarke fuel tank...preferably the 2.7 gallon, and then sell your stock tank to Purple, as he collects them. Make sure that Purple pays the shipping costs to ship that tank from Alaska to England.

Oh...and WELCOME to the Greatest Show on Earth. Kodiak is a beautiful place to live, and ride.

BTW, everything else that Purple said was...spot on
    Stop pickin on Purple. He's a good guy. He just hasn't experienced having a larger tank....yet. Everyone else knows bigger tanks are great!!!! I hate gassing up every other day!!! Ride On Purple and don't listen to that Twilight guy....ha ha
    TWilight and Purple like this.
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Littletommy - you have to understand that Mike has bumped his head whilst mowing a lawn (go figure) - stitched himself up - posted his "exploits" up on a web site etc - and as such is obviously suffering from his experience - (you know how head wounds can be).

On the up-side - he hasn't inserted a steel plate in his own skull, so remains (relatively) safe to stand next to in a thunderstorm.

Hmmmm - thinking about it - scratch that last bit ........

Still in Crete at the moment (life's a bitch - so's the internet connection). Went horse riding today – first time. The horse must have been 8 feet high at the saddle. The “guide” said “Can you put your foot in the stirrup” – I replied “Do I look like a member of the Russian Ballet” ?

You just “know” when something ‘aint right – and that goes for Clarke tanks, just the same as it goes for horses ………
    littletommy and TWilight like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

I do love my Clarke tank. Yeah, Mike's not right in the head.. snicker snicker...he he I still love him anyway though.
    TWilight likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links